what is the purpose of calf work?

Melclear

Cathlete
Hi Cathe (and others) -

I just previewed LIS, and watching all the calf work made me wonder what the benefits are of specifically pumping the calves. I feel like my calves are already rock solid just from walking, running, step, etc -- I already can't fit into most regular boots. Is there some other benefit to working them in isolation?

If it's relevant, my calves are also the only part that gets sore when I do lunges, sometimes so sore that I can't touch them for 2 days. Does that mean I should be working them more?

Thanks for any insight you can offer! And thanks for the great new workouts -- I just did HIS and had a blast!

Mel

Not Cathe here, but I'm one of those people who have skinny calves... so I love any type of calf work. I feel like doing it in addition to the leg exercises just kinda balances you out.

Agree with delfin! I'm happy any time calf work is included. In fact, I hate that other instructors seem to completely ignore the calves in so-called 'leg' workouts. Last time I checked my calves were part of my legs.:7 Thanks Cathe for always remembering that!:) :)

PS--Sorry I didn't address the OP's question at all. :)

Mel:

since your calves are already well-developed, the work that you do for them via running, etc, is enough. Personally, I hardly ever do calf work for that same reason: they get worked a lot during power walking, running and step. No more needed.

Clare

I love the calf work as well. My calves are the only muscle on my whole body that do not get defined no matter WHAT!!! My husband says I have "low lying calves"...maybe I need to google that and look into it. I think I will right now...He says since I have that, I will never develop obvious definition...
:( Clarissa

I feel your pain Clarissa. I read once that calf muscle development has a LOT to do with genetics. My dad has pretty defined calves but not my mom. I guess that's where I get that from:-(

Both my Mom AND my Dad have big calf muscles. I always skip calf work, just don't need anymore work there.

Hi Mel! Our genetics play a big role in our calf muscle development. Some people have large "long belly" calves, some have high round "short belly" calves, etc. We have no control over the shape we were given, but we do have control over making the calf shape we do have, the most conditioned and strongest that we choose too. A person who genetically has a long big calf, will have that look with minimal effort. People might say to them "wow, what do you do to get your calves so big" and many times they really don't do anything overly special. Others who may have a smaller calf shape/contour, may work super hard to give their natural shape the fullest possible look it can have but still feel their hardest effort is not reflected in the shape they have.

I think calves, like with any muscle, need to be trained and "shocked" with different exercises to keep them conditioned and performing to their fullest potential. If you avoid training them, but continue to train other muscle groups of the leg, you might find yourself running into muscle imbalance issues which can bring on or make you prone to unecessary injuries of the lower leg.

Hope this helps!

I have big ol' calves. My friend calls them "cows." Ha-ha. A loooooong time ago, I asked Cathe how I could reduce their size. She answered with something to the effect of she'd rather have the power the calves can give than a smaller, less effective muscle. I began to appreciate my lower leg in a new way. Sure, they're big, but the allow me to jump higher, step longer, lift heavier, etc. I just loved that answer and was so glad she responded that way.

I love Cathe's calf work. And I think 4-Day Split's LIS's calf work is wonderful!

I just wanted to share I did the Calf work from the 4 day split. Did all of it minus the weight part, and I can't believe the doms I've had for a couple days now. The day after, I was thinking, geez my legs feel sore, then it hit me. It was the calf work. I've never had doms like this before, and I think it's the way Cathe has you work your calfs in all different angles. Amazing how just turning your toes works a different part of your calfs. I am loving this series.

OK, I have been reading this forum for some time, couple of years and I feel really dumb asking but what are DOMS's? I know it has to do with sore muscles but what does it stand for?
Julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.