What is the easiest way to learn new steps?

BuffySummers

I am a dedicated Firm Believer, but I do Cathe tapes now and then for some variety. I would like to do 2 tapes per week but am bound to get tired of doing the 2 I know currently (step Heat and Mega Step Blast). So I did Step Jam yesterday and while I got most of it, some of it lost me and frustrated me. I also have Step Works, but that looks more complicated still.

I have used the slow-mo button on my VCR to exhaustion and still have trouble with some steps. Suggestions here would be fabulous. Thanks.

Break it down

Hi there. What portion of the tape is vexing you? Maybe we can help you out with that, at least. This is a challenging tape, for sure.

The bottom line with step is you have to break down the move and get it straight in your head, right? Pull the tape out at a time when you are NOT working out--go to the part that is giving you trouble. Throw just the bench on the floor, no risers.
Watch it several times--concentrate first just on the feet, and say out loud what the feet are doing. As you figure out a part, stop the tape and practice that part. Break it down as small as you need to.

Things that usually throw people--some moves we tap down and change leads. Other moves you do NOT change lead foot-you just keep going right, left, right, left. Watch to see if the lead foot is changing between moves. That might be throwing you off.
On turning moves, watch if Cathe is turning to face in towards the step, or out to face the side wall. Chances are it is something small you are doing backwards if a particular combo is giving you grief.

Repitition is key. Eventually it clicks in your head. If it doesn't, you can substitute basics/v-steps/knee ups/over-the-tops for that one segment so you don't have to stop dead every time you do the tape. Don't fret, though, I am sure you will get it. :)

i know what you mean about cathe's step tapes. i love cathe but i can never master those dancy, complex step tapes. i have so many and tried so many times. her strength tapes are great and so is cathe but i wish she'd do an athletic step tape for a change.

What I have to do with a new tape

I have to watch it first. At least the complicated parts, I fast forward through the more basic parts. But most of all esp. with Cathe I find that if I really listen to her and not watch I get the move better. She gives really great verbal cues. And when im craning my neck to look at her feet, I tend to get all confused :) But maybe im just a hearing person and not as visual as some people.

But when im learning a new tape, I try to do one or two sections of a tape that I already know to get in a good workout then tackle the new tape one section at a time. That way I slowly add the new stuff in.

And I love Step Jam. Its one of my fav's for those days when I dont want to workout. Bring on that shuffle repeater!!!!

http://www.mosquitonet.com/~goomba/Turtle.jpg

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.