What is the best way to get better at push ups?

Loralie

Cathlete
Hi,

I am not new to Cathe workouts but I am new to STS. I just started disc 1 yesterday. I am sore today!!! I love cathe's step workouts and cardio workouts but I have never done any weight workouts...till now.

Needless to say...my push ups suck! What is the best way to get better at push ups? When I try to do push ups on my toes, I feel like I can't go all the way down. When I do them on my knees I can go much lower. Should I just stay with the knees since I can go lower or should I keep trying on the toes and then go to the knees when I can't take it anymore?

Thanks,

Loralie

For me what helped was starting with my arms on a elevated surface like a chair or a step with several risers underneith. I started with a height that allowed me to do a certain rep range. Once that rep range got easy I would then lower the height of the step. I continued this until I was on the floor. Having the upper body on a elevated surface makes it easier. I also focused on using full range of motion throughout each level. I could have done pushups on my knees until the cows came home and it just didn't progress me to good form on my toes. I hope this helps.

This is very helpful. Thanks! I know that my push ups suck now, as I haven't done strength training in about a year. I have the same issue as the OP and, I was wondering how to get back to push ups on the toes as well.

You could also try holding a high plank during the push-ups. Maybe do a few push-ups, hold a high plank, then do a few more. I also agree with doing them on a step riser or a high step. Sometimes that makes push-ups more manageable, until you can do them all.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I will be doing disc 2 tomorrow, I don't know if there are push ups in that disc yet but if there are I will use the step at a higher level.

Thanks again for the help!

Loralie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.