What is the best Bodybug-type thingy?

tralaiven

Cathlete
I am very interested in getting something like the Bodybug...but I do not know where to begin. So for those of you who have a body-monitoring do-hickey...

I don't especially need heart-rate. But I would like something that tracks calories burned and taken in and energy expended and all that...

What do you have and/or like? I am also interested in cost factor.

Thanks

I dont have one so cant spk from personal experience but I have heard that the Fit Bit is pretty nifty and far less of a drain on the wallet then those more expensive models. HTH. :)

I had a bodymedia a few years ago, loved it, wore it 23 hours a day. Tracked calories burned, sleep patterns and seemingly other things that I can't recall right now! You could log food online so you could compare cals in vs out. I think it was around $200 & approx. $8-10/month for the online aspect. Very, very cool toy to geek out with. Eventually after about 2 years, the armband made me breakout from where the metal touches the skin. I then tried the fitbit. It's nice but not as techie. Since it didn't touch my skin (usually I had it my pocket), I figured it can't possibly be as accurate and was more of a pedometer, which is still cool. It was only around $100 and no monthly fees. You could still log cals online and compare in vs out. Again that was about a year or so ago and I think they've improved things. I broke mine. Fitbit is way more discrete. Bodymedia or any with an armband is a commitment. You are supposed to wear it all day for it to be really accurate. I use a HRM now only when working out and it always shows a much higher calorie burn than either the bodymedia or fit bit. IMO, bodymedia was probably the more accurate for a true daily account of calories burned, but they all have their place. Again, it's been a while since I've used both, so hopefully someone using either now can be of more help to you.

I had a go wear fit for a couple of years (like body bug). Loved it. Husband bought a fitbit for himself, after a month or so he stopped using it. I used both the fit bit and the gowearfit for a couple weeks to compare. The calorie count for very similiar. I have opted to use the fitbit going forward. There is no monthly fee, the website is great for tracking, and you can wear it anywhere. One huge issue, the fitbit has stopped working on several occasions. It just died, or would stop syncing with the website. Fitbit has replaced them each time, but I think I have had 5 in 2 years.

I don't think either device is accurate on cycling or weight lifting, so I add those workouts manually to my tracking.

HTH :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.