What is it about running

msbowman

Cathlete
I know that there are some of you that really enjoy running. What is it that you enjoy so much? I, personally, can't stand it. I don't get it, I don't even like to jog. I can go for about 20 minutes and that's it, I'm bored to tears. I know Cathe has steady state in her rotations and I do my best to get through it, but when I know that day is coming I just dread it. I usually end up doing HIIT instead. I know there's no steady state running police out there(at least I don't think there is;)), is it okay to do the HIIT instead of steady state? Is it as beneficial as running?

Okay, now I'm off to do KPC :7 .

Sally

Being a "running convert" myself, I remember when I felt the same as you do. I was in the military where you are required to run 1 1/2 miles (timed) or swim a certain length. I am totally NOT a swimming at all (I paddle, that's it!) so I was left with either running or drowning!
I learned to enjoy the "me" time found in running and learned to concentrate on my breathing. What I really enjoy about it, though is that I can go out and enjoy the morning, and think about stuff and not have to concentrate on footwork, kicks, combos, etc. I let my mind wander and pretty soon, 3.5 miles is gone!

I love steady state running, but can't stand intervals! I'd rather run for hours rather than do an interval run. What I like about running is that, after I've been running for a while, I kind of get into a comfortable pace and then I'm not thinking about what I'm doing anymore as far as running, I start thinking about other things - it's like meditation for me. I have 4 kids at home and I never have any quiet time. Running gives me the opportunity to really think about things and clear out my head if that makes sense.

If I were you, I would choose a steady state Cathe workout on the days she calls for a steady state run and save your HIIT work for a day that calls for intervals to stick more closely to her rotation, but I'm sure that anything you do will be fine. I don't think there's any point in doing a run that you dread.

Erica

I never thought about it, but it's the steady state runs that I enjoy and get lost in thought with.

I am a "slow twitch" person, and intervals, sprints, stuff like that kill me! But I can run for 1 1/2 hrs, except mine is more of a wog (walk/jog).

well i run outdoors so i can enjoy just watching life in general. the animals the people, the way the clouds look in the sky. i do running anyway i feel for that day. some days its a nice steady state other days i just run in intervals. not organized really but i just go where the feet take me for however long i feel. and i think intervals training is just as benefical as running.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

I have to agree with you guys......I love the steady state running. I also make sure to have music to listen to and before I know it I am running to the beat of the song. I love that sense of accomplishment when I am coming aroung the corner and see my house. I challenge myself to see how long it takes for me to get to the door, just something that I do.

Unfortunately I live in South Florida and right now there is no way that one can go outside not even in the morning because it is so humid that it's hard to breath. So from now until it starts to cool off a bit I do my cardio indoor but definitely prefer to be outside, being on the treadmill feels like hours compared to time flying when I am outside.

Try it, don't give up on it. I was the like you but in time it was great.

Lynn

I think most of us runners do it for several reasons. I started way back in High School mainly for weight control and I had a tough Volleyball coah that made you run alot in practice daily. I guess I never really stopped. I prefer trails now mostly because of the beauty of the surroundings. I run slow now as my fast days are behind me. When I finish a marathon or 50K it is hard to explain the sense of accomplishment that comes over you...:)...it is truly an awesome experience. Running has also helped me deal with stress, but in my opinion any kind of workout can help there!! So run if you want to and do KPC if you'd rather...:)

The rules of HIIT is to do it about 3 days per week an no more because it is very stressing on your heart. Which is good...unless you are doing it too much, then it's just too much stress.

For most, it's the first 20 minutes (1.5-2 miles) that are always the hardest! I never enjoyed running until I started running a bit further...past that warm-up point. Then it becomes an incredibly addictive drug!

Lynn, I know what you mean about humidity. I live in Pensacola and it's just as humid here! I actually go out and run at 0600 on Tuesdays, now just so it's cooler. I had to give up my Saturday runs because it was at 1600 (before work) and it's too hot then. Traded it in for Cathe Cardio.

WOW, there are alot of you who do love it! I guess my problem is I DON'T want to think while I'm working out. At least not about my everyday stuff. I enjoy the distraction of the step combos, kicks, punches and whatnot. I guess that's my "calgon, take me away" time. I will however, keep trying and pushing myself. Who knows, maybe someday I will learn to love it.

Oh, and I also do a "wog" or jog. The hard running is just to hard on my knees(I really feel it the next day).

Thanks everyone for enlightning me on the power of running.

Sally

It is very emotional for me. I was a runner for decades but now I can't run anymore due to an unhappy hip joint. I can't tel you how much I miss it.
What I miss the most is marathon trainings. First, picking the next race, study the map, the elevation, water stations etc. Then training starts, either 18 or 24 weeks, choosing a challenging time goal and work towards it or just run for fun on a family vacation. Planning out long, steady, tempo and speed runs, it was so much fun. Running in all wheater conditions -- rains, heat waves -- at the end putting the miles proudly in the training log. Finishing the first marathon is a very unique feeling that I dare to say effects your whole life. Qualifying for Boston is also a fantastic feeling, though for me was not as emotional then crossing the first finish line.
To me running was not a form of exercise, it was a life style. I was a runner, and I easily recognised other runners out there. I could always talked to other runners not even knwowing them at all but just sharing the same passion. There was always a special bond at races, but even stronger camaraderie at marathons. Maybe I miss that camaraderie the most.
Finally, running gets you those endorphins the fastest!

lifestyle...very well put! It's like a hobby for several, self included. The camaraderie is the absolute best! The last runner in is just as important as the 1st runner in. No one looks down at each other but encourages and cheers for one another.

Sally,

I'm right with you. I really can't stand running. I've tried and tried thoughout the years and I just can't get over the "dread factor" and the joint soreness that always accompanies the running. It's funny because I just bought a REALLY nice treadmill a couple of weeks ago. I love to do climb/walk/run intervals on it and I find I can go longer and harder if I limit my running to 1-2 minute segments(running as fast as possible) and then cranking up the incline as high as it will go with a brisk,walking pace. I can do this for over an hour and time just flies by. Last night I watched the Matrix and did my intervals and the time flew.

Carolyn

I'm mostly echoing what others have said, but when I get out on a run I fall into a meditative state. I enjoy the peace it brings me. Plus, running works you like nothing else I have found. Then there's the trail runs... I'm a former mountain biker who has a passion for speed. There's nothing like running a fast downhill single track where you have to be aware of every inch of terrain and where you put your feet. I feel like I'm flying without ever leaving the ground, and it's a lot closer to fall off my feet than to fall off my bike (I've done both - believe me the bike hurts more!)...

I have a love/hate relationship with running. I was on the track team at high school and I was a very poor runner but my friends and sister was on the team so I had fun just the same. We didn't really have a great team so I guess I fit in. Over the years I have tried to get into running but it was so hard to build endurance. Right now I run intervals with both walking and running bleachers. I'll usually walk a lap, run a lap and then run bleachers 3 or 4 times in a row and then repeat the cycle 4 or 5 times. Sometimes I will run sprints as well. I live in Southwest Georgia/North Florida and have learned to love the heat. I prefer to run at night because it's less humid. I recently re-enrolled in a local boot camp that is held for 4 weeks, 3 nights week. Yesterday we ran with "rifles" (ok..they were actually pipes but we pretended). It was 95+ degrees outside but it was the best workout. In between the running, we did walking lunges, sprints and military presses. I believe we ran longer than 400 meters and I kept up most of the way (ok, I stopped once when I thought I was going to throw up) but when another girl passed me, I started running again. Now I think I will bring my 8 pound med ball to the track and carry it when I run bleachers. OK...I am a sick person. In any case, I just wanted to illustrate the various ways you can incorporate running into your workout.

I commend all of you runners out there, HIGH FIVE!! I truly do understand the adrenaline rush and the endorphines that are released. I did enjoy the relays in Jr. High, just not the long distance runs. I guess maybe running just isn't my cup of tea, at least not at this point in my life..........if it ever will be. I'll do what I have to do to add variety, but I won't like it.........at least not all of it, HAHAHAHA!

Thank you for the insight.

pixie9

Thank you, at least I know I'm not alone, LOL.

I absolutely hate running. I find it boring and I always ned up with a painful stitch in my side. Personally, I am a hiker. I've begun working on hiking all of NY States 46 high peaks, often loaded with camping gear and ibuprofen and sometimes....a rootbeer. Fantastic exercise rewarded with a great view, fun times with friends, and knees that scream. Yippee!

I'm in the middle of the pack. I never enjoyed running before (actually "wogging", my joints can't take a full out run). But, recently I've been trying to keep my heart rate in its target zone and I found it difficult to do because I have so many hills in my area. I get the HR way up walking up hill, but it plummets to almost resting going downhill. So I started jogging the downs and flat areas.

As long as I have my Ipod on, I'm not thinking about anything - just listening to the music and I just go. I'm really starting to get ticked at my body because I can't run more. I generally "wog" for about 45 minutes (I love that term, wog - it's so perfect for what I do :7 ). I agree with the person who said it kicks in after the first 20 min. Until I started going for longer, I couldn't stand running. Now I look forward to it.

Sally, I used to feel that way too. I always used to dread it because the time went SO SLOW! Then I discovered the joys of downloading music into my MP3 and listening to it while I run. Now I LOVE it. I always make sure to have really great "pump" music, as I like to call it. The music really pushes me and now I really love running. I look forward to my running days now (well, not my interval run day, because I hate interval runs... they kick my butt). I do agree that after you get past the first couple miles you just kind of settle into a groove. Plus, running seems to give me the best endorphin high afterwards, and I feel great all day!

The only reason I kept pushing myself to run was because I heard it was great for slimming your legs. Now I do it because I truely enjoy it. If you really want to add running to your workouts, give it time. It gets easier.

Katie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.