What is a good heart rate monitor ?

Tallchick

Cathlete
I have no idea which one to get. I don't care about a calorie count, but I would like one to let me know what my heart is doing. Also one that is comfortable and easy to program. Also how much is reasonable to spend? Thank you.

I have the Polar F6, I think it was around $99 at Dick's. The F4 is a little cheaper , around $79. I like the calories burned feature, it was pretty easy to program.

There has been a lot of good advice on different types of heartrate monitors that people are using--put in heart rate monitor in the search section and a whole bunch of info will be there for you to pick through.
Good luck!!
Mary

Can't go wrong with a Polar...any model. Get the calorie counter! It is so awesome! You'll wish you had it. They come with most of the models. Get one with a chest strap for a constant reading/record of your heart rate. You pretty much forget that it is there. It becomes part of your workout attire after a while!

Mine is an F11...has more bells and whistles, which is fun!

have you guys seen the new heart rate monitors that look like a semi glove. It has a finger sensor and you dont have to use a chest strap. It has out of heart rate zone,stop watch and calorie counter. It is around 150.00 though. I am thinkin of getting one.

Thank you all, I am going to spend up to $100.00. I am not sure of the calorie counter--what if I find out I am not burnig as much as i thought LOL!!

I have a Nike Imara HRM that I really like. It has all of the things you would want (HR, time in, above and below your zone, calories burned, etc.). I paid about $70 for it new on eBay. The main reason I liked the Nike over the Polar is because you can change the battery yourself. With the Polars, you have to send them to Polar to have the battery changed. There is also new one called the Mio Shape Select, that doesn't need a chest band. If I didn't already have one, that is the one that I would probably buy. Most HRM will run about $100 (including the Nike at Nike.com).

I know that Polar wants you to send your HRM to them (or someone they recommend) to replace the battery, but I took mine to a jewelry store in the mall and they replaced it for $3 in about 5 minutes. I would also second getting the Polar brand because it tends to be compatible with a lot of cardio machines. In fact, I haven't seen cardio equipment being compatable with anything other than Polar.
I have 2 and have purchased 5 of them over time(I've given 3 as gifts).

carolyn

I had forgotten that you could take the Polars to jewelry stores. However, I just found it more convenient to change the battery myself (plus, I recall something about Polar potentially voiding the warrenty if anyplace other than an "authorized dealer" changed the battery). My Nike Imara is compatible with all of the machines at my present gym and all of the gyms that I've worked out in since I purchased it (I travel a good bit). I guess it is possible that it might not be compatible with older machines, but I've not had any trouble with that. Another reason I like it over the others is that it is smaller. I have small wrists and the Polars were chunkier.

I just read the the new Mio Shape Select doesn't give you a continuous HR unless you have the chest strap on (it does come with one), but will allow you to get a point in time HR by placing 2 fingers on a sensor on the monitor. In a few seconds, you get your HR. Since it doesn't give you a continous HR (which most monitors use with other variables like weight and age to calculate calories burned), it isn't clear to me if it will give you calories burned without the strap. Just something to think about if that feature is important to you.

I think it will come down to personal preference for you. All of the bigger name brands will have the features that you are looking for, and are all about the same price. Best of luck on the search.

>I know that Polar wants you to send your HRM to them (or
>someone they recommend) to replace the battery, but I took
>mine to a jewelry store in the mall and they replaced it for
>$3 in about 5 minutes. I would also second getting the Polar
>brand because it tends to be compatible with a lot of cardio
>machines. In fact, I haven't seen cardio equipment being
>compatable with anything other than Polar.
>I have 2 and have purchased 5 of them over time(I've given 3
>as gifts).
>

I believe I read the primary reasons they (Polar) do this is to insure your watch is "safe for use" under water (if yours can be used swimming like mine) and to guarantee your warantee. If you take it to an outside jewelry store to replace the battery Polar will null and void your warantee....the jewelry store is not an authorized Polar dealer and "may not" have replaced the back properly etc. My model is a more expensive model (S610i) and I reluctantly choose to send it out to have the battery replaced after 3 years (even though I never swim with it)...they were prompt, efficient and they even checked my transmitter which, incidently, didn't need replacing (for free). It only took about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. I thought it was best to have it done by the company just in case I some day decide to swim with it;) I really can't complain about the company at all. So far I've had the watch about 4 years or so with no problems. It was one of the best fitness investments I've ever made:)

Robin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.