What is “Active Aging?

forum_admin

Administrator
Staff member
thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg

What is “Active Aging?​

Let’s be honest, we all age. There’s a stigma about the idea of aging and what it means for our bodies, our abilities, and our overall quality of life. None of us are immune to being a bit worried when we start to see and feel the inevitable changes that start to happen.

Whether the first changes we experience are in our physical appearance, our physical stamina, a loss of strength, a change in our joints, balance, or any number of things, it’s a wake-up call that like everyone else, we too will need to adjust our lifestyles to complement our physical and mental well-being.
Aging is scary for many, but we need to change the way that we view aging and everything that it entails.

So, what exactly is “active aging.” It can mean different things depending on the subject matter at hand, but overall, active aging is how we can feel our best with each passing year by focusing on the activities that keep our bodies and our minds equipped for life.

Physical activity is key when it comes to aging. Just because your body is changing, doesn’t mean you have to quit exercising. In fact, it couldn’t be more the opposite. Staying active as we age is the best way to keep our minds sharp, our bodies strong, and our overall well-being at the forefront of everything that we do.

My new series, Lift, Move & Restore: Functional Training for the Active Aging Lifestyle, was created mainly for (but not limited to) active adults who are starting to feel some changes in their bodies and abilities, but who also still enjoy a solid workout that makes them feel strong and accomplished. We aren’t quite ready for what many consider to be “senior fitness”, but maybe plyometrics are on the way out for us and more functional strength, balance, flexibility, and recovery training are on the way in.

We still want to get sweaty, but we don’t want to feel defeated. We can adjust our weight load, resistance, and pace, and we can still challenge our bodies to maintain a fitness level worthy of everything we’ve done and continue to do.

We will focus on low impact power and power through strength, balance, and motion in multiple planes, and how we need to incorporate all these elements to keep our bodies primed for daily living.

To PreOrder Cathe's Lift, Move & Restore: | Click Here |​

I'd like to know more. This isn't an intermediate level workout. Great to hear it is low impact. I have no problem lifting heavy, but flexibility is less for sure. I take more recovery days. This series sounds very good, but I don't want to back off and lose ability. If that makes sense.

I'd like to know more. This isn't an intermediate level workout. Great to hear it is low impact. I have no problem lifting heavy, but flexibility is less for sure. I take more recovery days. This series sounds very good, but I don't want to back off and lose ability. If that makes sense.
Vivbc, you bring up a concern I've had about the requests for workouts from Cathe for us older Cathletes. So many workouts geared toward the aging population seem to assume you're just beginning to exercise. I don't want to experience a decrease in my fitness level either (& assume that's true for all of us). But I'm aware my body has lost or is struggling to maintain some flexibility & balance. I also noticed my cardio capacity seemed to lessen last year after 5 months of focusing on STS2.0 rotations but thankfully that was easy to remedy. I'm aware that if I don't include more frequent and lengthier stretching and mobility work, that I regress in that regard more quickly than when I was younger. So I'm thinking this series will be a great adjunct to our current regiments. And as I age, I expect joint issues will pop up and I'll have to have something to use while I rehab or adjust. I'm hoping this new series will fit the bill and remind myself "it's Cathe's- of course it will -she doesn't want our fitness levels to regress either!"

I just hope that it’s an equal balance between the Yoga/Pilates stuff & strength& cardio.
No “animal moves”, no plank discs, and less stress on the wrists…. In a way, I guess I am hoping that it’s more standing than on the floor.

So this is from the descriptions:
"Let’s talk about the workouts! This series will include 8 DVDs that utilize functional training methods. Within the series you’ll work on strength, mobility, flexibility, balance, and proper muscle recovery.

1. Functional Core Fusion While many traditional ab exercises focus on the rectus abdominus (the stomach muscles that we imagine when we think of “abs”), the core is much more than just the abs. The core is the center of our bodies which includes the abs, but also includes the pelvis, lower back, and hips. This workout will train the entire core from front to back to ensure that we have overall core strength and flexibility. Training the core in a functional manner, in multiple directions and planes, will ensure that the core is conditioned to serve us better in everyday challenges.
  2. Functional Barre Fusion This fun, low impact workout will utilize higher reps and lighter weights to challenge the entire body with a perfect balance of strength and light cardio. You’ll test your balance, mobility, stability, and flexibility.
  3. Functional Yoga Fusion This yoga inspired routine will blend traditional yoga movements and sequences with additional training modes, methods, and rep patterns to increase strength, mobility, flexibility and body balance.
  4. Functional Mobility Fusion It’s not uncommon for individuals to struggle with stiffness throughout the body, along with some balance challenges, especially as we age. One of the best ways to combat these issues is with mobility training. This workout will include a variety of dynamic exercises designed to increase your range of motion so you can move through your active lifestyle more comfortably, and with improved balance, which will also aid in fall prevention.
  5. Functional Pilates Fusion This active full body conditioning routine will include a mix of classic Pilates movements along with additional workout modalities to tone, and elongate your muscles while also improving posture, alignment, mobility, and flexibility.
  6. Functional Upper Body This complete upper body routine will utilize compound movement, unilateral movement, and moderate weight to challenge the upper body. We will work in multiple planes with strength and conditioning exercises created to train us for everyday life challenges. This workout is designed to promote bone, joint and muscle health.
  7. Functional Lower Body This complete lower body routine will utilize compound movement, unilateral movement, and moderate weight to challenge the lower body. We will work in multiple planes with strength and conditioning exercises created to train us for everyday life challenges. This workout is designed to promote bone, joint and muscle health.
  8. Functional Total Body This complete total body routine will utilize compound movement, unilateral movement, and moderate weight to strengthen and condition us for everyday life challenges. Expect to see some balance challenges throughout to improve body awareness, and aid in fall prevention. This workout is designed to promote bone, joint and muscle health.
*Bonuses, such as low impact cardio, foam rolling, etc. will be included throughout this series"

I'm not seeing anything in regard to Crossfit or MMA-style animal moves - that's a relief ;)

With yoga, there's usually some pressure on the wrists - hopefully Cathe will offer options like using a chair to lessen the pressure. And she mentions "traditional " and "compound" moves so hopefully no discs (except maybe in the core workout for mermaids ;)).

I'm not seeing anything in regard to Crossfit or MMA-style animal moves - that's a relief ;)

With yoga, there's usually some pressure on the wrists - hopefully Cathe will offer options like using a chair to lessen the pressure. And she mentions "traditional " and "compound" moves so hopefully no discs (except maybe in the core workout for mermaids ;)).
That sounds Perfect, Debinmi!!! :):)

So this is from the descriptions:
"Let’s talk about the workouts! This series will include 8 DVDs that utilize functional training methods. Within the series you’ll work on strength, mobility, flexibility, balance, and proper muscle recovery.

1. Functional Core Fusion While many traditional ab exercises focus on the rectus abdominus (the stomach muscles that we imagine when we think of “abs”), the core is much more than just the abs. The core is the center of our bodies which includes the abs, but also includes the pelvis, lower back, and hips. This workout will train the entire core from front to back to ensure that we have overall core strength and flexibility. Training the core in a functional manner, in multiple directions and planes, will ensure that the core is conditioned to serve us better in everyday challenges.
  2. Functional Barre Fusion This fun, low impact workout will utilize higher reps and lighter weights to challenge the entire body with a perfect balance of strength and light cardio. You’ll test your balance, mobility, stability, and flexibility.
  3. Functional Yoga Fusion This yoga inspired routine will blend traditional yoga movements and sequences with additional training modes, methods, and rep patterns to increase strength, mobility, flexibility and body balance.
  4. Functional Mobility Fusion It’s not uncommon for individuals to struggle with stiffness throughout the body, along with some balance challenges, especially as we age. One of the best ways to combat these issues is with mobility training. This workout will include a variety of dynamic exercises designed to increase your range of motion so you can move through your active lifestyle more comfortably, and with improved balance, which will also aid in fall prevention.
  5. Functional Pilates Fusion This active full body conditioning routine will include a mix of classic Pilates movements along with additional workout modalities to tone, and elongate your muscles while also improving posture, alignment, mobility, and flexibility.
  6. Functional Upper Body This complete upper body routine will utilize compound movement, unilateral movement, and moderate weight to challenge the upper body. We will work in multiple planes with strength and conditioning exercises created to train us for everyday life challenges. This workout is designed to promote bone, joint and muscle health.
  7. Functional Lower Body This complete lower body routine will utilize compound movement, unilateral movement, and moderate weight to challenge the lower body. We will work in multiple planes with strength and conditioning exercises created to train us for everyday life challenges. This workout is designed to promote bone, joint and muscle health.
  8. Functional Total Body This complete total body routine will utilize compound movement, unilateral movement, and moderate weight to strengthen and condition us for everyday life challenges. Expect to see some balance challenges throughout to improve body awareness, and aid in fall prevention. This workout is designed to promote bone, joint and muscle health.
*Bonuses, such as low impact cardio, foam rolling, etc. will be included throughout this series"

I'm relieved for no animal style moves. Those do not feel good on my body.

I'm relieved for no animal style moves. Those do not feel good on my body.
I feel 'ya. I did notice tho that on the recent LIVE that Cathe gave an alternative for the "animal" move in the workout. I suspect she won't use them in this series but might in the future for a different type of series or just keep them in the Lives since they seem to be popular now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.