What has everyone been eating lately?

FitGirlGear

I am pretty bored with all the same food I eat. I am actually not on any particular diet right now (95% of the time, I am on some kind of diet), so this is a good time to try new products, experiment with new recipes, supplements, etc.

I have been at Trader Joes just perusing the aisles and reading labels... Always fun to find quality new foods that are good for you and enjoyable. So, what have you all been eating lately? Doing any dieting?

Lunch was some fresh green beans, 1/4 c. of organic chili beans, .5 ounce of cheese and a white nectarine. Very filling. I just nuked the beans/cheese. I am really full. Normally I skip the dairy, but the cheese seemed like the right thing. Mid morning snack was 1 oz. of mixed nuts and a few dark chocolate chips. Breakfast was 3 oz. roast beef (cooked overnight on low) and 1 c. of watermelon.

I am dieting. I am weighing/measuring. I am aiming for my bmr of 1600 cal/day and I am trying to get my deficit from my workouts. I'm aiming for a deficit of around 500 cal/day. I am trying to keep the carbs to clean ones, relatively low, and I aim to get most of my calories from healthy fats. This week I've been upping my vegetable intake, I'm trying to get more fiber.

A lot of home made guacamole, excellent source of healthy fats, calcium and protein for me as a vegetarian.

Also, lots of home made lentil stew: fibre, protein, iron, a whole stack of veggies, Vit A from the carrots, etc. Good stuff, with some parmesan sprinkled on top.

After that, dessert is chocolate!

Clare

I just wrapped up a 21 Day Vegan Kickstart program and LOVED it. Learned a lot of really fabulous new recipes, felt great, and lost 7 pounds without trying (and that I didn't need to lose, but am certainly not complaining about!!!). I'm continuing on with it indefinitely.

It's organized by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, and the recipes for the 21 days were pulled from the NutritionMD website. They are doing another kickstart in January. I highly recommend it!

Quinoa & Wheat berries

In trying to increase my protein intake I've been trying to eat quinoa weekly. Plus quinoa is just an all around excellent grain and source of nutrition.

I've been mixing it with black beans, a bit of corn, onions, salsa, bay leaf, taco seasoning and eating it for lunch.

Yesterday for breakfast I made a "quinoa pancake" - not sure how I thought it up, but I mixed 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa with 1 tsp flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, chopped onions, 1 tbsp. milk and 1 beaten egg white, then cooked it like a pancake. It actually was a very satisfying breakfast.

I also came across wheat berries at the grocery store, so I thought I'd give them a try. I roasted red peppers, zucchini & cubed butternut squash with a sprinkling of olive oil & spices (basil, parsley, cilantro, salt & pepper), then mixed those veggies with a chopped up apple, cranberries, lemon juice, wheat berries & a little more seasoning. The wheat berries have to cook for about an hour, but once you've cooked a batch, they last for a while and you can use them in a variety of ways (savory or sweet). If using savory, cook in chicken broth.

Hope this helps give you some inspiration!

Melanie

Just found a tasty lunch recipe that I'm enjoying right now and it's DELICIOUS!!!

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup lowfat or FF cottage cheese
1/2 cup thawed berries (I'm using blueberries)

Mix it together, add some Stevia to sweeten.

287 calories
48 g carb
5 g fiber
2 g fat (I'm using 1% fat cheese)
20.2 g protein

I don't even like cottage cheese, and I love this.

Daria, you mentioned Trader Joe's and I recently discovered a little jar of giant beans at Trader Joe's that I adore! It's a 12-oz glass jar, and the label reads "Giant White Beans (Fasolia Gigantes)" Half the jar has become my latest snack. Half the jar = 225 cal., 7.5 g fat, 28.5 g carbs, 9 g protein, 9 g fiber. They'd be great on a salad, but I tend to be lazy so I've just eaten them room temperature out of the jar!

I'm not on a diet, as in "lose weight" diet, but I do have a specific diet I follow, which is vegan and wheat-free. I eat a lot of whole grains: oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, corn tortillas; a lot of beans and lentils; tofu; and tons of veggies and fruit. I love spicy food, so lots of my food is flavored with salsa, chutney, or curry sauce (made with Light Coconut Milk.) I have a protein/fruit smoothie almost daily. My "empty calories" come from soy lattes, Daiya vegan cheese, So Delicious brand Coconut Ice Cream, occasional wine, and occasional baked goodies.

Yum quinoa and wheat berries !

I've used them as add ons to many things. Love just taking them and adding veggies (red peppers, onions, celery, radishes, carrots, etc) and sometimes diced chicken, tuna, salmon, etc, with just a little dressing of some sort.

Great mid AM snack or lunch, which I would put ontop of diced romaine or spinach.

What is lovely about wheat berries is their nutty flavor which draws me in hands down !

My other "staples" are protein powder, natural PB, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, veggies, small amounts of fruit and leaner red meat, chicken, pork and fish.

Pretty much eat au natural with a little seasoning, olive oil, balsamic, etc.

And I love love love the La Tortilla low carb high protein tortillas which pack 8 or 9 grams of protein and about 80 - 100 calories. We have carne asada or fish tacos about once per week for a quick dinner and then the leftovers make a great lunch. Make homemade tomato, onion and jalapeno w/lime juice salsa and add some avocado ! Yummy !

In trying to increase my protein intake I've been trying to eat quinoa weekly. Plus quinoa is just an all around excellent grain and source of nutrition.
I just discovered some sprouted/dehydrated quinoa that I've been using as a quick boost to soups. I toss in a 1/4 cup or so when I'm heating up bean-based soups. It makes them more of a stew consistency, and combies really well with the beans or chick peas.

Whats the best food to eat to have a proper diet? Im really lost right now.
You're sure to get varying opinions on this, but some components of an excellent diet:

Real food, not processed.

High in plant foods, especially green veggies.

Limiting most grains, IMO, except for pseudo-grains that are actually seeds-- like quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat--or gluten-free grains like millet.

Choose mainly foods with a high nutrient density (foods that pack a lot of nutritional wallop for the number of calories, like greens), limit or avoid low-nutrient-density foods (foods that have few nutrients compared to calories, like oils and many processed foods).

Go for a variety of colors in fruits and veggies, as colors indicate different nutrient contents.

Avoid: sodas, juices (eat the whole fruit instead, or make 'juice' by blending the whole, peeled fruit), 'vegetable' oils, canola oil corn oil.

For beverage, still mainly to water.

An excellent addition to any diet is a daily green smoothie (combining fruit and greens like baby spinach or kale).

Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat for Health" 2-book series is a good place to start to learn about nutritional excellence.

HTH!

have you ever had a chance to browse through tosca reno's clean eating magazine? she has some great and simple ideas i find. also, maybe check out the library and go through their cook books. You'll find all sorts of ideas - for free! vegan, raw, vegetarian, traditional, indian, thai etc... i take cook books out of the library regularly and my husband photocopies the recipes i've either tried or want to.

Roasted bone in pork shoulder (butt), throw some spices on it you like and roast away. SO good, easy, cheap. Serve with roasted veggies like carrots and potatoes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.