What gets you to move when you think you just can't do it today?

Sometimes I tell myself "do it anyway". Sick, tired, moody, emotional, lazy, whatever. Do it anyway. No sleep, DOMS, headache, bad day at work, fight at home. Do it anyway. Just do it any way.

pre-paving's the name of the game for me...

I love this thread...all good...I find that everything I can do to pre-pave (doing things in advance to 'line me up' in my mind and heart) helps build the momentum. I was very consistent last year and have been this year...for me, pre-paving's the key. Here's a list of some of the things I do:

- Lay out my gym clothes, socks, shoes, everything - the night before.
- Buy gym clothes that I like and feel good in, even tho' no one will see me (i like fashion, so sometimes that moves me...)
- I got rid of ALL of my one size bigger clothes, even the nice ones. Felt like a statement to myself: No turning back, I'm staying this size, period.
- I track my workouts - WO Manager is great, but I'm not always at my computer, so I keep a sign-in sheet. I number my workouts and write what I did and how much time spent. In December I pulled out all the sheets for '08 and laid them across the floor, reveled in the accomplishment, my discipline and spent some time applauding me!
- My goal is minimum 20 workouts a month- at Christmas I was determined to find a way to get them all in, because I'd done it all year, and even tho' we were traveling and it felt crazy-I did it, just because I had that number in my head.
- I get on this forum and read and laugh and feel like there's a group of us doing this together. Nice. I often read the workout DVD comments, as that reminds me of DVD's I'd forgotten about and I usualy get motivated.
- I write lists about what I like about working out and I read it...THIS really works, once you get started, the list just gets this internal buzz going, and I couldn't not. not workout... THIS is by far the biggest pre-paving tool I have, simple-but powerful for me.
- I eat well and cut out wine and drink a ton of water...if I'm nourished, I'm more likely to want to work out, if I'm famished and hung over, even slightly, not likely to feel the desire.
- I make sure I get enough sleep.
-I buy all the fitness mags and I have them around the house...so in down time I'm reading, flipping through and thinking about fitness.

Sounds a little obsessed, doesn't it?? :D There's more I'm sure...that's my list for now...

Most of all last year I re-remembered that if I want to look and feel good, it takes focus. And for me, because I am not naturally lean and fit-looking, that focus is worth it. I like the feeling of being in charge of my life and myself and being in the place of feeling more confident and empowered.

A long post...

Love this Cathe community...and now, can't wait for STS. Woo-hoo!

I love this thread...all good...I find that everything I can do to pre-pave (doing things in advance to 'line me up' in my mind and heart) helps build the momentum. I was very consistent last year and have been this year...for me, pre-paving's the key. Here's a list of some of the things I do:

- Lay out my gym clothes, socks, shoes, everything - the night before.
- Buy gym clothes that I like and feel good in, even tho' no one will see me (i like fashion, so sometimes that moves me...)
- I got rid of ALL of my one size bigger clothes, even the nice ones. Felt like a statement to myself: No turning back, I'm staying this size, period.
- I track my workouts - WO Manager is great, but I'm not always at my computer, so I keep a sign-in sheet. I number my workouts and write what I did and how much time spent. In December I pulled out all the sheets for '08 and laid them across the floor, reveled in the accomplishment, my discipline and spent some time applauding me!
- My goal is minimum 20 workouts a month- at Christmas I was determined to find a way to get them all in, because I'd done it all year, and even tho' we were traveling and it felt crazy-I did it, just because I had that number in my head.
- I get on this forum and read and laugh and feel like there's a group of us doing this together. Nice. I often read the workout DVD comments, as that reminds me of DVD's I'd forgotten about and I usualy get motivated.
- I write lists about what I like about working out and I read it...THIS really works, once you get started, the list just gets this internal buzz going, and I couldn't not. not workout... THIS is by far the biggest pre-paving tool I have, simple-but powerful for me.
- I eat well and cut out wine and drink a ton of water...if I'm nourished, I'm more likely to want to work out, if I'm famished and hung over, even slightly, not likely to feel the desire.
- I make sure I get enough sleep.
-I buy all the fitness mags and I have them around the house...so in down time I'm reading, flipping through and thinking about fitness.

Sounds a little obsessed, doesn't it?? :D There's more I'm sure...that's my list for now...

Most of all last year I re-remembered that if I want to look and feel good, it takes focus. And for me, because I am not naturally lean and fit-looking, that focus is worth it. I like the feeling of being in charge of my life and myself and being in the place of feeling more confident and empowered.

A long post...

Love this Cathe community...and now, can't wait for STS. Woo-hoo!

I really like your strategies - thanks for taking the time to write them out for us!

When I feel like that, I grab my iPod and listen to Jim MacLaren's interview from the Cardio Coach Press Play workout, or sometimes I listen to the Coach's Notes from the various CC workouts. Sean and/or Jim can usually coax me out of my workout funks. ;)

i know it sounds dumb, but i just think of how better i am for working out. i work with a bunch of petty ppl and i feel its the one thing i have over them even if they say working out is "so stupid just eat better". makes me feel stronger in body and spirit. i really get all the emotions of their dumb crap out of my system during a workout then i go to work with a clear head and their comments just bounce off me. they can't touch me i am unstoppable b/c i worked out LOL.

kassia

Hey, are you in my office?! :p That doesn't sound dumb at all, in fact that's what motivates me lately. I don't want to be one of those people that rolls into work, eats a full breakfast at their desk (getting paid to eat?!), surfing the net, reading the newspaper, walking around and hanging over cubicles talking. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's laziness at work. Laziness on a Sunday afternoon is a different story! :D

Classes & good music

When you are feeling sick, tired, emotional, hormonal, at the end of your tether, discouraged, what do you do to get past it and pick up the weights, or get on the step, or start kickboxing the @#%@#% out of things? What motivates you to get moving on days when you just don't want to get out of bed?

And when you just can't do it, just can't make it happen today, are you understanding of yourself, or do you feel guilty? Do you kick yourself when you're down, or treat yourself gently, like you would your friend or child?

P.S. Cathe, if you are reading this, I would love to hear your response to this too.

I like a class setting - other people to work out with & good music! Fun music is such a motivator!

Hey, are you in my office?! :p That doesn't sound dumb at all, in fact that's what motivates me lately. I don't want to be one of those people that rolls into work, eats a full breakfast at their desk (getting paid to eat?!), surfing the net, reading the newspaper, walking around and hanging over cubicles talking. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's laziness at work. Laziness on a Sunday afternoon is a different story! :D

i hate lazy ppl at my job i especially hate ppl so lazy that when they drop food or something they don't even bother cleaning up(we work in a kitchen that is nasty). the ironic part is they talk very harshly about one woman at work when they are what MAYBE a pound or two lighter then she is. the woman has medical issues and is on lots of meds that cause her weight what is their excuse? they are just so jealous b/c they can't make fun of me being big so they instead talk about the way i work, but my bosses seem to like how i get the job done b/c hey i get it done. work is not social hour no matter how bad the job is, do it the best you can. plus moving all the time at work is a great way for me to burn a few extra calories during my day. :) :) i just revel in the jealousy of such hateful ppl. they really hate the "kill em with kindness" mode i get into. in the spring when its short sleeve time i MAY show off some biceps LOL.

i just never got why some ppl insist on being lazy when its so much more fulfilling to know you did a job well done. maybe that is me and my sick sense of living LOL.

kassia

I work out in the evening, so I have to focus a lot to get it done - I'm tired when I get home. Luckily, I work very close to home (one block!), so I run home at lunch to eat and I set up my workout for that evening - pull out whatever workout, I'm going to do, set up the weights and equipment, etc. So when I walk in, it's all there and ready to go. I would have to actually put everything away in order to not workout or sit and look at it all night and feel like a total shlub. Or, I try to set it up before I leave in the morning, if I know I can't get home for lunch.
I also put a big red X over every day I workout, on my Cathe calendar. For the days I miss/skip I have to put a reason - get hair done, work till 8, etc. or, a personal fav is LOSER. (positive reinforcement).
Unfortunately, I have been a total loser for the last several months (mostly because of work) and I'm now trying to get back to being good. Let's hope it works!!

my problem is that i like to nap during the day and read for hours. its hard to get up from the couch til i stand up. sometimes watching a cathe video will help. i totally regret it if i don't workout.

laura

What gets me motivated? I've been at this reshaping my body thing going on two years now, trying to accelerate my results by constantly changing every aspect of what I'm doing except my diet(!). Predictably, with every change I only got so far before results slowed then stopped. When I started losing weight it was like I lost fairly quickly from my head down to my waist, then a bit more slowly from my feet up to just under my knees. For awhile, I continued to lose VERY slowly all over but the reduction was almost unreadable and my thighs, hips, and butt were still way too large. In the back of my mind I always knew I had to food journal and weigh my chow but I resisted until it became obvious I could no longer not do so if I ever wanted to get the ball rolling again.

About three weeks ago I got serious and it's been a real eye opener. I started tracking EVERYTHING and LIKE THAT(!) the weight started melting off my hips, butt, and thighs and reducing everywhere else very quickly. That's what gets me out of bed and forces me to do my workout and give it my all, like never before. The most fun? Looking at my body in my full-length mirror. For years, I doubted my sloping shoulders could be reshaped and my hips reduced to the point that my top and bottom halves could look balanced. When I look in that mirror now I am flat-out shocked at how much slimmer my hips look and how much wider (and less sloped) my shoulders appear in such a short period, after thinking I'd been trying all that time. Diet made the difference. Oh yea, I used to dread working out but now that I'm finally really getting the results I've always been after I loooooove pushing through those workouts on cold winter mornings. I want to be in those short shorts this June and I think I'm going to make it!

When I don't want to get out of bed to workout, I tell myself 'this is where you make the choice of being healthy or overweight.' I get out of bed because I want to be healthy!

Kimberly

motivator

Hi,

My main motivator is that working out always makes me feel better, and not working out makes me feel worse.

I was a morning exerciser for years and when I had to switch to afternoon workouts because of my job, it was quite an adjustment. At first there seemed to be so many detours in the afternoon.

I know this might sound silly, but sometimes I think of the Nike slogan, "Just do it!" I don't allow myself to think about anything but the workout, and I just go put on the clothes, and the shoes, and get going.

Tracy

Now that I am doing my own Cardio Coach premixes, at the end of a long interval, when I think I just can't go anymore, I tell myself "Hey, this was your idea! You wanted to do this! Now move your ass, girlio!" and it works!

When I feel like that, I grab my iPod and listen to Jim MacLaren's interview from the Cardio Coach Press Play workout, or sometimes I listen to the Coach's Notes from the various CC workouts. Sean and/or Jim can usually coax me out of my workout funks. ;)

Oh my Michele! I was listening to CCV5 Coach's notes this morning while stretching and really related to Coach Sean talking about almost running into a man stuffing pizza in his mouth and wiping the grease on his swim trunks! It was very motivating to know I am not the only one who (sometimes) struggles with getting a workout in or giving it my all!!! We all do it :)

I also can get myself up and moving b/c I need to work off the bad food I ate!!! Guilt, I guess :p

I tell myself do just as much as you can. You don't have to finish the workout. Usually I will get into it but if not I shut if off and take the dogs out for a walk. I never feel guilty. I feel I work out consistently enough that if I flake out there must be a reason and I just need a break and that is OK.

Even if I'm down, I will still do a workout, it cheers me up! And when I work out and I'm hormonal (peri-menopause) I feel ever so much better..

Wake Up Eager - I don't think you are obsessed at all - it takes a lot of strategies to stay motivate over the long haul. I have tried and do many of the things you listed. I like these forums too - it is great to know there are so many like-minded people out there.

The hardest for me is the early morning workout - if I know there will absolutely be no other time in the day to it - that forces my butt out of bed. But like so many of you said, I think about just getting through the warm-up - that is half the battle and I am usually on my way... And knowing how crappy I will feel later if I don't work out (sluggish, guilty and mad at myself for missing my personal time!)

One thing that is helping lately - just say to myself "do what you intended to do". Live my life with intention, not by happenstance.

i watch a cathe dvd or tape to get motivated. since i usually have to lock my cat in my bedroom when doing cardio that gets me unmotivated

laura

For me, working out is a hobby. A fun hobby. So, if I don't feel like it, I don't do it because I don't want to associate it with "work". I have enough things I "have to" do in my life. I'm not adding working out to that list. And if I'm sick, I don't even think about it. Why would anyone want to work out when they're sick?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.