What food fills you up the longest?

jldx2in2000

Cathlete
So I have been trying to pay attention to what foods I eat that really help fill me up for the longest.

This may sound weird but I have found that Egg Beaters, despite all the protein, do not fill me up. If I have a cup of Egg Beaters in the morning with 1 T salsa, I am still hungry after finishing it. :confused:

However, if I eat a rice cake with a tablespoon of dark chocolate almond butter, I am full for quite awhile-sometimes as long as 2 hours.

Does anyone else have foods that keep them full for a long time?

beans. lentil soup with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, carrots. that can keep me satisfied 4 hours. depends alot on the person though.

I eat a small bowl of oatmeal with a tb of natural peanut butter in it every morning and I am usually good for 2.5-3 hours...

I make a mix of ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, protein powder and chia seeds as an afternoon snack. It tastes almost like chocolate ice cream and keeps me nice and full until dinner. Lots of protein and calcium.

I find that if I eat something with good fats I'll stay full longer. A big salad that includes avocado seems to do the trick.

I happened to notice this morning that I ate two eggs and a slice of toast and I was starving by lunchtime. Yesterday I had a bowl of oatmeal and raisins cooked in almond milk instead of water and I wasn't as hungry by lunchtime.

If it makes you feel better, I feel like I'm eating almost constantly. Every 2-3 hours. I'm running to the grocery store probably every 2 days to restock.

Glad I'm not the only one! :D I eat 5-6x a day most days...sometimes more!:eek:

As for the grocery store, shopping more then once a week goes against everything I believe in ;):p therefore if I run out of something early then I just go without until the following week. I usually have enough other stuff to hold me over thank goodness...:)

Definately fats like nut butters and coconut .... But I've also found that mixing 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in my water and drinking that satisfies me for a food few hours. Apple cider vinegar not only helps stave off hunger and regulates your blood sugar but soothes your digestive system too! Sometimes I add a little Ginger and stevia and it's my favorite sweet drink!

oatmeal
beans
chicken
i dont suggest this but my cat loves her canned food with turkey,chicken,salmon and only eats a little every few hrs so maybe that means that protein is what will really fill you up. if i drink milk then take a nap my tummy feels full

laura

oatmeal
beans
chicken
i dont suggest this but my cat loves her canned food with turkey,chicken,salmon and only eats a little every few hrs so maybe that means that protein is what will really fill you up. if i drink milk then take a nap my tummy feels full

laura

I have a friend who says that a meal or snack consisting mostly of protein keeps her feeling satisfied longer...I am sure it varies from person to person though.

Pretty much if I have fat with a meal, I'll stay full for quite a while, and the amount of food matters. My breakfast of whey, coconut oil and fruit will usually hold me from about 8am until 11:30 when I start getting hungry. Then a good sized salad with protein, avocado and olive oil will keep me full for 4 to 5 hours. If I think about food too much, I'll get hungry even if I'm not really hungry :p. Although it's clearly not the healthiest choice, but if I eat a couple of eggs with bacon, I'll stay full, if I eat eggs without a fattier meat, I'll get hungry pretty quickly.

A very filling and satisfying meal I used to eat for dinner was a 1/4 cup of dry polenta cooked in the microwave with 1 cup water for 3 minutes, topped with a piece of cheese (any kind you like) and 2 eggs fried in 1-2 tsp olive oil.

I agree that fats help a lot. Nut butters really do the trick for me.

I also need VOLUME in my food to fill up my stomach, and I mainly get the volume from veggies! Salads with hearty ingredients (broccoli, cabbage, carrots in addition to the standard greens) help a lot. For dinner, I make a lot of stir frys, soups, chilis, and pasta dishes. But whatever recipe I am using, I always add in extra veggies and often replace some of the meat or pasta with beans, so that it is more healthful and filling. (Costco, grocery store sales, and Farmer's Markets help keep the price down on the veggies, thank goodness.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.