What food fills you up the longest?

A good ole egg, ham and cheese omlet from Waffle House keeps me full and satisfied for hours. Of course you can make your own, lower fat and calorie version at home.

fat isn't effective for me. it's confusing, but it just doesn't work for me. i need fiber. lots of veggies. salmon keeps me full longer than other fish for some reason. too much fat in the meal also makes my stomach hurt. i do really well on a high fiber low fat diet.

Only on my cheat day...

...Walmart fried chicken & a baked potato. Keeps me full for 5 or 6 hours. Can't say that I've found anything that works that well on non-cheat days.

I have noticed I only stay full if I eat at least 400 nutritious calories in a sitting for a "meal". My two favorite breakfast choices are 1) Greek yogurt (my favorite is 0% Fage) with a banana, pine nuts and cinnamon, and 2) oatmeal with skim milk, berries, walnuts and cinnamon, then I mix about 1/4 cup yogurt after cooking it to make it creamy. Both of those hold me over 'til lunch. I also find that protein smoothies hold my hunger over for a long time, but I don't always have time to make them.

I agree that fats help a lot. Nut butters really do the trick for me.

I also need VOLUME in my food to fill up my stomach, and I mainly get the volume from veggies! Salads with hearty ingredients (broccoli, cabbage, carrots in addition to the standard greens) help a lot. For dinner, I make a lot of stir frys, soups, chilis, and pasta dishes. But whatever recipe I am using, I always add in extra veggies and often replace some of the meat or pasta with beans, so that it is more healthful and filling. (Costco, grocery store sales, and Farmer's Markets help keep the price down on the veggies, thank goodness.)

Me too. I just had a very filling spinach salad with a few grapes, extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 c. of nuts. I should be good until 6 pm.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.