What do you use for recovery?

Travisli

Cathlete
I was in the running store on Saturday looking for an armband to carry my ipod and the little girl behind the counter introduced me to Gu Energy Gel. I bougt a couple different flavors but have not used them yet.

Truthfully, I'm pretty new to running, (August 2009), but I had no idea on longer runs I might need to refuel with something like Gu.

My son and I had just completed a 14 mile bike ride when I bought the Gu so he tried one and promptly spit it out proclaiming it to be "really nasty." So my question is what do use to refuel when you do distance training, either running or on a bike?

I ran 5 miles on Sunday in a little under an hour, but I never felt the need to refuel -- the sales girl assured me I would know when I "bonked" (??? I'm getting too old) and would be happy I had the Gu.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've tried different snacks for distance running, and what works best for me is a few dates. They're like magic! Jelly beans work well, too, but obviously they're not as healthy.

I usually don't eat anything mid-workout unless I'm running (or hiking) for longer than an hour. If it's about an hour long (or less,) I wait until I get home to eat.

What has been least effective for me is anything with protein in it, like nuts, Lara bars or other protein bars. Mid-workout, the body just wants carbs.

Hope this helps!

Brendan Brazier has recipes for recovery drinks, gels and powerbars in his book Thrive (they are vegan though). I have tried some of his recipes for longer runs and I think they are pretty good. Larabars always work for me.

My recovery drink of choice is coconutwater with lime juice and a dash of cayenne pepper. Sounds kind of odd but tastes really good.

Any run or bikeride under 60 to 90 min. I don't bother eating anything, I just drink water.

Hi Travis. I agree with your son it tastes NASTY! To me it tastes like someone just spit a giant lugey slimely mucously thing down your throat. I just bring watered down Gatoraid with me. The longest I've ever ran was 10 miles. By the way 5 miles in under an hour, . .girl you are smokin fast!

Janie, water downed gatorade sounds like a much better alternative to nasty slimy stuff :) I'll try that. Now I need to get one of those belts that carries liquid. :eek:

I think Gu and other energy gels are supposed to be used during exercise (or before), as that's when you need the energy.

A good meal of regular food, higher in carbs, moderate in protein, and low in fat, is good for post exercise.

I will often have a smoothie, with a frozen banana and something like Vega Health Optimizer in. I've recently been using some Vega recovery formula as well.

The good news: post-workout is the best time (as in the least harmful time) to eat stuff like candy bars or high-carb foods if you have a craving for them, as the carbs can be put to use to replenish muscle gylcogen.

I would know when I "bonked" (??? I'm getting too old) and would be happy I had the Gu.
Actually, "bonking" is not a new term. It's used to describe the feeling you have when you run out of glycogen stores or 'hit the wall' when exercising/running/training (I'm 53, and I knew that...LOL!:p. But then again, I also know what "krumping" is, and many of my students don't!)

Gels, bloks, etc. are not for recovery, they are basically just instant sugar that your body and utilize immediately DURING exercise. They are made so that during exercise you don't have to "work" at eating something and it is a lot easier for your body to digest these rather than bulky foods.

There are a lot on the market and you have to try different things to see what works for you. I personally really like the lemon sublime Gu, but also spit out the orange burst Gu--it was awful!! I tried the Power bar gel in chocolate and it was just like chocolate frosting--yummy but NOT what I want when I'm exercising--eww. My favorite right now are the black cherry Shot Bloks (like big square gummies). These products have calories (usually all carbs/sugar)for energy and electrolytes.

Sports nutrition is considered an art because it's so individual what your body needs considering the duration of the exercise. For me, I always have a banana before working out, if I feel light headed or my energy lacking during a longer workout, I have 2 or 3 shot bloks with water, then after for recovery I also have a protein fruit smoothie. This works really good for me.

Try different products, you will find something you like! The last thing you want is to "bonk" or hit the wall because you weren't prepared.

I like Nuun tablets in water... no sugar or artificial sweetener, but electrolyte replacer. makes plain room temp water in a plastic bottle taste a little better with mild flavor. many flavors in easy to carry tablets.

Thank you all for the information and lessons. I knew the Gu was not recovery, but for instant sugar, etc. The girl did explain that to me (thanks for the definition of bonking Kathryn) -- I suppose I have just not yet trained for a period long enough to require it.

I usually have a banana before working out as well -- I saw those shot blocks, but I'm not a gummy fan, so I didn't purchase them. I'll check out my options, try some different stuff and see what works for me.

Hey Travis, maybe you already know this, but I forgot to add that all the gels and bloks, etc. have different levels of caffeine in them so you have to be careful when you buy them. The first time I bought some I just looked at the flavor and after eating it started to feel jittery and icky. I looked at the package and realized it had 2x caffeine :eek: Now I use stuff with no caffeine or x1 and I'm fine.

Thanks Sandra, I don't do caffiene at all so it's important that I pay attention to it -- the flavors of gu that I bought were the ones with no caffiene. :)

I was in the running store on Saturday looking for an armband to carry my ipod and the little girl behind the counter introduced me to Gu Energy Gel. I bougt a couple different flavors but have not used them yet.

My husband ran the half marathon here a few weeks ago and he said when he got to mile 8 or 10 they gave them that and he said it really helped energize him. He loved it.

IMO, the best electrolyte replacement is coconut water (I like "One" brand). It is a natural source of electrolytes, and is used by Brazilian sports teams (instead of Gatorade, which is FULL of nasty artificial colors and chemicals...just read the label!)

IMO, the best electrolyte replacement is coconut water (I like "One" brand). It is a natural source of electrolytes, and is used by Brazilian sports teams (instead of Gatorade, which is FULL of nasty artificial colors and chemicals...just read the label!)

I've been meaning to try coconut water, now I'm definitely going to get some. Thanks! :)

After an intense workout, I often have a packet of Emergen-C drink mix (vitamins and electrolytes) with juice. I add whey protein powder if I did weightlifting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.