What do you think about the Body For Life 20-Min. Aerobics idea?

D

debmac

I've heard lots of people say they got results from following the BFL plan and only doing the 20-min. of aerobics 3x/wk as Bill Phillips suggests. I wonder if it could really be true that 20 min. of intense cardio, 3 times per week, could be enough? I read in the BFL book about the intensity-intervals he suggests. Cathe, do you or anyone else have any strong feelings about whether 20 min. is enough, or if 45 min. to one hour is better? This 20-min-idea is messing with my head! ex.-This morning I planned to do the MIC Hi/lo, followed by PowerMax section 3 & cooldown. But 20-minutes into the MIC Hi/lo, a little voice inside my head was telling me, "BFL would say to quit NOW." But I ignored that little voice, and went on to finish my intended workout (hooray! it was awesome!) I am just so curious though, about this 20-min. thing. Could 20 minutes be more effective than 45 min. to an hour? In any case, I love my long Cathe step sessions, so I don't think I'd shorten 'em no matter what! But I'm still curious. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.-Debbie

How fit do you want to be?

For the typical American, 20 minutes of cardio would be a great step. I'll also concede that 20 intense minutes would be better than 60 of going through the motions. There are plenty of studies that contradict BP's position on cardio fitness, but the real issue is probably your fitness goals. A 20 minute cardio session is not going to prepare me for a 200 mile hiking trip or a 50 mile bike ride. The short sessions might keep one healthy if one had modest goals, IMO.

Debra

Hey There!

I thought I should jump in here too since my name is also Debra(Debbie)!! I also agree it is what kind of shape you are in and what your are looking to achieve. I know my son did the BFL plan and he lost 18-20 pounds. I also know that he was not active AT ALL before doing any cardio so I would think anybody going from nothing to something would derfinitely see results. JMO, but I thought I'd share that with you Deb & Deb!

Body for Life - 20 min aerobics

Hi Debbie - I too have read Body for Life and have also been wondering. I think a lot of what Bill Phillips has to say is true (I LOVE the before and after pictures!) but I also think 20 minutes would not be enough to build endurance. A lot of his book is directed at people who are totally out of shape and have not exercised at all. I bought the book after I visited with a long distance friend and her transformation was amazing. I kind of follow his program but use Cathe's MIS tapes and the heaviest weights I can alternating with longer aerobic tapes and interval running. However, I have set a long term goal of racing in a 15K skate ski (cross country) race next winter and I'm going to have to last longer than 20 minutes! It IS a weakness in the book that he doesn't really address how you should train for a longer workout of any kind. I did find his book kind of inspiring though, esp the quote about how the body is the temple of your spirit/soul and we carry it with us wherever we go throughout our life. I'm also wondering what others have thought of the BFL program.
Thanks for bringing it up. -
Brigid

from my own experience..

I am on week 8 of a 12 week body for life challenge. I too was skeptical of doing only 20 minutes of cardio 3 times per week. In fact, every couple of weeks I will pop in Intense Moves or Interval Max and I have had absolutely no loss in cardio endurance. I add one of these vids every once in a while as my barometer of how I'm doing, and also to tweak my program (or just take it up a notch every once in awhile) ...also I just can't seem to completely let go of videos..and Interval max is such a great workout! In the last 8 weeks I have worked out much LESS than I did for the last year and I have seen excellent results (finally got off my weight plateau and have lost 12 pounds-but alot of that has to do with eating right I admit.) The real key to these 20 minute cardio sessions is to make sure you hit your perceived 9's and 10's as bill spells out in the book. It optimizes your fat burning and it also challenges your cardio system with a brief but intense interval workout.

Body for Life

Hi Nichole,
If you don't mind me asking, did you follow the Body for Life Diet or do your own eating plan. I am having a really difficult time getting rid of the rest of my lower body fat, and feeling desperate as to what to do. I have accually stoped exercising for two weeks now. (Had minor Surgery) Can't really start again until June, and I am really going to need it by then!!

yep following the plan

Hi, yes my husband I do follow the BFL plan to the letter every week but we do indulge on free day once a week. (for instance I ate 3 desserts last sunday at mothers day brunch)..I am sorry to hear about your recent surgery (ouch)..if you would like to email me personally (i hate to clutter up cathe's board with my endless chatter about BFL) please do! I have some ideas that might help that have worked well for me.

[email protected]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.