What do you think... a dumbbell/barbell ?

ElaineP

Cathlete
I am doing STS. I am in my 4th week of Meso 2. My dumbbells do not go up high enough from my back work. I don't want to buy any more equipment. Do you think this will work if I load my barbell on one side and do one arm rows with the loaded side and the unloaded side resting on the floor ?

I'm not sure that would work. How would you know how much of the weight was being transferred to the floor? Also, it seems the mechanics would be quite different. Personally, I think I would substitute a different exercise like barbell rows or even more chin-ups/pull-ups.

The other thing you must decide is that since you can do one-armed rows with this new, heavier weight, would you not need that weight for all future back workouts? You'd only need one dumbbell, not a pair, so perhaps you can justify the purchase depending on your long-term goals. Otherwise, you'd just have to do the one-armed rows in the endurance mode and save strength work for other back exercises. Or do this exercise at a gym?

Thanks for the youtube vid. I kinda thought it would work but I guess I needed some reassurance. I just want to make sure I am getting the challenge I would get with a dumbbell.

I'm glad somebody else asked this question. I will have to do this very soon too! Next week starts M2W3 and I'm topping out with my DBs at home and just can't spend so much money on a heavier DB. I have a 40, which I can make 44.25 with all my micro-load toys (lol), but I don't have a DB heavier. I'd love to hear what Cathe says on this, but from all those vids you guys posted, it's certainly doable and WORKS.

I am curious, however, how much of the actual weight you load onto the BB that you are really lifting? Or is that just splitting hairs???

Gayle

I'd love to hear what Cathe says on this, but from all those vids you guys posted, it's certainly doable and WORKS.

Cathe does a barbell row using two hands in Pure Strength(I think it's that one). Instead of rowing with one arm, she is straddling the bar for a two arm row.

I used my barbell for one arm rows on Tuesday when I did M3W1. It worked great! I now realized that in Meso 2 I could have gone heavier. I didn't really count the barbell so much. I have a troy lite bar(wt 5lbs) I felt it really didn't matter.

My husband use to do rows this way when we were limited to 50lb dumbbells.
I have the direct link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-1q...s=one+arm+barbell+row&feature=player_embedded

I've been seeing a lot of one-end weighted barbell moves like this lately. I know I've read several articles over at www.FigureAthlete.com where these moves were used a lot. It supposedly works the muscles in a different way. But first, I think I want to put a catcher's mitt between the the non-weighted barbell end and the floor. I don't need my floor ruined and I think a catcher's mitt might do save my floor and keep the barbell end from moving about.

My barbell end did not move at all. But I exercise on puzzle mats. If I worked out on hardwood floors your idea sounds great.

But first, I think I want to put a catcher's mitt between the the non-weighted barbell end and the floor. I don't need my floor ruined and I think a catcher's mitt might do save my floor and keep the barbell end from moving about.

My husband uses one or two small five pound plate on the lower end. It helps balance the bar and the end of the barbell is not digging into the floor

You can also get the short little bars and make your own DBs. Mine came in the whole set but certainly you can get them separately. They look like veryy mini BBs and you just put your plates and clips on them exactly the same. They end up being the length of a heavy DB.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.