What come's first--your workout--or the demands of life...

luckyruns

Cathlete
I thought this would be a good question to toss out here.

I am now at a point in my life where if I'm at home, lifting weights or on the trainer or right in the middle of my coremax dvd-- I let the phone ring. I have two teens at home right now -- and a soon to be 20 yr old (YIKES) :) And they now know how important my workouts are. So if they are around and need me and the house isn't burning down, no one is bleeding to death ;-) they let me finish my workout. I guess I finally became selfish and put me first }( Not a bad thing at all. I am also very fortunate to be a stay at home mom where I can move a FEW things around if need be.

So I ask you all-- what comes first in your life besides of course family time--- is it YOU and your hour or two of sweating or do you let the demands of your life tell you WHEN and how long you work out?

Being selfish for your self is a good thing--only took me about 20 years to realize this :7

My workout comes first, even before family, so that I can meet the demands of life, physically and mentally. I feel it's very important to have that hour everyday just for yourself.
Sherry

RE: What come's first--your workout--or the demands of ...

Opps sorry Shelly --
Ill make sure I read and go back to my lurking self :)

Great topic!!!

I will have to admit, during my workout hours I am closed off from the world. No phones, no pagers or doorbell. Even my dogs have to wait until I am done for play time.

:) now that I actually write this down it seems horrible. :)

BUT I know how important my me time is and if I don't get it things would be a lot worse in my world!!!:7

I am the same way, everyone knows not to bother me if I'm working out. They know I won't answer the phone if it rings. My workouts take priority for me while I'm doing them, when I'm done, everything else takes priority.
Debbie in OH

This is my view of it:

Life is about balance, I have two kids, a business and I am a single mother.

My number #1 priority is to stay healthy, whithout health nothing matters. All the money in the world cannot buy me health.

So, every morning I exercise and drink my vitamins and cook my meals.

Since I am healthy I can enjoy life to the fullest, run the business and take time to talk and spend some time with my kids, trying to teach them the importance of eating well and having a balance life.

Taking time to exercise to stay healthy is not selfish if view from the point of view of health.

This is my view of it:

Life is about balance, I have two kids, a business and I am a single mother.

My number #1 priority is to stay healthy, whithout health nothing matters. All the money in the world cannot buy me health.

So, every morning I exercise and drink my vitamins and cook my meals.

Since I am healthy I can enjoy life to the fullest, run the business and take time to talk and spend some time with my kids, trying to teach them the importance of eating well and having a balance life.

Taking time to exercise to stay healthy is not selfish if view from the point of view of health.

If things come up for my boys they will get top billing. My boys are 3, 8, and 10. Right now they need me and I wouldn't have it any other way. I get in a workout when I can. Wont be every day and maybe even two days go by but my boys will only be young once. I plan to be there. More me time will come later. :)

Barring emergencies, workouts come first. Otherwise there are too many excuses not to do it. I will however happily rearrange my schedule (getting up earlier, not watching a favorite show) to get a workout in at another time if life demands I be elsewhere during my normal workout time. So I am not entirely inflexible. :)

Sparrow

My workouts have always come first, just ask my DH!! I do tend to ignore the phone unless I know it is important. I also feel things might be different if I had kids, especially young ones. But I don't. I've had some stress in my life lately and working out is my only salvation as the other alternatives are not very heathly...:)...Carole

Amazing what a good run or good sweaty workout will do for your soul. Like they say --*running is cheaper than therapy* :)

My family will always come first but since I exercise at about 5:30 in the a.m., getting my workouts in isn't an issue.

I wish I could work out that early! I would have my boys up if I did since their bedrooms are right off the living room. I told my DH we need to add on a workout room. LOL!

My family comes first which is why I work out at 4 am. It makes me real happy to see my kids happy in the morning when I spend the morning with them watching cartoons, Veggie Tales and color with them. It also keeps me sane working out first before they wake up. Plus there's NO interruptions by anyone or anything at 4 am. AHHH...I love it. :7

My workouts enable me to deal with the demands of life, so I get up early and workout to prepare me for the day. Nothing stands in the way of that. In fact, I even worked out on my honeymoon in Maui 10 years ago. I remember taking some great aerobics and toning classes outdoors by the ocean, and one morning we were sweating away and looked out unto the water just in time to see a whale breeching. Truly awesome moment!

Well yesterday, for example....

My children were out chasing each other and a friend with squirt guns while I worked out for 3 hours in all. Friend comes in briefly and says, "I am obsessed". I said, "Yeah, I know...ain't it great"?
I feel like a million bucks after I get in my workouts. If I don't, I feel like crap. In saying that, I feel like my rest days are my "reward" days and I don't come down on myself when I know I need 2 rest days in a week. Afterall, when I do workout, I workout hard so I deserve the rest.

Charlotte~~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.