What are you reading?

Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon.
I'm actually taking my time with this one since it'll be 2-3 years before there is another in the series!!!

Oh oh tell me how it is! I have everything else by her and I've been waiting for this one!

I'm reading CISSP Guide to Security Essentials (um, yeah, I'm a geek) - but if you don't stay current, you are left in the dust :(

Last night I stayed up to 3:30am to read the 4th in a series of 5 by C.L. Wilson called Queen of Song & Souls. It was sooo good. I can't wait for the 5th to come out.

In Triumph's Wake-Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters and the price they paid for glory...OMG is it good! I'm intrigued with European history, and this book is amazing!

MJ

I just finished The Book of Negroes by lawrence Hill. It was one of the best books I have ever read. I want to read everything he writes now.

I met Lawrence Hill at a recent conference and he signed my book. I cannot wait to read it. He is a very kind soul and and a fascinating speaker.

I just finished The Book of Negroes by lawrence Hill. It was one of the best books I have ever read. I want to read everything he writes now.

I just bought this and can't wait to get started. First I have to finish "High on Arrival" by Mackenzie Phillips, which I checked out of the library and have to return in a week.

I heard about the Booker Prize winner, Wolf Hall, this weekend on NPR. It takes on the Henry VIII/Anne Boleyn relationship that led to the Reformation in a different perspective than the historical novels have done before: it's more about Henry's right-hand man, Thomas Cromwell. In this book, Cromwell is not all-evil and Thomas More is not a saint. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/10/hilary_mantel_wolf_hall_cromwe.html

It's on my list to read next!
Thank you for the recommendation, I'll have to look for this one at the library this weekend.

What Am I Reading?

I'm currently reading Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio.

The photography is beautiful and it's facsinating to see the vast differences between cultures when it comes to what type of foods families eat (and rather what they do not eat) around the world.

Stephen Ambroses's "D-Day". As always from the sadly now-departed Ambrose, an excellent examination of a critical moment in history. There is a short, fascinating comparison of General Rommel and General Eisenhower as well.

A-Jock

I just finished reading An Irish Country Doctor and will be starting 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea tomorrow!

Gayle

The Dirty Dozen: How Twelve Supreme Court Cases Radically Expanded Government and Eroded Freedom, by Robert A. Levy and William Mellor. A fascinating book outlining the twelve Supreme Court cases that, in the authors' opinion, have had the biggest impact on undermining our Constitution.

I'm almost finished reading The Grapes of Wrath, I love it but for some reason I fall asleep after every 4th or 5th page.

I second The Red Tent, I really loved that book. The only issue I had with it were the character names and trying to pronounce them and keep them straight. I kept a notebook nearby to keep them straight.

I came so close to ordering Eating Animals, but went with Everythings is Illuminated. I'll have to add it to my Christmas list. I love Jonathan Safran Foer's style. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is amazing!

Best book I've read of late is The Book Thief, It's been months since I've read it and I still think about the characters.

Next up, Dive from Clausen's Pier, which my SIL loaned me months ago. I hear it's excellent.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.