What are you reading?

I always love these threads and just keep adding to my list!!

Jenn

Ugh, . . .this is why I asked. I feel like I can never have to many books, . . .and when someone reccomends something here I sometimes discover a new author I would never have heard of. My book tastes are so vast. Like food I'm willing to give anything new a try.

I am reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It is for young adults but heard that older people like me really enjoy this book and it is really good. Before that was Three Weeks to say goodbye by C.J. Box which was also really good.

After 2 very deep, MOVING, INCREDIBLE books, which I HIGHLY recommend:

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay and
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks,

I'm reading 2 very shallow, nonsense books by Janet Evanovich called Full House and Foul Play. :) After reading deep books like that, I let my younger son just randomly pick something off my book shelf and these are the 2 he picked out for me. lol I don't usually read this type of 'nonsense', but they're a nice welcome break from the 'heavier' stuff.

You naughty girls keep adding to MY to-read list too! But I love it! Happy Reading!

Gayle

The Pawn by Steven James and its FANTASTIC, i can't put it down. I really like the short chapters too. Its a murder mystery!

I just finished The Book of Negroes by lawrence Hill. It was one of the best books I have ever read. I want to read everything he writes now.

I'm reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, about the meat-packing industry in Chicago around the early 1900s. Thanks to the thread on this forum (Frankenstein), I have started to read or re-read some of the classics. Like the China Study, mentioned by a previous poster, The Jungle will turn you off of meat! It is good, and I recommend it.
Valerie:)

Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon.
I'm actually taking my time with this one since it'll be 2-3 years before there is another in the series!!!

Last night I finished A Romance on Three Legs by Katie Hafner. It's subtitled, "Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano"

Interesting glimpse into the relationship between a musician and his instrument (and the craftsmen who built and maintained it). I enjoyed reading the book while listening to some of Gould's recordings.

Sheila

Last edited:
I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society and now starting The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro.

For my mindless reading, I love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I've read them all and they got me hooked on the HBO series, True Blood.

I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society this summer and loved it!

I finished my book last night, too (Lipstick Jungle), and am now reading book 9 of the Debbie Macomber Cedar Cove series (well, I will be starting it today!). This is very light reading, but I like it!

I finished The Help this summer and that one really stayed with me. I read that one on the recommendation of one of these threads.

I just ordered the whole Sookie Stackhouse series, so I should be busy for awhile! I loved Twilight, so I should love those, right??

Jenn

Thank you all for giving me more books to add to my reading list. I just picked up Olive Kitteredge and downloaded Sarah’s Key onto my Kindle. I am going to lose myself in these books for a few days. :D

just finished the whole twilight series. now i want to get the true blood series since i love the show so much. i'm in a vampire phase right now LOL

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon is waiting for me-I was sick last week and didn't want to ruin it! And for non-fluff-The Mood Cure, The 4-Step Program to Rebalance Your Emotional Chemistry and Rediscover Your Natural Sense of of Well-Being by Julia Ross. It's a nutritional approach to depression and anxiety. Interesting stuff.

I'm reading Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Very entertaining, and a candy read. Just getting my mind sharp for a more serious read and finish Diana Gabaldon's series.

Janie

just finished the whole twilight series. now i want to get the true blood series since i love the show so much. i'm in a vampire phase right now LOL

JR Ward's Brotherhood of the Black Dagger is amazing!!!! Very grown up series. I read the 1st one, the instant I finished, grabbed my car keys, drove to Books A Million, bought the rest of the series...finished them all 3 days later!!!!!

Becky

I'm reading Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Very entertaining, and a candy read. Just getting my mind sharp for a more serious read and finish Diana Gabaldon's series.

Janie

I am limiting myself to no more than 100 pages a day of Echo in the Bone because it will be so long before there is another!!!

I'm happy to know there WILL BE another! I got to meet Diana Gabaldon in May and she read us an excerpt from the book-awesome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.