What are the best carbs after a workout?

soon2bfit

Cathlete
After my workout (sts) I have a smoothie with fruit and protein powder and oatmeal. I just read an article in muscle and fitness that said these carbs should be avoided post workout. Does anyone know what the deal is with this? I am finding it confusing.

Thanks

Hi-

That sounds like a pretty healthy post workout snack to me.. What was their reasoning?

Lynn M.

Chocolate cake - its always the best carb!!!:p

I don't know why the oatmeal would be bad. From what I recall reading, low fat chocolate milk is supposed to be an excellent post workout snack. The mix of carbs/protein is supposed to be perfect. I know I've read that in several places, but can't recall where.

Nan

It has something to do with the spike in insulin levels from the type of carb. The article actually recommends eating gummi bears!

Fitness Freak or Debbie always has a protein shake after her workout with oatmeal and some kind of berries, check out her meals on hardcore fitness maniacs checkin.

It has something to do with the spike in insulin levels from the type of carb. The article actually recommends eating gummi bears!

YES!!!!!!!!

I love gummi bears!! I must not have gotten to that in HERS yet. I'll have to go searching for it.

I have a protein shake pre-workout & then breakfast post- workout. 1 egg 2 whites/farmers cheese/eng muffin/fruit. It works for me. Of course so would gummi bears ;) I am always starving after a workout!!

Carbs like oatmeal release more slowly into the system, which is usually good, but after a workout, fast-release, simple carbs are more easily and quickly absorbed (in fact, some instructors recommend saving your junk-food cheats for after a workout, when the simple carbs will do the least harm..hence gummi bears.

The latest things I have read agree with the above posters fast acting carbs and simple sugars are best. The most recent things I have heard is that a complex carb maltodextrin is best. It's a complex carb but has a higher glucemic index then sugar so it's actually faster.

So stick to fast acting carbs and then about an hour later you can have your oatmeal.

I can see their point on getting a quick release carb into the mix for immediate energy.. However the fruit in the OP's snack would do the same thing.. Most fruit contain simple sugars which break down pretty quickly for energy.

Lynn M.

I think the sugar in the fruit is not dextrose. Fructose and sucrose are the worst sugars to have post workout. I am gettng more confused my the minute.

The best is supposed to be chocolate milk- it has the right mix of carbs and protein. I used to do that. Now I do a skim milk cafe au lait, no sugar. It just happens to be after my run every morning, so I call it my recovery drink!

I believe if you just omitted the oatmeal it would be perfect. Then a couple hours post workout (or perhaps at least an hour) you could have your oatmeal.

Ditto on checking out what Debbie has to eat. She works out heavy and eats based upon her workouts - timing things very well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.