What after Beginner Rotation?

walkrtalkr

Cathlete
I'm getting close to finishing the beginner rotation by Cathe and now I'm wondering what to do next. I don't want to get over-ambitious but I am trying to learn Cathe's style. What rotation would you suggest after this rotation to take me to the next level? Now remember I am trying to learn her style. Thanks....leigh:)

I think the sky's the limit for you now!

You might want to try some of her circuit workouts, that way you can get more experience eith the choreography, plus add in some weight work too.

I like the Cardio and Weights workouts - tough but not impossible and you can heavy up or down on the weights, and the step segments are interesting and challenging.

For some reason I also like the Muscle Endurance workout as a favorite. Other posters might recommend the CTX workouts. They're deceptively challenging too - oh, gee how hard can 30 minutes of cardio be? Famous last words! And the weight work can be as tough or easy as you want, depending on the #s you choose to lift!

HTH!

Susan L.G.

Hi walkrtalkr,

Do you already own some of Cathe’s workouts that you would like to use in a rotation or are you looking for suggestions on what workouts to buy & how to use them?

Here are a couple of blind suggestions:

This is a link to the Nov. 06 rotation. It uses the new workouts which should be a nice transition. The choreography of the cardio segments is more athletic and you should be fine with the weight work. There are some really excellent premixes that you could use if the scheduled workout is too long. You could easily modify this rotation to your level & sub in steady state & interval cardio for running (if you are not a runner or walker). Here is a link.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=6276&mesg_id=6276&page=

This next link is to a rotation for the Body Blast series. Step Blast is a bit harder for some people but if you can master the choreography in this workout (& RS), than you should be fine with the other step workouts. You could also tackle this workout in parts, substitute another step workout for Step Blast or use the timesaver DVD. Here’s the link.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=688&mesg_id=688&page=2

I would NOT suggest the CTX series at this time based on your post.

There are other rotations that you could try but it is hard to say without a little more information.

Good luck,
Jordan

Jordan -

What about the original post makes you not suggest the CTX series so strongly? Now I'm curious - and embarassed for even opening my mouth!

Susan L.G.

Hi Susan,

It is hard to tell what the OP is looking for without more information but she sounded hesitant to move too quickly. These express workouts really pack a punch; you get a lot done in a short time. The cardio workouts move fast, are high impact & high intensity. If she is going to use them in a rotation, I think it might be too much for her at this time. Leaner Legs can be quite a leap from the strength work in the basic rotation. I really love these workouts and the only thing that will cause me to stop using them is if I wear out my set. But in this case, I felt that there were better choices based on the information given. Again, it is hard to tell without more information which is why there is nothing wrong with your suggestions.

I am aware that Step Blast is one of the most complicated rated workouts for choreography. The OP could always use one of the classics or use the other suggestions given. She could even use the step premix of C&W. The other workouts in the Body Blast series are more moderate in comparison, yet, they are very good to grow with. I feel that these workouts would make a good transition and they are fun. The new workouts are mostly circuits but the excellent premixes make them versatile. I think the premixes also make them a good transition set. She doesn’t have to use the sets; she can pick randomly and make a rotation that fits her needs.

HTH,
jordan

Thanks so much for your posts.

I have a lot of Cathe's workouts and had in fact started with the fat loss/definition rotation but the IMAX series were far too complicated for me. Don't get me wrong I'm a fitness instructor and in excellent shape but the choreography was a little too much for me so I was trying to become comfortable and familiar with Cathe's workouts.

I only have the Butts and Guts from her new series but I have pretty much everything else and you are right I don't want to get too complicated too quickly because it is a real let down when the workout is moving so fast you just don't get it and want to quit and try another workout....thanks again....leigh:)

I would recommend going in order that the DVD's were produced. The Classic's and Cardio Hits are one of the earliest DVD's I could find on Cathe.com. I have both of these DVD's. I have a lot more than these but haven't tried them all. The Classic's ( Step Heat 1995, Step Jam, 1996, and Step Max, 1995) and Cardio Hits( Power Max, 1996, Step fit, 1997, and Step Works, 1998) both have three step work outs on each of them. These all have choreography that is usually easy to follow, although did have a problem with power max and the 360, or is it 180?, move. Anyway, that is the only problem I've had with these DVD's, but I haven't done Step Fit or Step Works yet. In these older ones, Cathe introduces moves that she uses in her newer DVD's and she repeats most of the moves a lot. The other good thing about these older ones is that your heart rate will do o.k. Cardio Vascular wise they are around the intermediate level with the step moves being for a beginner/intermediate. That is my opinion anyway.

I also have Low Max and I love it. I did have trouble with a move here and there, but after a viewing and rewinding several times, I got it o.k. I have Cardio and Weights and while I don't do the weights part, the cardio part is pretty good. It is only 30 minutes but you'll get a pretty good heart rate.

Something that helped me learn moves is that when I'm trying to learn a new workout, I don't try to workout with it. Let me explain. I do a cardio workout (I do most of my workouts at the gym and I do a lot of weights at the gym so I don't do any weights at home. So I haven't tried any of Cathe's weight workouts. I just really love doing Step Aerobics to Cathe's DVD's, which is why I do them at home sometimes.) that I already know and after it is done, I will do one or more section of the new one. When I'm doing the new one, I am not worried about keeping my heart rate up because I've already worked out. Therefore, I am not bothered by having to rewind and try a move again. You can also move the DVD forward frame by frame and see exactly where Cathe's feet land. Another thing I learned from IMAX 2 is that it helps to sometimes watch one of the ladies behind Cathe. The reason being is that Cathe is wearing long black exercise pants and the others are wearing shorts. It is easier to see what each individual bare leg are doing that the black pants.

Just keep trying. If I can do it, anybody can.

Sherri.....

This is an excellent idea! I had already come to the conclusion that this was the way to go .... to do her videos in the order they were produced, that way you catch on a lot easier....I've just been redoing and redoing the parts I don't get like you would if you were in a dance class and it's getting easier....thanks again....leigh:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.