WEN alert (a good deal)

"...assuming its latino the same length....". I swear the iPad auto correct has made me type some odd things. I meant assuming its still the same length!

llp said:
Hi Debbie!
Not sure what you mean by coming out dry(?!?). You did get your hair wet for a couple of minutes and put pumps of it on your scalp & hair, right? Then you rinsed it out after you massaged your head and hair and also left it on the 20 minutes, right? My hair is wet, not dry after rinsing with water.

Or did you mean it came out dry feeling like hay after the whole treatment of cleansing your hair and drying it with the hair dryer?

My hair is currently just a little bit longer than yours. It's usually in bad shape after a highlight(which I had done 1.5 weeks ago), but, it's in the best shape -- feels soft(considering my hair is coarse, stiff Chinese hair) & healthy. And my scalp is not dry and itchy(like it normally is), it feels moisturized, but, not greasy.

I cleanse everyday, and blowdry it everyday. I use probably about 3 pumps-that's all. (Tea Tree and Almond mixed up in my hands). My hair and scalp is coated with just 3 full pumps. So, I am lucky 2 the bottles will last me a long time -- probably 4-5 months!

I hope it's working for you Debbie! You sure do sound like you have very porous hair!

Hi Linda!

Yes, I'm talking about AFTER I blew it dry, it look so much drier then normal. I just received my 5-bottle kit (thanks to yooooou! Ha!) so I'm very curious to try the fig and see if that works better since it's designed for coarse hair. Now, you have me thinking about the Tea Tree & Almond which did not come in my new kit! OH BOY!!!! LOL! Stay tuned...hoping the fig makes me a believer in Wen!!! :D

Just came back to ask if the Almond you mentioned is actually the Sweet Almond Mint? I do have that in my new 5-bottle kit...how does everyone know which ones to combine? Is it just trial & error??!

Sent from my iPad using CatheForum

Last edited:
Trixoo said:
Debbie -

Well that's a bummer! I don't have the 6 oz size, I have the 16, but my hair is about your length (assuming its latino the same length as your photo) and relatively thick. I use about 6 pumps and that's plenty...any more would just fall off and down the drain. I do all the steps except combing, at first because I didn't have a wide toothed comb and now because I just don't see how it could make a difference. So I just rinse my hair with cool water for a minute, add the wen and then a splash of water, massage my scalp with it for about a minute, wait a few minutes and then rinse it out with cool water for a minute. If you followed all of those steps and ended up with dry hair, WVM is definitely not for you, although after you try fig for a while if that works for you, give WVM a try again.

I feel really badly that your first wen experience wasn't good. When I first started using it, I didn't experience the miracle others have, although it was very nice i just didnt feel my hair was much ebetter than my regular shampoo...and didn't envision myself ordering more. It was only until about 4-6 weeks later that I saw a photo of myself before I started using wen that I saw what a really dramatic change had happened...way, way less frizzy, just not overnight. On my own, I also noticed that my hair color lasts forever. Also, I color my hair at home and the coloring kit has a deep conditioner that I'm supposed to apply every week to keep it glossy looking...I used to have to apply it religiously and sometimes applied it a day or two early because my hair was so frizzy and getting dull, but haven't had to apply it once since starting wen. Now it's been about 21/2 months and I can't say enough about wen and what it's doing for my hair.

I really hope you have better results the next time...if not, you at least can send back what you bought from QVC.

Thanks Trixoo...I appreciate your help/suggestions. I'm glad to hear that possibly coming back to use other scents might work too as I'm thinking, "What am I going to do with the ones that don't work for me that I just spent all this money on?"

My hair is not LATINO! Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

My hair actually is to my shoulders now. The photo you're seeing of me is 6 years old, and not only is my hair diff, but my face is 6 years older too! HeeHee!

Like I told Linda, I just received the 5-bottles in the mail so I'm very curious to try fig today! I'll let you know! Thanks again!!!

I've decided that for scents I don't like or don't work for me, I'll either use them to clean makeup brushes (works great) or shave my legs (haven't tried yet, but supposed to work great), or give to somebody it might work for....I'm thinking it might be great for my niece's hair, but I'm worried about addicting an 11 yr old to an expensive shampoo. :)

Good Luck!

wen

I've decided that for scents I don't like or don't work for me, I'll either use them to clean makeup brushes (works great) or shave my legs (haven't tried yet, but supposed to work great), or give to somebody it might work for....I'm thinking it might be great for my niece's hair, but I'm worried about addicting an 11 yr old to an expensive shampoo. :)

Good Luck!

You can also use it on the dog
Karen

Someone asked about whether or not the size of the shampoo container affected the number of pumps recommended. The 6 and the 16 oz use the same number of pumps, but the 32 oz. size uses less pumps. Here is what the QVC Wen site had to say:

If using the 16-oz. or 6-oz. sizes:

Rinse hair thoroughly, then apply 12 to 20 pumps of WEN into your palms and rub together; 20 to 40 pumps recommended for thicker/longer hair.

If using the 32-oz. size:

Rinse hair thoroughly, then apply eight to 16 pumps of WEN into your palms and rub together; 16 to 24 pumps recommended for thicker/longer hair.

I have a question for Wen users
- do you just use Wen once or do you do the suggestion of "For best results, it is suggested that you cleanse, rinse, and repeat, using half the recommended pumps for the first cleanse, and the remaining half of the pumps for the second cleanse. "?

Last edited:
macbeanur said:
Someone asked about whether or not the size of the shampoo container affected the number of pumps recommended. The 6 and the 16 oz use the same number of pumps, but the 32 oz. size uses less pumps. Here is what the QVC Wen site had to say:

If using the 16-oz. or 6-oz. sizes:

Rinse hair thoroughly, then apply 12 to 20 pumps of WEN into your palms and rub together; 20 to 40 pumps recommended for thicker/longer hair.

If using the 32-oz. size:

Rinse hair thoroughly, then apply eight to 16 pumps of WEN into your palms and rub together; 16 to 24 pumps recommended for thicker/longer hair.

I have a question for Wen users - do you just use Wen once or do you do the suggestion of "For best results, it is suggested that you cleanse, rinse, and repeat, using half the recommended pumps for the first cleanse, and the remaining half of the pumps for the second cleanse. "?

I don't repeat...and I only use 6 pumps on my not quit shoulder length hair...

When I was looking up the difference for number of pumps for the various sized bottles I noticed that it listed how many pumps are in each bottle. It says that in the 16 oz size, there are 160 pumps. Basically 1 oz = 10 pumps. And then I looked to see what the recommended number of pumps are for hair that goes half-way down the back (my length hair) and it says a minimum of 40 pumps. Which means that if there are 160 pumps in a 16 oz bottle and 40 pumps for a single washing = 4 washes a bottle. Yowie! I don't use 40 pumps however.

I don't understand why the longer your hair the more pumps you need for the crown and the nape of your hair. That doesn't really change - the thing that is changing is the length of hair, so I could see how the bottom part of the hair would require more pumps but not really the crown and nape.

For hair down to the shoulders, use a minimum of 24 pumps (six pumps per section).

For hair past the shoulders, use a minimum of 32 pumps (eight pumps per section).

For hair to your mid-back, use a minimum of 40 pumps (10 pumps per section)

I use between ~ 8 for the crown and ~ 4 for the nape, and ~ 4-6 for the length of hair (I don't do right side and left side) and that seems to work okay. Though my hair is still on the frizzy side, though less than it was (I think) but I live in Hawaii and it is very humid here.

Thanks for info on pump size.

I don't usually rinse repeat. I have long fine hair that is porous and now I use around 4 pumps of lg bottle or 6 pumps of the 16 oz bottles. I do wet brush thru with vented brush, that helps me distribute the creme and then I can run fingers up thru scalp, otherwise I feel like I just plaster it on my head and not getting it throughout. I think I am putting enough because there is creme at ends when I comb thru. I started off using more wen, but it didn't seem to be beneficial.

I've also just started using some regular conditioner (clairol herbal essence) at bottom 2/3rds to increase my wet comb thru ability as heavier application of wen nor ongoing wen had improved that situation beyond initial improvement. Bonus, CHE smells yummy and is cheap!

As you can see, I haven't been following the wen rules, but I do like the product.

I won't do overnight treatment anymore I think it was irritating, causing itchiness, but that might have been just one flavor.

I don't mix wen flavors, b/c I'm trying to get a feel for what each one does for me, so I try to use the same one for days in a row.

Okay, I got my 5-pack in the mail and have used the Fig scent the last two days and it def works better then the VWM did for my hair type! Yah! But, I am not crazy at all about the smell. I loved the smell of the VWM. I want to try the Sweet Almond Mint and the Lavender as they seem to be described for use on my type of hair. I'm anxious to try them right away but I'm wondering if I should stick to one for awhile or, would I be able to tell right away if one of the new ones is better? Does this make sense?

Good question, Debbie. I was curious about that, too. I received the 5 pack a couple days ago and have tried the Sweet Almond Mint twice (using only 3-4 pumps for just-past-shoulder-length hair). I don't notice a radical change, but I'm happy my hair is shiny and soft without a separate conditioner and styling lotion. Now I'm ready to experiment with the others.

Michelle

Debbie, in some ways you answered your own question in that after 2 uses, you know you like the results of Fig more than WVM. So we wonders -how long to stick with one flavor to get its results and do they change/diminish/increase with increased usage? I think for me, about 2 or 3 uses is an OK indicator and a week is a very good indicator. I wouldn't stick with a flavor that gave me bad results for very long. And I haven't experienced exponential improvement with any given flavor after a few days either.

Forgive me- I just came home from Statistics class final exam, I think I still need to shake it off. : )

Back in the original Wen thread, Cathe mentioned that she mixes them and provided her favorite current "recipe". Debbie, if Fig works great for you, but you don't like the scent, maybe you could try mixing in a little WVM or something else you like to get a better scent, but hopefully also something you think smells good.

I got the 5 box in October and STILL haven't tried the fig...partially because I love 613 and WVM so much, but also because it doesn't smell so good in the bottle. I also haven't tried the lavender either, though, which does smell good to me. Also, I usually only try new scents on the weekends in case something goes dramatically wrong I don't have to spend an entire day at work with jacked up hair I can do nothing about!

Well I tried the 6 13 this morning...wow, LOVE it! It smells so yummy! And I can still smell it once my hair has dried. I couldn't with the pomegranite.

When I first started using Wen I was initially disappointed because I didn't get immediate amazing results. It took a bit of experimenting and perhaps just using the product for a longer time than just once, but now I absolutely love the way my hair responds to Wen.

I live in Hawaii and it is very humid here the year round, and my hair is fine. It frizzes wildly due to the humidity. At first I thought it was just too much to ask for Wen to help with the frizziness with all of the humidity...but it has helped! My hair looks shiny again and is much smoother. It felt a lot softer from the get go, but I didn't see a reduction in the frizziness.

I know we have have different types of hair and have to figure out what works for it. For me what I have found works is using a different shampoo first, and then using Wen or 6 13 for my second shampoo. And while I still don't use the recommended number of pumps - I use more than I did the first few times.

So glad I tried it - though my bank account is not going to be happy. Thanks for all of the Wen threads! And for all who have contributed to them, I have learned a lot from you and really enjoy reading what everyone has to say.

Back in the original Wen thread, Cathe mentioned that she mixes them and provided her favorite current "recipe". Debbie, if Fig works great for you, but you don't like the scent, maybe you could try mixing in a little WVM or something else you like to get a better scent, but hopefully also something you think smells good.

I got the 5 box in October and STILL haven't tried the fig...partially because I love 613 and WVM so much, but also because it doesn't smell so good in the bottle. I also haven't tried the lavender either, though, which does smell good to me. Also, I usually only try new scents on the weekends in case something goes dramatically wrong I don't have to spend an entire day at work with jacked up hair I can do nothing about!

Thanks Trixoo! That's exactly what I did. After using the Fig, I used the VWM as my pump of leave-in conditioner. Also, I've got great news. I tried the pomegranate and it worked the BEST on my hair so far! Yah! It's a bit sweet smelling so I still use a pump of VWM afterwards to leave in my hair. You guys are killing me...now, I want the 613! OH BOY!!!! :eek:

Well I tried the 6 13 this morning...wow, LOVE it! It smells so yummy! And I can still smell it once my hair has dried. I couldn't with the pomegranite.

When I first started using Wen I was initially disappointed because I didn't get immediate amazing results. It took a bit of experimenting and perhaps just using the product for a longer time than just once, but now I absolutely love the way my hair responds to Wen.

I live in Hawaii and it is very humid here the year round, and my hair is fine. It frizzes wildly due to the humidity. At first I thought it was just too much to ask for Wen to help with the frizziness with all of the humidity...but it has helped! My hair looks shiny again and is much smoother. It felt a lot softer from the get go, but I didn't see a reduction in the frizziness.

I know we have have different types of hair and have to figure out what works for it. For me what I have found works is using a different shampoo first, and then using Wen or 6 13 for my second shampoo. And while I still don't use the recommended number of pumps - I use more than I did the first few times.

So glad I tried it - though my bank account is not going to be happy. Thanks for all of the Wen threads! And for all who have contributed to them, I have learned a lot from you and really enjoy reading what everyone has to say.

I agree...the more I use the products the more results I'm seeing! I have found by massaging my head several times during my shower time and also running a wide-toothed comb thru it several times seems to make it more sleek/smooth afterwards. It seems like I can use less product this way too as I'm really working what I DO use in real well if that makes sense? It is just so expensive so I'm trying to work around that too! :p

Hey, Debbie,
I posted in the other Wen thread that Pumpkin Spice left my hair very dry. I also got the 5 pack mentioned in this thread. I finally have tried them all, & believe it or not, the one that is working best for my hair is the Sweet Almond Mint! The Fig & the Lavendar, although marketed for Dry hair, still leave my hair looking dry. Not sure why...
Jane

Hey Debbie, I too have found that pomegranate works the best of the Wen products, and I hate to do this to you but the 6 13 is fabulous, too.

This morning I used the 6 13 and mixed in the winter mint (or whatever the name is) - the one that smells like a peppermint patty. Wow is that smell yummy! I used the winter mint as my leave in conditioner because I love the smell so much and my hair still smells like a peppermint patty.

Here's my question to you Wen and 6 13 users: Have you noticed that your hands are softer after using these shampoo/conditioners? My hands seem really soft these days and I wonder if it is because of the Wen/ 6 13? I have also recently purchased a rebounder around the same time, there are the only 2 things that I have changed in the last 2 months.

And now here's my second question - do any of you use any other Wen product? I see that there is a lotion and I was thinking about trying that - in case it is the shampoo/conditioner that is making my hands feel so much softer, I bet the lotion is pretty good, too. I thought it might make a nice Christmas present for my Mom who has really dry skin.

thanks in advance,

sarah

Debbie, I'm so glad you posted to let us know how it's going, I was really dying to know! :). I finally tried the fig and my hair liked it and the smell wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...nothing to complain about, but nothing to crow about either. I'm lucky that my hair seems to do okay with almost all the formulas.

Like Jane, the ginger pumpkin left my hair dry looking...I think I'll try mixing it with pomegranate, which left it a bit over hydrated. I tried Lavender today, which is supposed to be for fine hair (I have fine, thick, wavy hair) and it didn't seem better than the others. It is kind of fun to try everything out, though, isn't it?

Macbeaner (hope I got that right!), I love 613, too and I'm so glad my hair does...I would make me cry to have something that smells that good and not get good results. Like you, I like reading everybody's posts and have learned lots, too. Special thanks to the person who started the original Wen thread....where would our hair be without that?

macbeanur said:
Hey Debbie, I too have found that pomegranate works the best of the Wen products, and I hate to do this to you but the 6 13 is fabulous, too.

This morning I used the 6 13 and mixed in the winter mint (or whatever the name is) - the one that smells like a peppermint patty. Wow is that smell yummy! I used the winter mint as my leave in conditioner because I love the smell so much and my hair still smells like a peppermint patty.

Here's my question to you Wen and 6 13 users: Have you noticed that your hands are softer after using these shampoo/conditioners? My hands seem really soft these days and I wonder if it is because of the Wen/ 6 13? I have also recently purchased a rebounder around the same time, there are the only 2 things that I have changed in the last 2 months.

And now here's my second question - do any of you use any other Wen product? I see that there is a lotion and I was thinking about trying that - in case it is the shampoo/conditioner that is making my hands feel so much softer, I bet the lotion is pretty good, too. I thought it might make a nice Christmas present for my Mom who has really dry skin.

thanks in advance,

sarah

Oh wow, I'm going to have to try that 613/WVM mix! Why didn't I think of that? :)

I haven't noticed softer hands, but I don't use 613 every time I shampoo. I also don't use any Wen lotions, but can say that Cerave cream is excellent for dry hands or any other body parts. It doesn't have any scent and isn't sticky/tacky. Great product, relatively inexpensive, but probably not the best for a gift. Even so, your mom might like to try it. I just discovered it about 2 months ago and it works better than anything else I've tried at any price. The only thing I don't like is that it comes in a pot instead of a tube or pump...Cerave does make a moisture lotion that comes in a pump and is good, but not as effective. I think its intended for the face, although it's what I have in my office and I keep the pot of it at home. Okay, I'm way off track for a Wen thread, but I love to share when I've found something that really works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.