Welcoming Reflections on STS / Shock Cardio rotation

SandraGau

Hello everyone! I know a lot of us have started the 3 1/2 months rotations with the new Shock Cardio workouts that Cathe created at the beginning of January, which means that we are now starting Meso 2 (!). I thought it would be nice to hear about your thoughts about the whole thing so far...

As for me, I am absolutely loving the fact that I know what I should be doing every day, and although it is not easy work, it is so much easier than to sit for ages in front of my enormous DVD collection and waste time wondering what I FEEL like doing that day (I have actually spent more time trying to figure out what I felt like doing than doing the workout itself!) I tend to want to give it all every time to feel like what I am doing is worth while, but with the rotation, I am more consistant and in a way I am taking it more "easy". By this I mean that I don't feel like I absolutely have to workout all out for over an hour (or not at all) as I would usually do. The workouts are sufficient, I always feel energetic and I am definitely seeing results (although not a lot of weight loss)

I have a body analysis scale and my weight has gone down about 5 pounds, my body fat about 2% (my bone mass has increased 0.2 pounds... this I don't understand), and my muscle mass by about 1%, so the numbers seem all right.

I did the first workout of Meso 2 this morning and made sure I actually did my 1 MR and the weigths were higher than what I could do... I had to adjust for a few exercises. (My shoulders feel like rock right now. Feels good, I feel strong!) I also realized that my right side reaches failure a few reps before my left (I am left handed).

Interesting fact, I just did my RealAge test online and one of the advice is to reduce the intensity of my workouts because I am making myself age faster through excessive wear and tear... which makes me think that HiiT is plenty enough at 30 minutes!

I never feel tired, and I am looking forward to my workouts every day, can't be bad. I sometimes feel sad that it is over. My time in my gym (which I am continuing to equip) is precious for body and soul. My son always comes in the gym with me for a while and does pushups (which he counts 1, 2, 3, 4, 15, 28, 98, 99, 100), he takes the 1 pound dumbbells and mimics some exercises he's seen me do.

I am loving the whole thing. Thanks Cathe for great workouts, great motivation, for building such great complete programs!

I'd love to read about your experience!

Sandra

I found the rotation a bit too much for me. The high impact is too much for me while doing STS strength, my body isn't recovering very well. I'm so disappointed I cannot keep up with the rotation. I've been getting back and knee problems so I've had to back off from the cardio. I think I need to go back to 4DS cardio which is less taxing for me while doing STS strength. I do like STS Cardio and the variety it offers, I might just do one per week while doing STS strength. I'm only in the first mesocycle, so hopefully it will get better. I'm so happy it's working well for you. congrats. :)

I just started week 1 of meso II yesterday. I really enjoyed doing STS with SC. This was my third time doing STS meso I and it felt easier this time than the previous times. I am not sure why this is - it could be that it is myh third time, or the fact that I had prepped by doing 3 full body workouts a week along with 5 -6 days of cardio for two months before I started, or maybe because the SC workouts are shorter? Most probably combination of all three.

I will see how meso II goes with SC.

That is actually fascinating to me that your bone mass has increased. I don't know a lot about it but I've heard/read that jumping helps strengthen your bones so all of the jumping in HIIT maybe is really helping you do that?!

I had been in an STS rotation before the cardio workouts came out so I'm just now starting Meso 3, today will be my second work-out. (I'm doing the 6 month rotation). I had a slow start as I was sick most of January and while I was able to keep up with the strenth, the cardio exhausted me. Now that I'm better I am absolutely loving it!

I totally identify with you when you say that you would spend more time trying to figure out what you felt like doing. That was so me! Now I know what is coming and I have a specific schedule to follow. It keeps me on track and I feel confident that I'm following a good program. I love how hard my body feels and I also love the increase in cardio and "jump" endurance I'm experiencing. I definitely have more stamina and am able to keep up better now than before. I was intimidated by Double Wave Pyramid but just did it for the first time this week and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too hard for me and yet was definitely a challenge. I can't wait to do it again.

I've definitely been able to follow this program since each day is right now there. The old "what do I feel like doing today" has just turned into a no-brainer so I waste no time on that! I'm on the 4th week of meso 1, and last week actually started doubling up some. I added one extra HiiT after STS or a quick 2 mile run. That first week was tough but I'm feeling much better. Don't know about measurements or weights but there is a certain pair of jeans that feels better! I'm actually repeating meso 1 after my recovery week, then on to meso 2. Up until this I've done nothing since a shoulder injury in September so I had a lot of leaning out to do. Plus my shoulder still bothers me so I'm not rushing into those heavy weights. But w/ this whole program laid out - and knowing one week builds on the next - I've gone from basically doing nothing to 6 days a week because I know I'm committed.

Sandra, yes weight training does assist in growth of bone density. It has to do with the increased muscle drawing on the bones. It's one of the reasons people with osteoporosis symptoms are encouraged to do light weight training.

I love it!!! I feel stronger and it is easier for me because I am used to cardio everyday. I love it.

Sandra, yes weight training does assist in growth of bone density. It has to do with the increased muscle drawing on the bones. It's one of the reasons people with osteoporosis symptoms are encouraged to do light weight training.

Both high impact and weight training help with bone density - so, this rotation really works!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.