Weights & Weight Loss

Elln

Cathlete
Hi Everyone!

Is there any truth to "working out with weights" accelerates weight loss? If so, what do you think is a realistic amount of time that it would take before you see any loss? How much would one have to do on a weekly basis? Do you think weight loss can be accomplished with "just weights" or would one have to incorporate "cardio" into a program?

Are there any particular videos that you would use to accomplish a "weight loss" goal?

Look forward to your response!!!

Elln

Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. I don't know how long it would take you to see results - just depends on your individual makeup, and of course what sort of physical build you want to achieve. Yes, I would definitely say you should include cardio.

As for results, I can only tell you my personal, recent experience. I used to workout like this: 1/2 hour full body weights, 3 times a week, and cardio three times a week, with one day off. One of the cardio days was a half hour, and the other two were 1 hr. I did abs two or three times a week.

About two months ago, I really kicked up my schedule. I now do cardio three times a week (3 1-hour, 1 1/2 hr), leg workouts 4 times a week (3 1 hr, 1 1/2 hr) and arms 2 times a week (1 1/2 hr, 1 1-hr.). I still do abs the same # of days, but I've intensified the routine.

It's taken me two months to notice a loss in fat. However, I have not lost weight because I am gaining muscle.

Cathe has lots of weight lifting routines - I'd just check out their descriptions and see which ones appeal to you. I personally love Legs and Glutes and the Pyramids. Leaner Legs is great - and HARD.

Have fun!

I think weights and cardio together are the way to go. Everybody is different, but I have added weight training in this time, after resuming working out after baby #2 and the weight is coming off waaay faster. I have lost not only all of my baby weight, but 10 additional pounds that I put on with baby #1 that never came off.

I'm new to Cathe, but really like the Pyramids and Muscle Max. My HR gets up pretty high during the workouts too, so I feel like I do get some cardio effect. I am trying to do 3 days of cardio and 2-3 days
of weights.

I know that there are articles out there that give less credit to weight training and the resultant increase in metabolism. I don't believe them for a minute. As we age, we lose muscle mass and then our metabolism slows because we have less metabolically active tissue. I know many older people who tell me they weigh the same as they did 10 years ago, but have a larger abdomen/stomach for example.

I think almost every person I know who has incorporated weights into their cardio and ate sensibly got good results. As for time frame, I think each body is different, so it's hard to say.

Marcy

Just my 2 cents, FWIW, I think it's important to weight train to some extent, when you're dieting, b/c when you diet, you lose muscle as well as fat.

If you yo-yo diet, you will continue to lose muscle each time you lose weight, and keep lowering your metabolism. This will make it harder for you to even maintain your weight. Your metabolism slows down as you age too, so it's a good idea to weight train for that reason, as well.

I would do a weekly rotation of cardio and weights. It's what I do to improve my body's shape and to keep my metabolism rev'd up. To keep it interesting, some weeks I focus more on pure cardio, some weeks on a greater emphasis on strength training, and some weeks more on circuit workouts. HTH /karen

>Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so the more
>muscle you have, the more calories you will burn.

In addition, you will burn more calories in the hours AFTER an intense weight workout than after a steady state cardio workout (interval workouts, like the IMAXes, also give a longer "afterburn"). And working the big muscles of the body (legs, chest, back) with challenging weights is a good metabolism booster during the workout (you won't have the same effect from a workout that concentrates on the relatively small muscles of the arms and shoulders).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.