Weightloss and lifting weights

stephanie932

Cathlete
Hi, everyone!

I had asked you for some advice a few weeks ago and you all helped me out considerably with your comments on heavy lifting and being pear-shaped.......now, I'm back for some nutrition advice as I seem to have stalled on my weightloss efforts.

Currently, I am attending WW meetings and using their program. I really enjoy the meetings and the accountablilty but my weight loss has completely stalled since starting to lift heavier weights June 23rd. I started at 179 pounds (size 16) in December of 2006 and am down to 162 (size 10 but I was in a size 8 at 158 prior to the strength training) and am hoping to lose at least 30 more.

I'm hoping that perhaps some of you have used WW and can give me some advice. In a nut shell, I'm getting to eat approximately 34 points or 1,700 calories (that's including all my extra points and activity points). I'm using my stationary bike 3 mornings before work for 30 mins. and then in the evenings I'm either using Cathe, Amy Bento or BBC for strength training 3-4 times a week and alternating those with 45-60 mins. cardio. I usually take Friday as a rest day.

I know that the body will hold on to water when you first start strength training. Being that I'm on week 4 of the above rotation, do you think that is why the scale is not dropping? I have done wonderful with the WW and have definitely been right on with the amount of points and so forth.......but, now I'm getting frustrated.

I did measure on June 23rd and was going to remeasure again this Saturday, July 28th to see my results.......but, I was just hoping for some advice or insight or even personal struggles so I can stick with this rotation and not quit.

Thanks so much.
Stephanie

I dont know if this will help much but I can tell you that I recently started working out again and in a month I've only lost 2 lbs but my arms have more definition and my butt is ALOT less flabby. I'm trying not to get discouraged by the lack of progress on the scale. Everyone goes thru a plateau period. I would definitely keep up the weight training. Perhaps you could drop your cals to 1600, and/or make your 30 min ride on the stationary bike a little more challenging. Up the intensity or the level by 1 or do a different program if you have a bike with programmed workouts. What does your 45-60 min of cardio consist of?? Maybe you need to up the intensity of those a bit??

Just some ideas. Keep up the good work and dont give up! Consistency is the key!

Hi Stephanie

My stats sound a lot like yours. I had been in a size 16 for years and then I did P90X and went down to a 12. It was a complete shock to my body and it worked wonders. Since completing the X a couple of months ago, I have been doing a mish-mosh of Cathe workouts, P90X, & BBC and am down to a 10/12. I have been able to continue to build muscle and lose weight, but it is at a slow pace. I find that when I build muscle, my appetite is huge, so I eat about 2000 calories per day. This amount of calories allows me to be able to build the muscle and still lose small amounts of weight without being miserable. My body composition is much, much different and that's what makes me happy. I can feel the changes way before the scale starts to move.

I guess my advice would be to stick with it. It will change, but it does take time and persistence! I have not done weight watchers so I really can't comment on that. But, it is important for me to take a daily multivitamin and drink lots of water too. Piling on the fruits and veges also makes me feel energetic. Also, keep switching up your workouts so that your body doesn't acclimate to them.

Good luck to you!!

Angie

Thanks for a response, Stacy!

You had reminded me that I am quite pleased with what I'm seeing in my arms.......I now have a dimple from my triceps along the side. It's actually nice to look down and see some definition instead of flab.........so, that is a plus.

As far as the cycling I have about 10 different iCycle workouts that I'm rotating so I don't become board (which I tend to do if I don't keep varying them). I wear a HRM constantly to gauge my workouts and for these I'm burning over 200 calories in the 30 minutes doing the iCycle workouts.

My cardio is usually TJ or other kickboxing, step and sometimes it is an iTread. I'm burning anywhere from 400-600 calories......Do you think that is enough?

"Happiness is knowing what you are doing next without me saying it!" - Cathe

Angie........Congratulations on your progress, as well! It's wonderful to see a change and then we get "greedy".......LOL I'm impatient, I know.......but, when you work so hard you feel like you should see quicker results. I guess I'm a product of this time always wanting things right away.

I do drink a ton of water and take a vitamin, but I could always use more fruits and veggies......so, I'll start concentrating there. I guess I just want to be sure what I'm doing WILL eventually work. When I go to my WW meetings and the leader sort of asks....."Are you sure you are journaling everything" every week that I'm stalled. I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong since I'm not losing.

I will be sticking with it. Thanks for that motivation. :)

My suggestion is to not eat your activity points for a week or 2 and see if that makes a difference in your weight. Also I have begun losing ever so slowly but still losing by doing weights only no cardio (or if I do do cardio it is only 1 day a week). I strength train 3 days a week and am seeing the weight come off. Though as I mentioned before it is very slow but consistent. I am down almost 12 pounds since Feb. I would rather lose it slowly and keep it off than too fast and gain it back. I am also still enjoying all my favorite foods.

You have done well.:7

I have done WW in the past with great success. But I was breastfeeding. I was able to eat more calories etc. Plus I did not do hard workouts. My workouts consisted of walk/jog 2-3miles 4 days a week. And using my Bowflex 3times a week.

Now things are different I am again trying to lose baby weight. I decided to WW at home this time, I am not breastfeeding now he is 21mo old. The scale barely budged for all of my dedication.
So I got on here and started reading posts about Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. I did not order the book because it is $40, but I was able to search online and found the calorie/food principals of the book. I have increased my calories, continued my workouts, and I finally am feeling/noticing a difference. I signed up for a free acct. with Fitday and loved it, then I bought the program for $20 this last weekend. It is worth it.

My weight is coming off slowly but its coming. And I am getting great defination all over my body.
Billie TX

Hi Stephanie,

I am following weight watchers and have made lifetime twice before. The only thing WW measures is weight. They do not look at body composition, muscle mass to fat ratio, just weight. I usually earn 8-11 activity points per day and don't eat them but rarely. I am also following a heavy weight rotation right now and my weightloss has stalled.

How frustrating to have your leader ask if you are journaling everything. I feel your pain. You probably workout more and harder than most WW members. My only advice is to make sure are eating healthy (within your points range) and exercising daily. Eventually, the weight will come off.

You're not alone.

Diana

Thanks Annette, Billie and Diana for your responses.

I guess I'm going to try not eating my AP's for a few weeks to see if that helps. I'm usually starving so this will be quite the challenge for me.

Sticking with this and pushing through the plateau and working on my rotation is what I'll do.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Stephanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.