Weighted vest

wonderwoman

Cathlete
For those of you who have one how do you incorporate it into your workouts?

If you are doing leg work with it and use no additional weights can you then say your doing walking lunges with 12 lbs? Or howeveruch the vest weighs?

Last edited:
Yes, add the weight of the vest on to whatever the weight you choose on your dumbells, barbell, kettlebell, etc. I love to use my vest (I have 2: one 10# and one 20#) esp for walking lunges, but mostly because I use a heavy barbell and the vest also adds some extra cushioning where the bar rests on my back/shoulders.

You mean just to wear it while you are doing the moves? I don't really see how, though certainly there are many others much more knowledgeable about mechanics than I. But if I am doing curls or extensions I am usually seated or lying, so I would think the weight of the vest would be negated. I've really only used it on lower body - as I said my walking lunges, something I call ski squats, squats on my BOSU where I like the weight centered, etc. It might help on some ab work, but I would think you'd have to be very careful.

Just wanted to add that I agree with Lorrie--the weighted vest is a great purchase. I own both Cathe's 12lb and 20lb vest. I definitely use the 20lb vest way more. It is great for walking lunges and to add extra weight when the barbell is too heavy to lift over your head (for squats, etc). I also use it when I'm squatting with higher reps + lighter weights--like 40lbs--so that I can just put on the vest and grab two 10lb dumbbells. No need to even load up a bar. (I'm lazy like that some mornings!)

Also, if you are looking to transition from knee push-ups to traditional push-ups, wearing the vest while doing push-ups on your knees can give you added resistance to assist you in building strength for toe push-ups. (This is a tip from Cathe.)

I also use a 12 pound weighted vest with certain cardio workouts. Right now i'm using it to do Les Mills Combat and it really increases the intensity.

You can use it for a great hiking/walking workout. Adjust your weight on your hrm to include the added weight for an additional calorie burn without adding impact. It increases the intensity of a normal walking workout.

Just wanted to add that I agree with Lorrie--the weighted vest is a great purchase. I own both Cathe's 12lb and 20lb vest. I definitely use the 20lb vest way more. It is great for walking lunges and to add extra weight when the barbell is too heavy to lift over your head (for squats, etc). I also use it when I'm squatting with higher reps + lighter weights--like 40lbs--so that I can just put on the vest and grab two 10lb dumbbells. No need to even load up a bar. (I'm lazy like that some mornings!)

Also, if you are looking to transition from knee push-ups to traditional push-ups, wearing the vest while doing push-ups on your knees can give you added resistance to assist you in building strength for toe push-ups. (This is a tip from Cathe.)
This is what I do. I have both also.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.