Weight Watchers On-Line

Gerry

Cathlete
Anyone ever join this group on their internet site? If so, what did you think of it? Is it worth the investment?

I have joined it a few times, it's great if you use it, they have good tools for tracking all of your points, foods, activity, water intake, etc. For me I have to be very motivated to follow a food plan, so when I was motivated, I tracked everything everyday, read the boards, did my own weekly weigh in, etc. Once a member you'll have access to the food database that tells you all the point values, and what items are core, oh I think they call it "simply filling" now, but it's the same as Core.

I agree with Dela, in that you have to use it to benefit from it. I am another one that uses things for a short while and then move on... come to think of it, I am still paying for the subscription and haven't been to the site for months! better cancel now that I think about it. but I did better when I went to the meetings, but didn't like doing it by myself so I quit... Hmmm... I'm seeing a pattern here... It really doesn't hurt to try it for a month or two... as you can always cancel...

Also, take a look at Cathe's Nutrition Manager... that one is only $10 a month (or less if you do a longer subscription), and while it doesn't have as many features as WW, it is a good program and actually grades your daily intake and helps you make changes to get your "grades up" so to speak... again, you have to use it to benefit from this or any program...

good luck in whatever you decide.

I think one of the things that makes WW so successful for people is going in and having real life support from the meetings and whoever your leader is(or whatever they call them there), having to get weighed in, etc... I think you'd be losing those going the online route...

In my personal opinon, having done it and now using the GWF...the $6 monthly fee for the GWF is MUCH MUCH MUCH better for weight loss. For a fraction of the cost, you get calories burned AND food tracking. If you are going to track points, you can most certainly count calories. JMO!

I'm hesitating over buying the GWF because I still have dial up. It would probably take me hours to download the info?

In my personal opinon, having done it and now using the GWF...the $6 monthly fee for the GWF is MUCH MUCH MUCH better for weight loss. For a fraction of the cost, you get calories burned AND food tracking. If you are going to track points, you can most certainly count calories. JMO!

As someone who has used both, very good point, I actually find I've been tracking my daily food everyday for 6 weeks now. I have lost a few pounds with it, which for me is quite a bit, I don't drop weight easily. Having used both, I would go with the GWF, and use the free WW boards to gather additional info, although, I have found WW has become very restrictive about answering questions about the plan itself, so people are very closed up about it.

I'm hesitating over buying the GWF because I still have dial up. It would probably take me hours to download the info?

That's a good question, maybe the gwf website has info on that. Honestly, the WW tools are all java based, and I'm not sure how speedy that would be over dial up either. I truly can't imagine life without a high speed connection, I'd give up my telephone in a heartbeat over my cable modem.

IMO I think WW online is a great tool. I just rejoined last week. It really helps to journal my food and let WW do the point calculating for me. When I am not doing the WW online the weight starts to creep up on me. I'm the type of person who doesn't like going to meetings, that is just me.

I think WW online would be great if you don't have much to lose (say, 25 lbs. or less) and are self-motivated.

I've done WW online and did okay (lost weight but ultimately did not keep it off), but IMO there is no substitute for meetings.

I've done WW online and I prefer My Fitness Pal--it's free, and I think that it's more accurate. I would do WW online if I was also going to meetings, but otherwise, I'll stick with My Fitness Pal.

I used to go to the meetings so WW online was included. It just wasn't for me and I hardly used it, so when I quit the meetings I quit paying for the online services too. There were just way too many stipulations on what you could/couldn't post (ie, you can't post point values which I got in trouble for MANY times) and I found it easier to track my points/workouts/etc in my day planner. Also, I didn't find the community very friendly overall. I'd much rather come here!

It works - you just have to use it. I have used it consistently and it worked out great for me. It is just with anything - if your GWF sits in its box and you never strapped it on and you never downloaded the info - it doesn't work. If you buy exercise videos and you never do them - they don't work - if you use them they do. Same with WW - go on the site do what it tells you and follow the program - use the tools - it does work. Does it work for you - that is the question.

I am currently doing weight watchers online. I think it works for me cause I enjoy using all the tools and message boards. I have lost a total of 30 pounds and am still going strong. You do have to be ready to make a change and be self-motivated though!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.