weight training books

lwseymour

Cathlete
I would like to buy a book that illustrates several exercises for each body part that can be done in the home NOT in a gym. Obviously I don't mind if it shows both as long as it keeps the home exerciser in mind. I looked at amazon.com and read several opinions but the opinions of my fellow cathe fans would mean much more to me. Any recommendations?
Happy Easter to all!
Lisa

Hi, Lisa!

Last Sunday I spent at least two hours going through all the weight training books at Borders bookstore--there were so many! I was looking for exactly what you have mentioned. The problem was that most of them were "women's" weight training books and they were very wimpy--all the programs used about 3 or 5 pound dumbbells and were incredibly basic OR they featured competitive bodybuilders that were so huge you could see every vein in their body--not a pretty sight, really. It was difficult to find a good, serious, but not hard-care (i.e., bodybuilding 24/7) book!

I did end up finding a great one, though. I think you'd like it. It is for both men and women. The title is "Getting Strong" by Bill Pearl. It has everything you need to know in it: whether you are just beginning a program or want to get very advanced, he has a program for you and illustrates several routines and exercises for each bodypart. He shows lots of exercises using mostly free weights, a few using machines, but gives lots of modifications with those. I'm really happy with it; even my husband, who is very knowledgable on weight training (he was a Master Fitness Trainer for the Army) said it was a great choice. Bill Pearl used to be a competitive bodybuilder and is very well-known in bodybuilding, but he is very realistic and down to earth in his approach. It also includes sections on nutrition, supplements, injury, etc. I highly recommend this book!

Hope this helps!
Denise

Body RX

I just finished reading Body RX by Dr. Connelly (I forget his first name & can't find my book--my DH is reading it now). The last half of the book focuses on exercise & he shows both machines & free weights for the exercises. He explains good form & says you really need to HEAVY UP!!!!

I liked his nutrition sections, too. However, after a visit to GNC & Vitamin Shoppe, find that you'd have to be relatively wealthy to follow his high protein supplement diet. I'll try to get my protein through natural sources (grin).

Take a look at it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I agree, Connelly's book Body Rx has some great nutritional advice and also illustrates some at-home exercises. However as far as exercises go, I like Joyce Vedral's book called Definition. I'd check it out.

:) Stacy

Lisa,
I recently purchased David Kirsch's "Sound Mind, Sound Body" and I really like it. He describes a wide variety of home exercises for each muscle groups, including some truly unique moves and numerous "twists" on classic moves. The pictures are beautiful! He also suggests how to incorporate the exercises in different programs based on your goals and body shape.
The book also contains a section on nutrition, with several recipes. Oh yeah, there's a brief chapter describing "Heidi Klum's Bikini Boot Camp"... I guess he thought that would be a good marketing thing :-rollen I just skipped that part!

GP

I second the "Getting Stronger" suggestion. This is a classic strength training book and it's full of great information. I am on my third copy, as I have given away copies to friends.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.