weight set recommendation

sjdavis

Cathlete
I'm a veteran Cathlete, but new to strength training. Can anyone recommend a good weight set? I'm looking at the Troy brss-110.

Last edited:
That looks like a good set. I have the dumbell handles/bars but rarely use them, too much changing of weight plates. So if you dont have a set of dumbells I'd also invest in that as well. Depending on your strength a good starter set is a set of 5, 8, 10, 12 and possibly even 15 lb dumbells.

I'd add that some 3s might not be a bad idea too, for the smaller shoulder muscles. Cathe has some killer moves that I know I cannot do (yet) with 5 lbs...have to use 3s.

To save a small amount of money you could also hold the 2.5 lb weight plates in place of getting 3 lb dumbells, just a thought.

When I first started with strength training, I slowly acquired heavier and heavier dumbbells from Wal-Mart. They are pretty basic but they are the absolute best price I have found for iron! It took me a few years and I did start out with the weights that Stacy mentioned plus the 3's Candiceena mentioned. Then as I got stronger I got the 15's, 20's, 25's and 30 lb dumbbells. I also got two of these Gold's Gym weight racks at Wal-Mart Gold's Gym Dumbbell Rack - Walmart.com Happy Shopping! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.