Weak Ankles and STEP

Lee Anne

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I have been doing your workouts since the very first one, but stopped the STEP ones a couple of years ago because I can't find a shoe to support my ankles enough. I was doing one of the workouts and didn't hit the step correctly and fell to the floor. I honestly thought I had broken my ankle because I felt and heard stuff crack when I fell. Fortunately, I was wrong! :) That was the second time this had happened, but the first time was not as severe. My entire foot was bruised. There is still a popping noise in my ankle. I have always run and haven't had a problem with my ankle and just recently bought a spin bike and your spin dvd's and love them!!! Besides running on a treadmill, and spinning, I also workout on the Summit Climber, and lift. ...but I still miss the STEP! Do you have any recommendations on a shoe or something I can use to support my ankles so this doesn't happen?

Thanks!

Lee Anne

Not cathe but I had the same problem. I purchased the vibram five fingers and they work great for me. I would never have guessed that the lack of ankle support would actually help my ankles. They take awhile to get used to but now my ankles are stronger and I don't trip myself and fall.

Not Cathe, but when I rolled my ankle a few years ago I would wear an ankle brace for all my high impact workouts for extra support. That did the trick for me for a while.

i found that my ankle strength dramatically improved with running off road on a soft surface. I didn't expect it to, but it did.

The same thing happened to me in 1997. I stepped off the step wrong and inverted my left ankle. I heard it pop/crack and I fell to the ground in excrutiating pain. I managed to get my shoe off - barely. I was on the ground holding my ankle in pain and the entire thing swelled up so fast in my hand. I actually had to cut my sock off. This all happened in a matter of minutes. I was also told I didn't break anything, but rather tore my muscles, tendons and ligaments and displaced the navicular. I was told I would have been better off breaking it because they could have set the bones back and allowed the ankle to heal.

I did years of therapy, wore several hard casts and had several injections of cortisone. Out of nowhere the thing starts swelling and I have to have fluid withdrawn. I also just randomly fall because my ankle just gives out. When I stretch my legs out, my left foot literally just flops to the right 90 degrees and can touch the ground. Whereas my normal right foot sticks up straight or points a little in.

I was unable to do step because I kept falling, however I could run on a level treadmill with no problems or pain. But I love step! I tried wearing high-top shoes, ankle braces, etc. I finally went back to step but eventually would fall and re-sprain my ankle.

Finally, I was given Bioskin Trilock ankle brace and that is the only brace that is stiff enough to prevent me from falling. It is also thin enough that I can wear shoes (albeit I have to loosen the laces a bit). The trilock is the key - it comes with an extra velcro strap that you 'lock' your ankle in place and it cannot invert. It is a bit expensive, but cheaper than all the other shoes and braces I have tried. I even bought 2 - one for exercise and one for everyday.

My only caution is the brace can be very tricky to put on with all the straps and criss crossing, but once you learn it, it is really easy. I didn't have internet back when I first got it and I tried following directions and it was crazy confusing. I even found out I was putting the 'lock' strap on backwards (the brace can be worn on the right or left foot, you just reverse the criss cross and I managed to do it backwards). But now there is video of how to use it on the internet.

I hope one of these replies work for you. I know how frustrating it is to have your ankle give out and the instability is annoying. Good Luck!

I am going to second using Vibrams or just doing step barefooted. I have been going back and forth between wearing shoes and going barefoot. I find that bare-footed (haven't bought any vibrams yet but I am saving up!) work is much more stable for me. I don't know why, but I too seem to have weak ankles and shoes doesn't help.

Gobias!!! Thanks so much for the info on the brace. I ordered one yesterday and can't wait to get it. I don't think I tore things as severely as you, although it still hurts from time to time. I can run on a treadmill forever and it doesn't bother me at all. Isn't it strange?

Everyone, thanks for the responses. I have Vibrams and never thought about wearing them for the STEP. Maybe using the Vibrams plus the brace will work a miracle.

Thanks again!

Lee Anne

Lee Anne,

I hope the brace works out for you. Please keep me updated, I am curious if you like it. Like I said, just make sure you put the "lock strap" on the right way. Sounds crazy, but it gets confusing!

Isn't it strange that we can run on a treadmill all day without pain or falling but my ankle gives when I am walking down the hall. I can't run outside and don't dare due to the uneven ground, but a treadmill at any incline is fine.

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.