Water carbonating systems

MidgetDogg

Cathlete
I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day and saw this display for a home soda making machine. I gave up pop a couple months ago when I started using Shakeology. No minor feat - I was completely addicted to Diet Coke and getting my daughter on the same path. I don't actually miss the cola or the empty bottles to recycle, but I do miss the bubbles. So I thought this machine was a good idea - carbonate my tap water and add a little juice.

I was on Amazon yesterday and found one that was reasonably priced, but you have to also buy CO2 cartridges. Just wondering if anyone has one of these and if they're worth it? I REALLY hate all the empty bottles, but I'm liking the carbonated water with a bit of cherry juice in it.

FWIW, a friend of mine (who believes in Kangan water) says that all carbonated drinks are highly acidic and extremely bad for you. IDK, myself.

Why would they be? If you just take a bottle of water and add CO2, where would the acid come from? I don't get that.

Ionized alkaline water is what you get from Kangan water and other water ionizer machines, which is what my friend believes in. Regarding livestrong...isn't Lance Armstrong one of the doping bikers? Just asking, I thought I read some controversy about it recently. I'm sitting here drinking coffee, so I'm hardly in any position to point fingers, anyway. I don't know that magic water would fix me either. ::shrugs:: Must eat mo' veggies...

I have the sodastream and I love it. I don't drink a lot of soda but when I want it I can just whip it up. My dh and teenagers do like soda though and 1) I like not having to buy it and lug it home and 2) even the regular flavors are made without high fructose corn syrup so it is 35 calories per glass as opposed to 100+. So a healthier choice for them too.

Ok... I thought I just posted this, but it didn't show up. Apologies if there's a double post somewhere!

So then this applies to waters like Perrier, San Pellegrino and the like? I drink "still" water when I work out, but tend to drink mineral water through the day. (I'm more likely to meet my water requirement when I drink Perrier, etc. They're just more "fun.")

Confused...

Ionized alkaline water is what you get from Kangan water and other water ionizer machines, which is what my friend believes in. Regarding livestrong...isn't Lance Armstrong one of the doping bikers? Just asking, I thought I read some controversy about it recently. I'm sitting here drinking coffee, so I'm hardly in any position to point fingers, anyway. I don't know that magic water would fix me either. ::shrugs:: Must eat mo' veggies...

They've never been able to prove that Lance is a doper, it's just rumors at this point.

Coffee is actually pretty good for you if you don't go to town on it and watch what you put into it. I only drink mine black.

Ok... I thought I just posted this, but it didn't show up. Apologies if there's a double post somewhere!

So then this applies to waters like Perrier, San Pellegrino and the like? I drink "still" water when I work out, but tend to drink mineral water through the day. (I'm more likely to meet my water requirement when I drink Perrier, etc. They're just more "fun.")

Confused...

From what I gathered by reading the articles, mineral water is naturally occuring and is fine. It's the water that is carbonated by adding CO2 that gets to be questionable. They suggested that it's only "dangerous" when consumed in high amounts (whatever that means). I've just decided to add a splash of pure fruit juice to my water, or cucumber slices.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.