Washing hair twice a day, is it OK?

MRSchultz

Cathlete
Hi everyone - I workout in the AM before going to work and then teach two classes after work, so I'm showering twice a day. Now, I certainly don't mind that, I'm wondering if shampooing my hair twice a day is good for it? I've read conflicting reports, any advice? Sometimes I try to just use a little conditioner, but my hair is usually drenched in sweat ;) so it needs something to clean it, right?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Marcia.

Heh, how funny, I'm trying to longer between shampoos.

Based on all that I've read, it's bad for your hair to shampoo it every day, so 2X would be even worse. If you can find a shampoo witout sulfites (?) it may be better, but the chemicals in your average shampoos are very drying to your hair.

I do rinse my hair every day and I SWEAT like a hog when I run, but rather than using shampoo, I use conditioner to scrub my scalp, because THAT is what really needs to be cleaned. And, I don't think our sweat is really dirty?

Anyway, since I've cut down on my shampooing, my hair condition has greatly improved.

I'm with the previous poster, I try not to wash my hair even every day even if I work out. I shower of course :p but don't wash my hair.

I do use dry shampoos on the days I don't use a conventional shampoo. I have used Tresemme foam and spray dry shampoos as well as another one that I hated the smell of. Dry shampoos are awesome because then I can concentrate on just putting the shampoo on my scalp which is what needs cleaned.

Ever since I have stopped washing my hair daily, my hair texture has improved. It is much softer and I don't get split ends as quickly as I used to.

If you really feel you need to wash your hair twice a day, I would strongly suggest looking for all natural, gentle shampoos to help avoid drying your hair out.

Hope that helps!

I've read here or there that it really isn't good to wash your hair this often (or even just once a day). I actually go several days without washing. The suggestion is to use a dry shampoo if you are not comfortable with out doing anything. And, as a previous postr wrote, it is probably a good idea to also use a very gentle shampoo when you are actually shampooing.

The other suggestion I would make is to shampoo after the sweatier of the two workouts. Then, if you feel you must, just rinse well after the other workout - no shampoo. Twice a day is definitely too much.

I've been washing my hair twice a day for as long as I can remember and my hair is in perfectly fine shape. Maybe I'm just lucky? But I don't blow dry often and color relatively infrequently.

I would say no. I wash mine every other day and condition daily. But my hair tends to get dry. I've always read that shampooing even daily isn't good for your hair, but if you have oily hair, I guess you would want to shampoo more often.

I only wash my hair twice a week, I know, I know it sounds gross but I like to keep my hair color looking vibrant as long as posible. I do use a dry shampoo and it works wonders!

Thanks to you all. I do have some dry shampoo, but my hair is usually too wet for even that most times. I'll try just rinsing it and using a little conditioner.

I do what MadnNatsmom does - "wash" my hair and scalp using conditioner only. I do a full shampoo every second day, then on the days in between and after workouts I just use conditioner. It actually does a good job of cleaning dirt and sweat off my skin. (I think it's similar to the principles of cleaning your skin with cold cream or olive oil, as ladies used to do 50 years ago - the oils in the product lift away the dirt on your skin without drying it.) My hair looks just-washed, my colour doesn't fade between appointments, and I don't get breakouts around my hairline or on my scalp. My hairbrush doesn't get dirty or stinky. I work the conditioner in very thoroughly, and I also make sure to rinse completely.

Note - I have always been a fairly oily-skinned person, and at 49 I still have definite combination skin. I used to be a 2X/day shampooer, so changing over a couple of years ago to what I do now was very difficult for me and went against my grain. I was truly shocked at how clean I could get my hair without using shampoo.

Stebby

Don't use shampoo. Did you know that washing your hair with conditioner is good for your hair? It really cleans it and softens it at the same time.

When I first heard of that I thought if I did that then my hair would be so greasy looking. It doesn't do that as long as you rinse very well.

Enjoy refreshed hair after every workout.

Janie

Last edited:
I do what MadnNatsmom does - "wash" my hair and scalp using conditioner only. I do a full shampoo every second day, then on the days in between and after workouts I just use conditioner. It actually does a good job of cleaning dirt and sweat off my skin. (I think it's similar to the principles of cleaning your skin with cold cream or olive oil, as ladies used to do 50 years ago - the oils in the product lift away the dirt on your skin without drying it.) My hair looks just-washed, my colour doesn't fade between appointments, and I don't get breakouts around my hairline or on my scalp. My hairbrush doesn't get dirty or stinky. I work the conditioner in very thoroughly, and I also make sure to rinse completely.

Note - I have always been a fairly oily-skinned person, and at 49 I still have definite combination skin. I used to be a 2X/day shampooer, so changing over a couple of years ago to what I do now was very difficult for me and went against my grain. I was truly shocked at how clean I could get my hair without using shampoo.

Stebby

Its been about a year or so I've gone to only shampooing once a week with a non-sulfate shampoo, (Burt's Bee's Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo). I workout everyday and shower everyday. When I shower I use water to rinse my hair thoroughly and really massage it super well as if I am using shampoo, then give it a final cool rinse. I use conditioner out of the shower as a leave in but using a small amount. The next day I co-wash which means to use conditioner only to shampoo your hair with by using the friction/massage the scalp really well, this works sort of like the agitation action on a washing machine. Its the agitation that does most of the cleaning, and the conditioner gives it a medium to dissolve oils, sweat odor,or dirt into and be rinsed out. This really does work and is fabulous for naturally wavy or curly hair. I used this method and it has improved the texture, shine, and curl of my naturally curly hair greatly. My hair has even gotten curlier as a result of using this method and is so much more healthier. Here's the kicker I used to use expensive salon shampoo's on my hair especially being a former hairstylist. I now use Suave Naturals coconut conditioner as a co-wash or sometimes White Rain conditioners as my co-wash, and those are dirt cheap very budget friendly. My detangler is usually V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner, just a small amount out of the shower. Then after styling if my hair needs a tiny bit I used a pea size or two of Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner. I have fine textured color-treated naturally curly hair and my scalp tends to be oily and like most curly hair dry and moisture hungry. This method really has helped my hair and the best part I'm saving a fortune on hair products. All the products I use contain no sodium lauryl sulfates or cones, (which coat and build up on the hair shaft). I think its cool this unconventional method has improved the over-all texture and condition of my hair and boosted my natural curl. I've gone from loose slight wave to my hair to curly hair like the actress on CSI NY who plays Stella. So, in summary I wash my hair with shampoo stated above only 1X a week, Monday, then rinse with water tuesday,thursday, and saturday. I co-wash wednesday, friday, and sunday. My hair never looks greasy, stringy,or dirty.

Happy Hair care!

Nora

I actually wash (with shampoo) and use conditioner in my hair twice a day and blow dry it. I shower in first thing in the mornings and after i get sweaty in my evening workout. I just don't like taking a shower without washing my hair. I guess I don't feel clean. My hair has always been healthy and smooth. It's naturally completely straight and doesn't need any products besides shampoo/conditioner. The only hair issue I've had in some static in the winter. I agree that it probably would be better if I washed it far less often, but I'm not ready to go through that transition of having to feel icky until I get used to it. (Even though I realize that it's not actually icky, I would still feel that way.)

I remember years ago (can I remember that far back? ;) ) when we used to wash our hair generally one day a week. Do you recall people making an entire day of it - "I can't go out today because I'm washing my hair?" Ahhh, those were the days. I wish I could get away with only washing once a week. I'm not exercising right now so the sweat factor isn't an issue for me. My hair has been thinning terribly throughout the years and it's not stopping to the point where I'm considering wigs. I have to use products in my hair to make it look full which in turn make it oily quicker. I've used natural shampoos which I whole heartedly believe in but the odd thing is, they make my hair fall out more which I can not afford. I've tried using just conditioner but it didn't work for me. Even when I wash my hair, the back area seems to look oily by the end of the day and the following day, fuhget about it! :D

I have one dry shampoo but it's not really working. I, too, am interested in hearing more recommendations for good dry shampoos. Do all of you use a natural bristle brush with it as well? I think that's what is recommended.

Thanks!

Bam

It's not very good for your hair to shampoo that often, someone mentioned washing with conditioner only, my hair stylist mentioned that too.

Or you could try the Wen cleansing conditioner, which I love and use a few days a week.

I have one dry shampoo but it's not really working. I, too, am interested in hearing more recommendations for good dry shampoos. Do all of you use a natural bristle brush with it as well? I think that's what is recommended.

I have been using Tresemme foaming dray shampoo because that is what I kind find locally. I also use a natural bristle brush and have for years because I heard it was better for your hair.

I did start a post awhile ago asking for opinions on dry shampoo products.

http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278675&highlight=dry+shampoo

There are some in that post that I want to try but I haven't found any in stores near me which means I would have to order online and I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Hope that helps!

I have been using Tresemme foaming dray shampoo because that is what I kind find locally. I also use a natural bristle brush and have for years because I heard it was better for your hair.

I did start a post awhile ago asking for opinions on dry shampoo products.

http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278675&highlight=dry+shampoo

There are some in that post that I want to try but I haven't found any in stores near me which means I would have to order online and I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much, Julie! I did check out the link and the products that were recommended are a bit pricey for me. Does the Tresemme do a good job?

Thanks again.
Bam

Thanks so much, Julie! I did check out the link and the products that were recommended are a bit pricey for me. Does the Tresemme do a good job?

Thanks again.
Bam

I use the foam after my workouts so my hair is still sweaty. I work the foam in only around my hairline, wait about 30 seconds, and then towel dry it. Once it finishes air drying, my hair is not greasy and doesn't smell (or at least I don't think it smells bad).

I reread my original post and I must have preferred the foam at that time but I think the spray has actually grown on me. The spray is actually meant for straight hair (which is what I have) and the foam is for curly hair. I don't use the spray often because it is hard to find it in stock in the local stores.

When I do use the spray (after workouts), I spray it around my hairline and the middle of my scalp (by lifting sections of my hair up). I wait a full minute and then use my brush to brush it out. It will actually show up a little white when it is first sprayed but it brushes out (although I am blonde so not sure what it will do on darker hair). Again, my hair does not look or feel greasy and doesn't smell either. The spray actually has the added benefit of making my hair more voluminous. It does change the texture of it a little (almost the feeling of hairspray but not sticky).

Tresemme also has a Refreshing Mist spray that I liken to a hair perfume. I use that sometimes in addition to the dry shampoos so that may be another reason why my hair doesn't smell.

All in all, I have been using Tresemme for 3-4 months now without any complaints from anyone. I usually only go 1-2 days in between washes. Although there were a few times I stretched it to 3 days. That time by the 3rd day, my hair was definitely looking greasy!

If you can find the Tresemme products, I would say give it a shot. They are not that expensive (maybe $5-6) and last a long time. I was nervous about trying it at first so I did it over a weekend when I would only be seeing DH. He didn't seem to notice.

Sorry for the long post.

Sorry for the long post.

Don't be sorry. You provided great, thorough information. Thank you. I will definitely try the Tresemme as I know it was less expensive than the others and Wally World lets you return items if you don't like them so I have nothing to lose. Yeah!!! :)

If you happen to try another product that's reasonably priced and you like, please post it.

Thanks again!

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.