very personal.....

Kimenem

Cathlete
Ok.....what are the chances of being pregnant IF:

1. Had sex on 6/29
2. Have been on BCP since age 19
3. Have NEVER missed a pill and try to take them the same time each day but will sometimes vary by 1-3 hours
4. Also use the w/drawl method
5. Age is 35, 36 nest month
6. HIS age is 40

Around 2am last night, I woke up with a heartburn/indigestion like feeling. Have had it off and on today too but just NOW thought that it could be attributed to......ugh....dare I say it. PLEASE say the chnaces are REMOTE!!! I don't think a pee test would pick it up this early as it's only been 10 days.

Thanks

Kim

First of all let me say the obligatory *everybody's different.* But since we are only talking about 9 days since I feel I can pretty safely say you wouldn't be feeling anything related to a pregnancy at this point. Seven-ten days after you ovulate, if your egg has been fertilized, the embryo would implant. At this point SOME people have light spotting or a mild cramping. Most people feel nothing at all. Most women don't really feel many symptoms until at least around the time their period woud be due.

The pill, as you know, thins your uterine lining to make implantation less likely and also thickens your cervical fluid making it hard for sperm to stay alive.

Hope this all works out the way you want.:)

ETA: In terms of *morning sickness* that doesn't usually kick in until around 6-8 weeks of pregnancy. So, your period would be over two weeks late at the point. Again, just the usual, not definitive.

I think the indigestion is more likely to be something other than pregnancy. I even get it right around my period. There's no particular reason to think you're pregnant because of that.

You're still on the pill and haven't been on anti biotics or anything to lesson the effects? No worries, I'll bet my feeble paycheck its negative....

If you are worried, I seem to remember some newer PG tests out that "claim" to know quicker than in the past.

Maybe check out your local pharmacy (or even on the web doing a search) to see when you might be able to ease your mind.

I have to say that I have experience symptoms earlier than 6 - 8 weeks though. And just like everything, we are all different there.

Indigestions didn't hit me until I was large as a house and most likely ate too much.

Now nausea, that is a good sign. I used to gag (and sometimes still do) when I "tasted" my toothpaste in the AM.

Best with your issue.

ETA: you mention sex on 6/29 and then 10 days. Is that 10 days since you had sex, and if so, when were you due to ovulate?

That was 10 days since the "encounter." I thought if you were on the pill, you didn't ovulate so I have no idea if I did or not.

not to throw a wet balnket on your situation, but i got pg TWICE while on the pill. both eneded in m/c (one at three months and one at six weeks). just take a pg test the day after you are suppposed to get your af. just make sure you are regular and know when you are supposed to get it and test the day after.

you should not be showing any sympoms this early.

I would say the chances are very, very slim. Nothing is going to put your mind at ease, though, until you know for sure, I know. There have been times I would have sworn I was pregnant, and there was a real chance that it could have happened, but I wasn't. Personally, I didn't get the heartburn/indigestion until the very end of my pregnancy. Hope all turns out ok for you!

Thanks everyone. I know it's "possible" to get pregnant on the pill; I'm just hoping MY chances for that are about as low as they can be. Knowing me, if I take a test now and it turns out the way I DO NOT want it to, I have to go out of town 2 days next week and that would ruin everything. On the other hand, I don't even know if I COULD test this early. Like I said before, it's still 8-9 days until my next cycle. If this indigestion feeling would go away, I probably wouldn't even think about it. It feels more like too much acid in the upper part of my stomach. It almost feels like I'm hungry. I've had this before, almost where it felt like a "wave" of acid washing down through my stomach. Water helped. I don't remember how long it lasted but I never did anything for it. Anyway, thanks so much and if anyone is interested, I'll let you knonw what happens.

Also, I hope no one is offended that I don't want kids to such an extent. I know some people would do anything to have a baby and I don't want to put a damper on that. It's just not my personal choice.

Kim

>Also, I hope no one is offended that I don't want kids to such
>an extent. I know some people would do anything to have a baby
>and I don't want to put a damper on that. It's just not my
>personal choice.

Have you ever considered a more permanent birth control method (tubal ligation or, if you have an SO who feels the same, vasectomy, which is easier)?

Kim,

Best of luck on your situation and let us know how it goes... Also, it's YOUR life and YOUR choice, so if you don't want to be pregnant than that's that. Don't worry about having offended anyone. Seems like you have enough worries to deal with already.

>>Also, I hope no one is offended that I don't want kids to
>such
>>an extent. I know some people would do anything to have a
>baby
>>and I don't want to put a damper on that. It's just not my
>>personal choice.
>
>Have you ever considered a more permanent birth control method
>(tubal ligation or, if you have an SO who feels the same,
>vasectomy, which is easier)?

I can vouch that this is much easier than trying to keep up with birth control. Just make sure you are sure! :)

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

Kim, it sounds like you could be dealing with acid reflux. I have this and it causes pain in the upper abdominal/chest area, irritated throat, acid going up and down the throat. It might be worth checking out with a GP because there is medication you can take to control it.

And I am a HUGE hypochondriac if that makes you feel any better. You are not alone on that one! :)

Also try to relax. The more you stress about it the more likely that your next period might be a little off. You are within range of being able to take a pregnancy test. Most tests catch within 10-14 days.

Also, doctors no longer counsel that antibiotics affect birth control effictiveness. However weight does. So a 110 pound women and a 180 pound woman taking the same pill, the heavier woman has more of a chance of less effectiveness.\

From everything you said you have been taking every conceivable precaution. I'd say you have nothing to worry about and the indigestion is just stress over thinking you might be pregnant.

shelby

I know about the weight issue and the pill and have talked to my dr about that. He did not think that would be an issue. I wasn't taking and meds to throw off effectoveness so if the pill isn't working, which I assume it still is because my periods are still as regular as ever, then hopefully weight isn't an issue. I got the indigestion before I even considered being pg so I don't think the worry could cause it. I thought 5 days before your period was the earliest you could test. I just stopped at the store and looked at them. Every one of them said 5 days and the further away from the period, the lower the pg hormone so the lower the chance it would pick it up.

The test we use at the clinic i work in are good 10-14 days after intercourse. of course a test will be more accurate the longer you wait because of the hormones getting stronger. best to do the test on your first urine of the day so nothing is diluted from drinking lots of fluids. the tests you buy at the store are quite similar to what doctor's offices use. If you are pregnant and it's 10 days out from intercourse i would wait another four days and then use a test. once the pregnancy test hormone is there the test will pick it up regardless of what time of the month you test.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about. It sounds more like some acid reflux type issue than pregnancy.

So you work at a clinic? I bought a test today and know I should wait and use first AM urine. Today is day 11. The indigestion is actually better today anyway. Like I said before, it's almost like a hungry feeling as well. I ate Sybway for lunch and have been fine. It's going to be hard wiating another 4 days to take one though. That's why I bought a pack that has 2 :)

Kim

Kim,

It may not be pregnancy - could be gall bladder. My sister had a baby last May and during most of her pregnancy she was complaining about terrible heartburn and the doctors kept telling her it was the pregnancy. A week after she had the baby she had to have her gall bladder removed because that is what had been causing the problem all along! Just a thought.

Also, I had no idea I was pregnant until someone I worked with suggested my stomach was messed up (which was nothing new to me) and my breasts were sore because I was pregnant - I bought a test on the way home and sure enough! I was not on the pill at that point in time. My son is now 9!

Good luck!

Sherry

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.