Veins in my arms...

mlj83081

Cathlete
I notice that your veins become quite visible when you are lifting....and sometimes just in a natural position. I started to notice it yesterday on the inside of my elbow area, and I was quite surprised! Is it just the sub dermal fat loss in that area? Or is there some other reason? Just curious. Anyone who might know as well I would appreciate it...:)

Here is an answer from Oxygen magazine (Dec 09);
"What you are experiencing is normal for an individual with a low body fat percentage. When your body-fat falls below a certain level, your veins will become more prominent. The pattern of the subcutaneous veins is largely genetic. By increasing your body-fat slightly, the veins will become less noticeable, though your muscles may not appear to pop to the same degree. It's a trade-off or choice that you will have to make as to which look appeals to you most." Dr. Erin Boynton.

That is interesting. I always wondered why my veins would stick out so much, especially when I was mudding a lot of drywall.

Personally, I've always wanted that "veiny" look to my arms. However, mine don't peek out often, but I do have really large veins in my hands and feet. :rolleyes: Figures, huh.

When my body fat is lower, yes, they show more, but I think genetics has a lot to do with it too. I know of a very obese gal at work, and yes, her veins stick out in her arms. She just doesn't pack the fat on her arms.

I like it too :) Was just really shocked to see it on myself I guess...whenever I had to give blood they could never find a vein. I guess that wont be a problem anymore lol...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.