using STS to train for event

Would you recommend using STS to prepare for an athletic event?

I ride recreationally and every year do a century ride at the end of Sept and usually follow a cycling training schedule (from Bicycling magazine) that involves interval training in addition to long easy rides to prepare.

How would STS combine with such a plan? Well? or would you not reco doing them at the same time? If well, how would you recommend using and timing STS to peak for the event? For example, for a 100-mile bike ride on Sept 28, when would be the best time to start STS? So that I complete STS on Sept 20 and have an active recovery week before the ride?

I'm not hard core about cycling. I enjoy it for transportation and fitness when it's not freezing here, and the century is a fun event that also serves as an annual fitness deadline/goal. But I'm learning that I can't only bike, that I need to weight train for my overall health, especially for bone health, and to develop balanced strength--not just the weird lower body strength you get from only cycling.

So I'd like to keep both cycling and weight training in my life in a balanced and optimal mix. How would you recommend doing so with STS, in particular, using/timing STS for an athletic event?

Thank you very much in advance,

This is a great question. As a runner, I'm curious to hear the answer. My initial reaction to your question would be a YES. I've been able to use other weight programs along with my marathon and half marathon training schedules, so I don't see why STS wouldn't work.

But I'm still curious what SNM's answer would be!

Gayle

Me, too, I'm really curious to hear their recommendation--it'll help me get a better idea of STS and how it could help.

My guess is that STS should be used not while doing interval cardio training, b/c IT can be anaerobic and that it would be better to use STS something like six months before an event with easy cardio/base miles on days between STS, then start the interval training after completing STS with something like a sustaining program of weights. But I'm just guessing here...

>Me, too, I'm really curious to hear their
>recommendation--it'll help me get a better idea of STS and how
>it could help.
>
>My guess is that STS should be used not while doing interval
>cardio training, b/c IT can be anaerobic and that it would be
>better to use STS something like six months before an event
>with easy cardio/base miles on days between STS, then start
>the interval training after completing STS with something like
>a sustaining program of weights. But I'm just guessing
>here...
>

I've done a lot of endurance events so here's my take.

I'd suggest using STS, or any heavy weight training program, while you're doing your aerobic base training or during your off season if you have months that you don't ride.

I'm a bit confused about your IT statement. Most IT is anaerobic though there is benefit from aerobic IT. Anyhow, lots of heavy lifting programs recommend HIIT. The IT isn't going to hinder your weight training, but heavy weight training is going to hinder your event training.

Paula Newby-Fraser's book (8 time Ironman champion) had some great guidance. It's probably out of print, but your library might have it. Chris Carmichael's "Lance Armstrong Training Program) would be helpful too. The weight training program is poorly designed, but the guidance might be helpful.

You might visit Video Fitness & check out the endurance check-in. Brenda pops in occasionally (she's an ironman triathlete) & there are plenty of others willing to share advice.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.