Unexpected muscle soreness

Hello, Cathe:

I am a veteran Cathe workout fiend. This past week, I have been doing construction labor on a house I am renovating - everything from hobit-walking under houses, lifting lumber, hammering for hours and cutting and dragging branches. Cut to the chase: I am sore to the point of muscle weakeness in every muscule but my hamstrings; and have been for three days. Should I be alarmed or does this mean that a disciplined workout regimine does not necessrily equate to functional fitness, afterall? I'm having a mini-crisis, and would love to hear your thoughts!!x(

Charlotte Yochem

Charlotte, hopefully Cathe will be able to give you her thoughts but when I read your post, my thought was that you DID incorporate functional fitness just by being ABLE to do what you did! In other words, someone who hasn't exercised faithfully would not have been able to do what you did. I think any time one does something that they don't do on a regular basis, such as hammering for hours/lifting lumber and so on, they are going to be sore because they have shaken up their routine. It's just like when I do a NEW Cathe workout, I usually get sore because I have used my muscles in a different way by using diff weight/diff position/diff order. I would say WOW, look at all that hard work you did! An unfit person probably could not have done what you did. Does that make sense? I hope you feel better soon. (maybe a warm bath/massage/ibuprofin (Sp?) would also help.)

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

I also have to agree with Debbie...you were using your muscles in ways that you normally don't, that's why you're so sore. And epsom salt baths do WONDERS for muscle soreness!

Long ago, I actually worked for a company painting houses. I was so sore all the time, my workouts had to modified. Functional fitness counts! Now go treat yourself to a few spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar(cuts the lactic acid) and a hot bath!:)

You guys were right!!! I took a 4 hour nap today and am finally starting to function again. Never have I had such soreness. I literally could not lift the cofee pot this morning. And I go as heavy as Cathe... Cathe - this has been asked before, I believe, and I know you avoid nutritional advice in general, but is it possible that increasing one's protein consumption can increase soreness because of the muscle growth that happens with greater protein? Just wondering if that could be a part of the issue. Thanks for listening. That skeered me!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.