underarm flab

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
Cathe: any suggestions for that little bit of underarm flab that just won't go away? I do an upper body tape 2x week, lower body 1x, and run 3x week. I have the tricep muscle, unfortunately, it is covered by some fat. I eat relatively clean (80% of the time). Any suggestions???????????????????????????????? Would love to hear from you. Thanks a bunch Kay

I found pullups/chinups and underhand rows good for this. You might also try the lat pulldowns with the band from Low Impact Circuit. Plenty of pushups (various kinds) also helped.

Marcy

Marcy,

I know what you mean about the "flab" and unfortunately in order to get rid of it you must strengthen your tricep as well as lose the layer of fat that is over the muscle. Exercises like pullovers using both hands and maybe using a heavier weight (because you are using both arms), tricep kickbacks, tricep push ups on the ball, one armed rows are all excellent ways to tone. Also doing cardio machines that incorporate both upper and lower body motions are good options as well as swimming laps, which is an excellent toner for the entire upper body.
As the muscle strengthens the "flab" will lessen, just keep working.

Thanks, i do at least 2 workouts a week for upper body, either Gym Style or the Slow and Heavy series. Should i be doing more than 2x/week????????? the third day is either whole body(Muscle Endurancs, Muscle Max or Power hour) or should I devote a week (for me that 3x/week) to upper body. My cardio is running. I'm up to 5 miles 3x week. Kay

Hi Gettingfitmom! After the age of 35 this is unfortunatly one area of the female body that tends to store body fat and give into gravity quickly (as does the skin around the bra strap area).

A very clean diet, along with a consistent exercise program (including 40 minutes of cardio 3 to 4 days per week and total body weight training at least one to two time per week). I also like to do all versions of extension for triceps to hit this area....lying extensions with barbell and also with dumbbell in vertical hand grip position. I like doing the upright seated over head press with both arms and the seated one arm version for this area too. Add these exercises into your program on your weight days (doing them two days a week) and you should see improvements. Drink water too. Good Luck!

That reminds me of the old Firms when Susan used say while she was doing triceps work " It takes work to change the shape of this muscle". I always think of her saying that when I'm working out and in a weird way it helps! Laurie:)

Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a go:)What is a good for best results, heavier weight/less reps, or lighter weight/more reps? Over head extensions I can handle 15lbs/8-10 reps a set, lying extension-about 16lbs. What is the differnece between a vertical hold and horizontal hold for over head press? Thanks:) kAY

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.