Two weeks of faithful exercise, GAINED 4 pounds!!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!!!ARGH!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ok.....I know it's got to be water, swollen muscles, right?? RIGHT?!
When is it going to go down???? (insert pitiful moaning and whining noises here) :(

Here's the deal: I have been a total slug over the past few months, working out here and there but nothing consistent. So, over 2 weeks ago I got consistency....working out 45 minutes a day (intervals on the treadmill + weight work), six days per week, starting on my 3rd week today.​

I saw I was up 2 pounds last week, thought "it'll go down" and I'm another 2 today. I haven't been eating more, in fact I know I've even cut back a tad.​

Someone please give me some wise words about how I have shocked my body and it's freaking out holding onto water and it'll go down. Has this happened to you?? Wah.​

Last edited:
I think it's water retention. Yes, it has happen to me.:mad:
I'll tell you what I do.....step away from the scale!!!!! The freaking scale does nothing but discourage my efforts.
I think the damn thing is just a big fat liar! There, I said it. :p:cool:
Focus on the positive. You are working on forming healthy patterns. I think the scale is there to trip you up.:mad::mad:

It probably is water retention, but I wanted to ask, what do you think was the reason you were inconsistent with your workouts before that? I have this vague memory that you were trying out something new - low intensity workouts, or something like that?

It happens to me every time I go back to working out after a hiatus. I read somewhere that your muscles store more water when repairing the little tears in your muscles before the muscle grows. It usually goes away after a few weeks.

I also found that if I don't drink enough water when I exercise, my body tends to hold on to every oz of water that's there and I actually gain weight (on the scale).

Don't get frustrated, just keep going and throw out the scale (at least for now).

Thank you for the moral support and the info!! I just got done with my workout, and needed the encouragement!

The reason I stopped working out consistently was a number of things: stress, boredom with the workouts, boredom with the workouts, and oh yeah, boredom. ;)

I'm relieving the boredom now with a whole new technique: I am re-watching the entire 6 seasons of "Sex and the City" while exercising!!

So it goes like this: I walk/run/sprint on the treadmill for about 7-8 minutes, jump off, do about a minute each of pushups, squats, and walking lunges, jump back on the treadmill for a while, back to the pushups, and so on! I keep at it for 45 minutes to an hour.

It makes the time go really fast, my heartrate always stays up, and I get a great overall workout! The only bad thing is that Carrie is about to break Aiden's heart again. :( I hate that part.

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement. And I think my new system is working....this morning I missed Cathe, and almost did Body Max 2 but I didn't have time. This weekend though.....!

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I do.....step away from the scale!!!!! The freaking scale does nothing but discourage my efforts.
I think the damn thing is just a big fat liar! There, I said it. :p:cool:
Focus on the positive. You are working on forming healthy patterns. I think the scale is there to trip you up.:mad::mad:

I couldn't have said it better. The scale is the spawn of satan. It is just evil. Just focus on your fabulous self.

I missed Cathe, and almost did Body Max 2 but I didn't have time. This weekend though.....!

I'm going to do this today too. I don't know if anyone else has done this but I actually fast forward past the warm up because it is over 10 minutes long to shorten the workout a bit.

I hate that part too. I loved Aiden. . . :( He should have been the one.

ITA!!

And also I'd like to add an ITA to what everyone else said; get rid of the scale!! I find that when I'm starting a new w/o program, esp after a long hiatus, my weight fluctuates dramatically for the first couple of weeks. Talk about killing your motivation!! Drinking LOTS of water and not weighing myself for awhile helps keep me on track. I let how my clothes fit indicate how well I am doing, and once you start drinking up, the bloat will go down and you'll notice results just in how you feel. Like I said, for me it takes awhile but hang in there!

How are your clothes fitting?

Most of the time, the scale is of no use, as it only shows how much effect gravity has on you, and not what that weight is made up of.

I believe in pretty much ditching the scale, and only using it as one statistic to verify what other evidence is showing: more useful evidence, like how your body looks and how your clothes fit.

I'm relieving the boredom now with a whole new technique: I am re-watching the entire 6 seasons of "Sex and the City" while exercising!!

I did this a couple years ago before I sold my treadmill (big mistake..).!!. I would only allow myself to watch Sex and the City while on the treadmill, and I found that I was staying on there a lot longer than I normally would!

Good luck to you! (Are you going to see the new SATC movie when it comes out in a couple weeks? I can't wait!)

Sounds like your main goal is weight loss. If you're anything like me:

If you want to be healthy, eat well and get lots of exercise.

If you want to be thin, eat healthy, but light and go light on the exercise. Reduce from 6 days to 2 or 3 days, or spend less time at it each day. Either that or become a total athlete and exercise all the time, like Lance Armstrong or marathon runners.

I'm saying this based on a lifetime of experience, but I also read an article recently. I can look for it if you want to see it.

Sounds like your main goal is weight loss. If you're anything like me:

If you want to be healthy, eat well and get lots of exercise.

If you want to be thin, eat healthy, but light and go light on the exercise. Reduce from 6 days to 2 or 3 days, or spend less time at it each day. Either that or become a total athlete and exercise all the time, like Lance Armstrong or marathon runners.

I'm saying this based on a lifetime of experience, but I also read an article recently. I can look for it if you want to see it.

I would agree, but I would also say I prefer the first option. I really prefer the look of a healthy, strong woman with muscle definition to a skinny minnie.

Skwigg just posted some pretty good advice to a scale watcher.:)
http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/

I love the cartoon! :D

wlf.jpg

I would agree, but I would also say I prefer the first option. I really prefer the look of a healthy, strong woman with muscle definition to a skinny minnie.

I agree that the first option is the best, and the young women of today seem to "get it" much more than my generation do. We baby boomers need to stop weighing ourselves so much and trying to be thin at all costs.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.