Tried Chia Seed for the first time!

Stebby

Cathlete
Kathryn has mentioned Chia seeds several times in this forum so when I saw them the other day in my health food store, I bought some. Well, I sprinkled some over my oatmeal and blueberries this morning, and they are delicious! They add a wonderful crunch. The nutrional profile is great too - a good amount of healthy fats, fiber and protein too. I recommend them!

Stebby

They're awesome, aren't they? I like to toss them on salads, in my oatmeal and my yogurt. I have this afternoon snack I make in the morning and bring to work - a container of plain non-fat greek yogurt, a tbsp of chocolate protein powder, Stevia, chia seeds and some frozen blueberries. By the time I'm ready to eat it, the chia has made it nice and thick and the blueberries are melted. Gives me a nice afternoon sweet treat.

That sounds delicious, Donna! I'm printing out your recipe and will try it. I've actually been looking for higher protein sweet treats to prevent me from snacking on the wrong things and I think this will help!

Stebby

If you really want to go chocolate, try this:
2T cocoa powder (or to taste)
2 packets Stevia (or to taste), or sweetener of choice
dash vanilla extract
dash cinnamon (if you like it)
1 oz. chia seed (scant 1/4 C)
1 C almond milk (or regular milk if you want)
Add 1 ripe banana, diced, before eating.

The cocoa powder is hard to stir in, so I add a little liquid at first and stir until the cocoa is incorporated--then add the rest of the liquid while stirring. I make up 2 or 3 batches at a time in separate containers and use it as a pre-workout meal. It's really good without the chocolate, too (just use less sweetener). But if you want a really chocolatey treat, this works. I'm eating it right now--yum!

Glad you like them, Stebby!

I toss chia seeds in my smoothies, mix them with hemp seeds and (home-) sprouted and dehydrated buckwheat for cereal, and recently have been mixing them in water/lime juice/stevia for a version of "chia fresca".

I also inadvertently came up with another use: I cooked some (home-sprouted) amaranth, had a bit too much water and didn't want to drain it, so I put in some chia seeds to soak it up. It was a great breakfast cereal.

Chia seeds are a great source of Omega 3's and we all know how good those are for us! I made a dehydrated flatbread in my dehydrator with chia seeed, ground almonds, herbs d provence, sea salt and black pepper! Delish!

Chia seeds are a great source of Omega 3's and we all know how good those are for us! I made a dehydrated flatbread in my dehydrator with chia seeed, ground almonds, herbs d provence, sea salt and black pepper! Delish!
I does sound delish (herbes de provence is one of my favorite seasonings). When can you send me some? :p;)

But seriously: I've made dehydrated flax crackers, but haven't tried chia. Any hints or tips you can pass on (vs. how the prep method differs from flax)?

Kathryn, for crackers you dehydrate longer, and for flatbread you won't quite as long. You will make it a little doughier, and I like to add flax meal to it too (golden has the best taste for this)....But really it just boils down to using a bit more water to mix, and a little less dehydration time....:) Yes, herbs dprovence are one of my favs too!

Kathryn, I'm coming over to your house and you're going to feed me for a week! :)

And thanks to everyone for all the great ideas! I'm going to try them all.

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.