Traps/neck hurting during chest flies

RhiannonW

Cathlete
I can do 15 reps with the weight I use, but my neck/traps area feel it. I would think my weights are too heavy, but I can do the reps, it just hurts where it shouldn't. Any ideas?

Any help would be very appreciated, as you all are most knowledgeable re: this type of stuff.

How is your form? Maybe your weights are up too high over your chest. Put them more in the middle like your hugging a tree. Also, TRY relaxing the other parts of your body - neck, etc.

It's easier said than done, I know! I've been doing some of the STS exercises and have definitely pulled some neck muscles...and bicep muscles.

Once they're pulled, you really have to ease up to get them to repair so be careful. I also found taking some Aleve helps with the pain I have all day:confused:
Hope this helps!

I agree with Cheryl : check your form. You may be using heavier weights than you can really do with good form, and cheating a bit by using other muscles. One check is to compare your chest press weight to your flye weight. Flyes are isolation moves, and should use a lighter weight.

Also make sure you aren't hunching your shoulders when doing the move (something that using a too-heavy weight might encourage). Consciously keep your shoulder blades back and down and try to relax your neck and traps.

Another thing to check is if you need some kind of cushion under your head, as you might be slightly lifting your head because the surface is uncomfortable (?).

One way to help teach yourself the right form is to do the move with no weight and go through the move with tension in your muscles. You should feel the move in the chest, not in the traps or neck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.