Trainer Certification Questions???

Newwmn3

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I am, as a result of being inspired by Cathe and other folks that I know and respect, seriously thinking about working to obtain a fitness certification. Specifically, I would love to be able to help individuals on a one-to-one basis as well as to teach fitness classes. For anyone out there who has a certification or certifications, what agency did you use? ACE? ASCM? NASM? If you aren't a trainer yourself but use a trainer's services, what does your trainer have? Is there an advantage to one over another? Is it incredibly hard to get certified? Is it worth the time and investment? Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help!

Christin

Hi Christin,

I got my PT certification through ACE. The three that you listed are all very reputable. I went with ACE because it was one of the more known ones in my area. I've heard some are harder than others. I didn't have time to spend in a class room so ACE worked out great for me. If you have time to spend in a class room, I feel it would be beneficial if you do some schooling at home and in the class room. I thought it was tough but I wanted it so bad. I stressed out at exam time. No books, no calculator, nothing...just the computer, pen, and paper and 3 hours in front of a computer answering a bunch of questions. I'm one of those people that don't test very well so stress level was high but when it was all done and over with, I did way better than I expected and was so thrilled. I felt like a little kid at Christmas time. I was so excited and happy!! It doesn't end once you get your certification either. You have to continue educating yourself to get the credits needed to maintain your certification (at least with ACE you do). I have a passion for health and fitness so it's been all so worth while for me.

It took me over 20 years to finally pursue my dream and Cathe definitely inspired me as well. When I went on my first Cathe Road Trip, it was amazing getting to workout with Cathe live. I currently work a normal FT job plus do some one-on-one personal training and I also teach 2 exercise classes at a local community center. In October I'm going to a work shop to get certified as a Tabata Bootcamp Instructor. It's all been very busy and exciting.

Good luck in your decision!!
Brenda

Hi Christin,

I got my PT certification through ACE. The three that you listed are all very reputable. I went with ACE because it was one of the more known ones in my area. I've heard some are harder than others. I didn't have time to spend in a class room so ACE worked out great for me. If you have time to spend in a class room, I feel it would be beneficial if you do some schooling at home and in the class room. I thought it was tough but I wanted it so bad. I stressed out at exam time. No books, no calculator, nothing...just the computer, pen, and paper and 3 hours in front of a computer answering a bunch of questions. I'm one of those people that don't test very well so stress level was high but when it was all done and over with, I did way better than I expected and was so thrilled. I felt like a little kid at Christmas time. I was so excited and happy!! It doesn't end once you get your certification either. You have to continue educating yourself to get the credits needed to maintain your certification (at least with ACE you do). I have a passion for health and fitness so it's been all so worth while for me.

It took me over 20 years to finally pursue my dream and Cathe definitely inspired me as well. When I went on my first Cathe Road Trip, it was amazing getting to workout with Cathe live. I currently work a normal FT job plus do some one-on-one personal training and I also teach 2 exercise classes at a local community center. In October I'm going to a work shop to get certified as a Tabata Bootcamp Instructor. It's all been very busy and exciting.

Good luck in your decision!!
Brenda

Thank you so much, Brenda! I, too, get nervous about tests, especially when they're timed. I am kind of a nerd and LOVE reading and learning new things so I'm hoping that that will help me a bit. ;) I am really excited about getting started. Fitness has become a HUGE passion of mine and I would love to be able to share that love with other people and help them reach their goals. I hope to start off with group fitness and teach some classes while I get experience and keep learning more. Did you have to get an additional certification to teach the exercise classes you teach now?

Christin

When I had one, I had it through ACE and NASM. The gym I worked in offered a free NASM, so I took it. But, I had my ACE first.

That gives me a great idea, thank you!!! I am going to check with the couple of gyms where I have contacts and see if they might be willing to pay for my certification in exchange for something from me such as my teaching a certain number of classes or something. That sounds like a win-win because I could get certified for free AND get experience. :) It sounds like you let your certification(s) lapse. Was there something about the industry that you disliked or did you stop training for some other reason?

Christin

Hi,

Wish you the very best in your certification. I have been certified twice in UK. From my experience, I have learned
much more from continuous personal development rather than from passing exams!
Being a competent trainer require skills, passion and many hours hard work for rehearsals. An ongoing quest to develop is what makes the difference IMO.

Here is a link another user posted on "Ask Cathe"

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/best...ainer-fitness-instructor.300549/#post-2303395

Last edited:
Christin,
No, I'm not a certified group instructor. I had thought about it but I know through ACE 1/2 of is stuff I already took for my PT cert. In October I am taking a 1 day workshop to become a certified Tabata Bootcamp instructor. This is the one the Mindy Mylrea created. Looking forward to that.

I do have to agree with Nathalie as well on learning much more from personal development rather than passing exams. I have found out though in my area to work in a club they want to see that certification.

Wish you the best of luck in you journey!
Brenda

Christin,
No, I'm not a certified group instructor. I had thought about it but I know through ACE 1/2 of is stuff I already took for my PT cert. In October I am taking a 1 day workshop to become a certified Tabata Bootcamp instructor. This is the one the Mindy Mylrea created. Looking forward to that.

I do have to agree with Nathalie as well on learning much more from personal development rather than passing exams. I have found out though in my area to work in a club they want to see that certification.

Brenda

I agree, the group instructor certification was stuff I already knew. But, the club (gym) definitely wants to see that certification.

On another note, I've been doing quite a few Mindy Mylrea workouts lately. She is very creative, makes it look so easy. Over the weekend, I did her Bootcamp workout. She's already quite animated, but, I think she drank about sixteen cups of coffee before filming this one. But, it was still good. She uses equipment, that most other instructors don't use (Bosu, Med ball, pilates ball, and body bar.) I really like her. Pardon me, if this went off topic, but I like Mindy. I think your certification will be fun. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Tabata class---It would be interesting to see how Mindy structure the class for trainees.
You could niche your class Low or multi impact tabata.

Have fun:)

Christin,

Tabata Bootcamp with Toys...... one of my favorites.

Tabata Bootcamp with Toys...... one of my favorites.

I agree, the group instructor certification was stuff I already knew. But, the club (gym) definitely wants to see that certification.

On another note, I've been doing quite a few Mindy Mylrea workouts lately. She is very creative, makes it look so easy. Over the weekend, I did her Bootcamp workout. She's already quite animated, but, I think she drank about sixteen cups of coffee before filming this one. But, it was still good. She uses equipment, that most other instructors don't use (Bosu, Med ball, pilates ball, and body bar.) I really like her. Pardon me, if this went off topic, but I like Mindy. I think your certification will be fun. Good luck with it.
Christin,

Brenda

I have Tabata Boot Camp with Toys sitting unwrapped on my shelf. Sounds like I need to bust that open and give it a shot. I LOVE Tabata workouts and would love to teach a class in that style. Once I get my basic certification, I will definitely start seeking out additional classes. I LOVE learning and can't get enough information about health and fitness. I read read read read and then read some more. Time to put it into action, I say!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.