Best way to become a personal trainer/fitness instructor

Missybal

Hello all!

I've been working out for 18 years with Cathe DVDs, Firm, beachbody, etc.... you name it I got it. I've also worked out at the gym too. I have a huge passion for fitness and I want to get certified. Does anyone know the best way to do this. I get so confused when I look at different certifications. Is it done all online ? I saw at our local community college they offered a certification and it was a day! 9-5 - how is that?

I looked into ACE online and i'm just totally confused. Can anyone help? I really just want to do this becausae of my passion for it and maybe take it a step further one day. I am a nurse and can't quit my job but would love to have an option to do something else. thanks so much

Hello all!

I've been working out for 18 years with Cathe DVDs, Firm, beachbody, etc.... you name it I got it. I've also worked out at the gym too. I have a huge passion for fitness and I want to get certified. Does anyone know the best way to do this. I get so confused when I look at different certifications. Is it done all online ? I saw at our local community college they offered a certification and it was a day! 9-5 - how is that?

I looked into ACE online and i'm just totally confused. Can anyone help? I really just want to do this becausae of my passion for it and maybe take it a step further one day. I am a nurse and can't quit my job but would love to have an option to do something else. thanks so much

Hi Missybal! There are many ways to get certified, types of certifications (ie: group fitness, personal trainer) and wide ranges of education behind it. You can go online and pretty much grab a certification without attending anything (which I don't recommend the very first time you're getting certified but ok if its a refresher course), you can also attend a certification over the course of a weekend at certain designated locations (that you would sign up for in advance) or you can even go to school for a 6 month program (or longer) at a college to get certified/degree. Some certifications are much harder than others. It all depends just how deep YOU want to go with it. I find that most people who have a passion for fitness and are thinking to just teach a few classes part time at a fitness center do ok with a reputable weekend certifying organization. Some of the top notch ones are ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), ACE (American Council on Exercise) and AFAA (Aerobic and Fitness Association of America). You'd sign up and get your materials in advance and read them before the actual weekend of your certification. Then you attend that weekend and do a practical and written exam. If you pass you'll get your certification mailed to you and then you can take this certification with you when you apply for your part time fitness job. Most places will require you to have this certification. Then every two years you need to renew this certification by attending fitness workshops/conventions (over the course of two years) until you meet your certifying organizations minimal credits to renew (CEC's) There are many organizations that offer fitness weekends that allow you to get the allotted amount of CEC's. Once you submit the CEC renewal form along with a check for whatever amount to your original certifying organization, you will be mailed your updated certification which you will them make a copy of and hand to your fitness employer to update their records. I hope this is at least enough info to give you a little more insight & help to get the ball rolling.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.