Tracy Anderson method VS Tonique method

rafiayunus

Cathlete
Hi guys
I have Tonique's few DVDs. I really like her style and thousands of NONSTOP reps she does but her workouts are really really long and I can't get myself to do more than an hour workout, not more than once a week, so I usually end up doing something under an hour. I really want to trim my lower body. My thighs are buffed and I look like quadzilla [emoji15] these days, since I did body beast's rotation [emoji6]. Actually I love lifting heavy, specifically my lower body [emoji33] [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6].
I really need some suggestions. I'm thinking of buying Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis series. I don't care about her cardio in this series because I don't like dance cardio (I can do my own 30 mins cardio) I'm thinking this for toning purpose. I really want to know that how you guys compare Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis HIPCENTRIC (because I'm pear shaped) to Tonique's workouts?
Is it worth buying!!! It's almost $60 on Amazon or should I buy Tonique's Born To Move or Tonique's Royale!
Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Rafia

Oh wow, I've just checked out royale on youtube and I think ill get it hahaha I've never been a fan of outdoor or voice over workouts but royale looks like an awesome workout!!
I'm obviously of no help to you lol

Yes I have most of the Cathe DVDs including turbo barre, which I'm gonna do today but you know we always need MORE (newer) workouts [emoji6]

Rafia

Hi Rafia,

Congrats on completing the body beast rotation! "Buff thighs" - you've earned them!

Don't know anything about those two DVDs you mentioned but Cathe has some effective and short toning workouts & bonus workouts. But if you don't, Lean Legs & Abs has a wonderful bonus Barre segment, or the Leg Conditioning Drills from Kickmax are just a few "for toning purposes."

Nanbo's suggestion is also right on point!

Good luck on your choices.

Hi guys
I have Tonique's few DVDs. I really like her style and thousands of NONSTOP reps she does but her workouts are really really long and I can't get myself to do more than an hour workout, not more than once a week, so I usually end up doing something under an hour. I really want to trim my lower body. My thighs are buffed and I look like quadzilla [emoji15] these days, since I did body beast's rotation [emoji6]. Actually I love lifting heavy, specifically my lower body [emoji33] [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6].
I really need some suggestions. I'm thinking of buying Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis series. I don't care about her cardio in this series because I don't like dance cardio (I can do my own 30 mins cardio) I'm thinking this for toning purpose. I really want to know that how you guys compare Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis HIPCENTRIC (because I'm pear shaped) to Tonique's workouts?
Is it worth buying!!! It's almost $60 on Amazon or should I buy Tonique's Born To Move or Tonique's Royale!
Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Rafia

I think I would buy just one of TA's dvds to make sure you like her style. Some people love her, and some not so much. Maybe her mat workout, nothing cardio. I have some Tonique, they are definitely long. I will do 30-45 minutes of her that's it. Anything over an hour is just too long IMHO. There are so many very good barre workouts. You can pick and choose.

Not sure how you would like TA and that is a costly mistake if you don't like them. I did Meta Omni and saw real changes but by the end I had developed a terrible dread. BB&B had the Metas for $25 a while back. I find Tonique exhausting because of their length and finally traded them. There are new Toniques coming out in May and they are on totalfitnessdvds.com . I am actually tempted. There is so much TA on youtube that you can get a pretty good idea of what they are like.

There are some people who swear by TA and others who have no results but I am sure i saw some of the Meta videos on youtube just last night so take a looksy before you spend $$$. I know some of the toniques are long and i "save" my tonique royale and ATM for weekends too. I will be purchasing her new Hawaii one though on Mary's site as it does have several 45 minute workouts and less. I have tried TA's Precision Toning and it was certainly less intimidating that Tonique but i had no DOMS after TA...not that it means i wasn't working hard but i was kind of dissappointed as Tonique always "hurts so good LOL"!!

Thanks for responding guys. I really appreciate it[emoji4]. Actually I wasn't sure about TA and what I watched on YouTube her style look bit annoying (TO ME) of course some people find it really motivating but I'm not coordinated enough to follow dancy choreography.

I just did Cathe's turbo barre and I love it, thanks to Nanbo for reminding me i don't know how, I almost forgot that one[emoji53].

What about physique57 ? There workout looks lower body intense. Does anybody used there workouts who can share the results please [emoji4].
Hope I'm not bothering my Fitness Friends too much [emoji6]

Rafia

Thanks for responding guys. I really appreciate it[emoji4]. Actually I wasn't sure about TA and what I watched on YouTube her style look bit annoying (TO ME) of course some people find it really motivating but I'm not coordinated enough to follow dancy choreography.

I just did Cathe's turbo barre and I love it, thanks to Nanbo for reminding me i don't know how, I almost forgot that one[emoji53].

What about physique57 ? There workout looks lower body intense. Does anybody used there workouts who can share the results please [emoji4].
Hope I'm not bothering my Fitness Friends too much [emoji6]

Rafia

I have Physique57. I admit I haven't used them for awhile. But, I do like them. Using them consistently, I think would bring great results. I am going to add more barre type workouts into my summer rotations, and I will definitely use Physique57. There are people on the forum that have used them consistently, and can give you more information.

I you don't mind datedness, Tamilee Webb offers her old school Thighs of Steel videos for download on her website. Alternately, I've found a couple at yard sales! I like em cause you can add ankle weight and make them a little tougher, but they are very basic traditional leg work that will slender out your legs.
I've been meaning to try the Tonique myself, the youtubes look interesting.

Thank you so much for your suggestions ladies. I ordered physique57 six DVD kit. They looks good enough and I hope I'm gonna get the results I want.

Rafia

The FIRM Vol. 1 Body Sculpting Basics is from 1986, but has the most awesome tablework, outer thigh and inner thigh floorwork. The floorwork is TOUGH with or without weights, the form is pretty good, there's lots of different angles used to hit every little muscle, and it's led by a good instructor. I swear by that floorwork to keep that area leaner!

Thank you Elsie and TurquoiseEyes.
I'm gonna check em out, I don't mind the datedness as long as workout gives me enough CHALLENGE and RESULTS [emoji6] and actually I got Physique57 DVDs yesterday and I tried classic 57 total body and I really like it but no DOMS (yet) though ((like I get when I do heavy weight, lower body))[emoji53]
Maybe next time I put some ankle weights on [emoji6][emoji12]

Rafia

Thank you Elsie and TurquoiseEyes.
I'm gonna check em out, I don't mind the datedness as long as workout gives me enough CHALLENGE and RESULTS [emoji6] and actually I got Physique57 DVDs yesterday and I tried classic 57 total body and I really like it but no DOMS (yet) though ((like I get when I do heavy weight, lower body))[emoji53]
Maybe next time I put some ankle weights on [emoji6][emoji12]

Rafia

I have a little set of 1&1/2 lb. wrist weights that will also stretch around the toes, for when I want the mental feeling of, "I added ankle weights and still did the workout!". I also own a set of 5 lb. (per leg) ankle weights that I only use with Vol. 1 when I feel like Superwoman. Which would be almost never, at least when college is in session and I'm working on deadline after deadline. :) I have had Vol. 1 nearly twenty years and, yeah...I've done that workout with the heavier ankle weights plus a dumbbell on the thigh maybe three times in those two decades, LOL. It is that challenging, partially because I already have plenty of "built-in" leg weight for resistance! Usually I use the "toe weights" and maybe a 3 or 5 lb. dumbbell per leg with that workout. Vol. 2 (Low Impact Aerobics) and Vol. 5 (Abs, Hips, and Thighs Sculpting) also have good floorwork. Sculpted Buns, Hips, and Thighs is another one that works well and is nicely balanced between pelvic floor, bridge, and floorwork- but it is also heavy on ab work. However, I do recommend it, often combining it with a title called "Tough Tape" for a good all-around weights workout that leaves me drenched with sweat.

I always get a good laugh when people say that leg lifts are too easy and don't get results...They obviously have never done them with a 5 lb. ankle weight on, a 12 lb. dumbbell held on the thigh, and performing the dozens of reps Vol. 1 puts someone through. That said, there is no replacement for a well-rounded program with both steady-state and HIIT cardio, standing weighted leg work, floorwork, bridge/hip thrusts, stretching, regular rest days, quality sleep, and a clean diet. This is one reason why I have always liked Cathe and The FIRM- both acknowledge the need for well-rounded fitness, good nutrition, and being well-balanced.

Someone may have already mentioned this and you might already own it, but one of my favorite Cathe leg workouts is "Legs and Glutes". Much as I love GS Legs, I prefer L&G personally. I love those single-leg deadlifts done in L&G, because I have weak and overly flexible hamstrings. (I have the most inflexible quads ever, do a lot of step aerobics, and am quad-heavy in both fat and muscle, so I need all the hamstring/glute work I can get!) I also love the floorwork and the music choice of it. If you don't own that one, I highly recommend it! :D

The Pilates series of leg work (like what is outlined in Brooke Siler's book, "The Pilates Body") is also really helpful to leaning out my thighs and hips. They create better flexibility and strength. They look like simple leg lifts, but they really use the whole body to be executed (feet, lower abs, and glutes, especially). Maybe that series of exercises is something you've already tried, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case. It's something that only takes about ten minutes or so per day. Done with good form and performed every single evening, I lost about an inch from each thigh and a couple of inches off of my hips after a month. They look so easy in the book, but when done with precise form, they're actually pretty challenging...Hope this helps! :)

Liz

I have a little set of 1&1/2 lb. wrist weights that will also stretch around the toes, for when I want the mental feeling of, "I added ankle weights and still did the workout!". I also own a set of 5 lb. (per leg) ankle weights that I only use with Vol. 1 when I feel like Superwoman. Which would be almost never, at least when college is in session and I'm working on deadline after deadline. :) I have had Vol. 1 nearly twenty years and, yeah...I've done that workout with the heavier ankle weights plus a dumbbell on the thigh maybe three times in those two decades, LOL. It is that challenging, partially because I already have plenty of "built-in" leg weight for resistance! Usually I use the "toe weights" and maybe a 3 or 5 lb. dumbbell per leg with that workout. Vol. 2 (Low Impact Aerobics) and Vol. 5 (Abs, Hips, and Thighs Sculpting) also have good floorwork. Sculpted Buns, Hips, and Thighs is another one that works well and is nicely balanced between pelvic floor, bridge, and floorwork- but it is also heavy on ab work. However, I do recommend it, often combining it with a title called "Tough Tape" for a good all-around weights workout that leaves me drenched with sweat.

I always get a good laugh when people say that leg lifts are too easy and don't get results...They obviously have never done them with a 5 lb. ankle weight on, a 12 lb. dumbbell held on the thigh, and performing the dozens of reps Vol. 1 puts someone through. That said, there is no replacement for a well-rounded program with both steady-state and HIIT cardio, standing weighted leg work, floorwork, bridge/hip thrusts, stretching, regular rest days, quality sleep, and a clean diet. This is one reason why I have always liked Cathe and The FIRM- both acknowledge the need for well-rounded fitness, good nutrition, and being well-balanced.

Hi Liz,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I really like the idea of "toe weights" [emoji6] (I also have 1/2 to 1 lbs wrist weights)which I'm gonna use with my Physique 57 series and 12 lbs DUMBBELLS ON THIGHS! Yikes [emoji15] "it's gonna be tough"......by the way which series are you talking about which has all the good names of lower body and abs workouts (vol.1, vol.2 & vol.5 etc ) is it THE FIRM SERIES ?
All the workouts you mentioned above sounds so fun & interesting.....[emoji39]
And yes I have Cathe's Legs & Glutes DVD but unfortunately this one is one of those Cathe DVDs which I've never tried yet but now planing to do that soon, since reading your post [emoji4].
Thank you.

Rafia

Hey Liz, I think I did something wrong because my post is mixed up with your post which I QUOTED... Hahaha

Rafia

I think what happened was that the system reacted like you typed within the quoted text, not after it. :)

Yeah, the workouts I'm referring to are by The FIRM. Unfortunately I can't post the website where they're sold (an understandable rule of the forums, though). But I think Cathe and The FIRM work beautifully together. The styles are a bit different, but the principles are really quite interchangeable. Muscle confusion; lighter weights one rotation, heavier the next; varying cardio intensities and styles (hi-lo, step, kickboxing, plyos); various lifting speeds...you get the idea. I will often mix Cathe cardio into a week with The FIRM weights workouts, or The FIRM's tougher cardio workouts with Cathe weights. Keeps the boredom and muscle adaptation away.

This is a favorite rotation of mine for leg floorwork-heavy fat loss and lower body inch loss (Sunday is rest day). Follow each for two weeks:

M: Body Sculpting Basics (Vol. 1)
Tu: Hour-long cardio DVD
W: Low Impact Aerobics (Vol. 2)
Th: Hour-long cardio DVD
F: Abs, Hips and Thighs Sculpting (Vol. 5)
Sa: Hour-long cardio DVD

M: GS Legs
Tu: An upper-body-focused cardio (boxing, rowing, etc.)
W: Butts & Guts done with light (or no) weight
Th: Shorter cardio session or rest day, if needed
F: Legs and Glutes
Sa: Shorter or upper-body-focused cardio

My favorite cardio workouts from The FIRM are Tough Cardio Mix, Super Cardio, and Cardio Step Mix. However, I find Cathe's cardio more intense for the legs and heart. I will say that The FIRM is good at working upper body even during cardio. I have a thing about not losing strength. Whenever I cut out The FIRM for too long, my upper body endurance slips. That said, Cathe is essential in my book for truly tough cardio, heavier weights, and for her excellent stretching workouts!

I believe a key component for pear-shaped women is to do hip thrusts or bridgework, floorwork, and tablework 2-3x a week, no exceptions. I have never, ever been able to gain muscle, lose fat, or stay toned on only one leg workout a week, no matter how tough. I am also an endomorph, though, so I lose definition almost overnight and put on fat in a flash. I also see best results with three days of tough cardio a week, the more step aerobics, the better. Two step workouts and one kickboxing workout with two leg (weights + floorwork) days are ideal! That is just me, though. :)

Last edited:
Hey Liz, I think I did something wrong because my post is mixed up with your post which I QUOTED... Hahaha

Rafia

Sorry, just a couple other things:

The FIRM total-body workouts (Vol. 1, 2 and 5) I mentioned in the first two weeks of that rotation and throughout these threads are also ones that conveniently have their floorwork (abs and lower body + pushups and pec work) separated from all standing work. They are laid out in classic aerobics class style, standing work all done first, then onto the floor to finish your work. The floorwork lasts for approximately thirty minutes in each one. So you can easily just tack on a floorwork segment only from one of them to a different workout, if you find you don't like the standing segments. And some people don't...I acknowledge that they are from what is typically considered a long time ago now. I still enjoy doing them even now, which a lot of people find nuts. However, I started doing them way back in 1996/1997, so they weren't that old back in those days. The first two workouts, Vol. 1 & 2, are floor aerobics only and no step. Abs, Hips, and Thighs Sculpting (Vol. 5) has three sets of short step aerobics segments + four sets of tall-box leg presses, two sets for each side of the body. Vol. 5 also has no lunges and no high-impact work at all, something many people with knee problems appreciate. Of course, sometimes people only have a half-hour or so to exercise, so they do the standing segment one day, floorwork the next. There's LOTS of options to make these workable into any schedule or rotation, IMHO.

One thing I also should mention is how important it is to activate (squeeze) the glutes and keep the pelvis in correct positioning during all floorwork, as much as possible. I found that how long and how successfully I could maintain this proper form increased over time, as endurance and strength improved. While this may go without saying, floorwork is like any other weighted exercise in my book- when you can no longer do it with proper form and proper muscle activation, rest. Either pause the DVD and wait until the muscles calm down a bit before finishing a set, or if you're totally wiped out in that muscle group, move on to the next DVD segment. Doing tablework, bridgework, floorwork all one right after the other in ANY new workout takes a fresh kind of endurance and strength. No workout that is easy to complete the very first time through is worth owning, IMHO! Despite all of my years with The FIRM, the first time I did GS Legs from Cathe- holy mackerel! All new muscle activation, especially with a stability ball added on! A few times over the years, I've heard people say that floorwork is too easy...and to be honest, I notice it is usually a (small) issue with form that makes that true, and/or they're just "going through the motions". (Or for the more advanced exercisers, that they didn't add any extra weight on.) Proper results from floorwork demands precision form, along a serious link from the brain to the muscle being focused on, one reason Pilates done under the advice of a good instructor can make such profound body changes while seeming to be such a mild exercise program on the surface. One little change in the form of the person doing an exercise + mental focus completely placed on the work at hand, and bam...totally different muscle activation goes to work. I like to keep an anterior pelvic tilt with a slight glute squeeze during bridge, table, and floorwork in order to: a) protect my lower back, b) force the right muscles to do the work and c) make every motion more comfortable and safe for my hips and knees. I really focus my mind on working whatever muscle or muscle group is supposed to be worked on in that moment. I see the results I want in my mind's eye, and I put my whole self into making that muscle fatigue.

I apologize if I'm repeating stuff you already know, I just like to mention things I wish I'd known when I started exercising years ago! :) I hope I don't sound patronizing in any way...for all I know, you're a personal trainer or fitness instructor and already realize everything I've just written about. However, I truly love to talk to people about fitness and maximize their results, as so many kind people on forums like this have done for me. Therefore, I think you'll realize I'm writing this stuff up with the best of intentions. :)

I know, everyone, I'm obsessive about form during floorwork. Sorry! (Sort of...) But this is on-topic for once, so I don't consider this a hijacking incident on my part. :D

Liz

Ok, I just previewed the recently released Tonique Hawaii DVD. There is one segment, she is standing on lava rock by the water, wearing this thong bathing suit. She is doing her usual leg kicks, and spread eagles. I was thinking to myself, there is no way I could ever do that. I would be so self conscious. That thong would be driving me nuts. It's one thing to wear a thong under your workout clothes, but when that's all your wearing, and flipping your legs around like that? I'm certainly no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but good grief. She does have nice legs, though. However, I will not be buying this one. For $85, I want a helluva lot more than that. Sorry if I've stepped on any toes.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.