Tracy Anderson method VS Tonique method

Haha you're funny Karen! I know what you mean though about the thong - not something I'd be parading around with in public LOL! Granted, Sylwia has a great butt...I opted not to purchase the Hawaii DVD of hers and am quite happy with my Dream Body set that i bought instead - no thongs in those DVD's.
Jamie

Ok, I just previewed the recently released Tonique Hawaii DVD. There is one segment, she is standing on lava rock by the water, wearing this thong bathing suit. She is doing her usual leg kicks, and spread eagles. I was thinking to myself, there is no way, I could ever do that. I would be so self conscious. That thong would be driving me nuts. It's one thing to wear a thong under your workout clothes, but when that's all your wearing, and flipping your legs around like that? I'm certainly no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but good grief. She does have nice legs, though. However, I will not be buying this one. For $85, I want a helluva lot more than that. Sorry if I've stepped on any toes.

Also, this DVD is problematic for other reasons. Of the clips I have watched, what I see is her doing her moves at quite a distance from the camera, so it's not easy to see what she's doing and certainly, no close ups on form. That's terrible instruction. I thought this DVD was a rip-off. Is there anything new in it? Apart from the location.... which does not justify the price.

Clare

Well good thing we all enjoy different styles Clare! The chatting and fast pace of Dream Body doesn't bother me and I knew it would be at an "Insanity" like pace so was prepared. The 1st time I did it i used 3 lb hand weights thinking it would be so easy - NOT! LOL! I am now the proud owner of pink 2lb hand weights and sometimes i even have to drop them to finish off the cardio circuit. I wanted a metabolic type set to pair with heavy weights as per a previous Cathe recommendation to someone on the forum.
Oh who am i kidding I'm a shopaholic and just need an excuse to buy more dvd's from Mary LOL!
Jamie

Ok, I just previewed the recently released Tonique Hawaii DVD. There is one segment, she is standing on lava rock by the water, wearing this thong bathing suit. She is doing her usual leg kicks, and spread eagles. I was thinking to myself, there is no way, I could ever do that. I would be so self conscious. That thong would be driving me nuts. It's one thing to wear a thong under your workout clothes, but when that's all your wearing, and flipping your legs around like that? I'm certainly no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but good grief. She does have nice legs, though. However, I will not be buying this one. For $85, I want a helluva lot more than that. Sorry if I've stepped on any toes.

Wait, when did THONG BATHING SUITS come back in style for working out?! I thought that went out with the early 90's, in terms of workout wear. (I know that lots of women wear thong underwear, but that's under their clothing!) I must be getting old, because I have totally missed this return to a bygone era. I don't have the body for a thong bathing suit, but even if I did, I would run from that style like the plague. Like I don't have enough to worry about during a workout with wardrobe malfunctions...a thong would be truly horrifying to other people. Sorry, this child of the 80's loves all things retro, but the thong leotards are up there with leg warmers for me. As in, not happening, not ever.

Is it wrong to feel like this type of style is going backwards a bit for women? I don't find a woman in a thong bathing suit doing spread eagle moves empowering in any sort of way, including for fitness reasons. I'm sorry, I know I might be too judgmental. Seeing a teacher wearing nothing but a thong suit and doing spread eagles is just kind of discomforting to a lot of viewers, other women included. There's nothing wrong with being sexy or beautiful or showing off a great body. I think Cathe is/does all of those things, although I think those things just come naturally to her. However, she is always classy and understated, and realizes her place as a role model for others. While I know clothes or looks are not everything, and I will never judge someone's character automatically by their clothing, there are lots of viewers who will judge by that. I guess that am hopelessly old-fashioned, but I just can't see being an instructor and having comfort in doing that scant style of presentation myself. I'm no prude, either. I think the body is beautiful, that women should wear workout outfits where they can see working muscles in if at all possible, and that people shouldn't be ashamed of how they look. Taking pride in one's hard-earned body has it's place, but thoughtfulness for others (particularly as an instructor) should have a place, too. There's a fine line between wearing clothing designed for function and beauty and celebration of fitness, or wearing something really provocative and doing things just to flaunt one's body without a care. Honestly, that type of presentation would keep me from being able to focus on doing even the most fabulous workout ever created. In one's own house, working out alone, wear whatever one wants to (or nothing at all). As a public instructor, which by default makes someone a bit of a mentor for others, I believe they should take their audience into consideration. Maybe she's unaware that this makes some (many?) viewers uncomfortable? I'm not moralizing, and saying the Tonique lady is a bad person or anything of the sort. Call me awful, anti-feminist, anti-sexuality, etc. I probably deserve it.

Wait, when did THONG BATHING SUITS come back in style for working out?! ..............

Is it wrong to feel like this type of style is going backwards a bit for women?

I cannot always help but notice a bouncy or hard perky bum as much a next guy or girl, but wearing polyester or rayon nearly up your arse ON PURPOSE does not seem like moving forward to me at all either. Forget how it looks, why would anyone give their arse that much discomfort?
(I don't wear real high heels either so that's where I'm coming from I suppose).

I cannot always help but notice a bouncy or hard perky bum as much a next guy or girl, but wearing polyester or rayon nearly up your arse ON PURPOSE does not seem like moving forward to me at all either. Forget how it looks, why would anyone give their arse that much discomfort?
(I don't wear real high heels either so that's where I'm coming from I suppose).

Yeah, really. It's not exactly, uh, the most hygienic thing to wear in the world. I mean, I haven't seen the clip, but I understand that type of fashion isn't the healthiest thing to wear. I love the look of high heels, but to wear on a regular basis? No way.

Hi guys
I have Tonique's few DVDs. I really like her style and thousands of NONSTOP reps she does but her workouts are really really long and I can't get myself to do more than an hour workout, not more than once a week, so I usually end up doing something under an hour. I really want to trim my lower body. My thighs are buffed and I look like quadzilla [emoji15] these days, since I did body beast's rotation [emoji6]. Actually I love lifting heavy, specifically my lower body [emoji33] [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6].
I really need some suggestions. I'm thinking of buying Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis series. I don't care about her cardio in this series because I don't like dance cardio (I can do my own 30 mins cardio) I'm thinking this for toning purpose. I really want to know that how you guys compare Tracy Anderson's metamorphosis HIPCENTRIC (because I'm pear shaped) to Tonique's workouts?
Is it worth buying!!! It's almost $60 on Amazon or should I buy Tonique's Born To Move or Tonique's Royale!
Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Rafia

Looking at Tonique in-depth today via YouTube, it reminds me tremendously of classic aerobics classes from the 80's. I don't mean that as a slam, I enjoy that element! Put some leg warmers and a leotard on her, get her a perm, put on some more makeup, there would be huge similarities to Jaime Lee Curtis' class in the film Perfect, Flashdance, Bess Motta's Showtime workouts, or the really early FIRM routines. :)

I can see why Sylvia's method would work beautifully for some, while for others the immense amount of lunges and squats and curtsy dips would overdevelop the quadriceps and possibly underdevelop the hamstrings. She does such a high volume of reps. Her form is a little imprecise on some moves, at least for my body type- I'd have to be a bit more cautious than she is at times. It seems like an awful lot of time put in for results- dare I say, overkill. One must be using incredibly deep form to turn on the glute access fully in lunges, and not rely so much on quad strength- and Sylvia does a LOT of lunges. (Same thing with squats- depending upon leg and foot placement, there's lots of quad work involved.) I personally find it VERY hard, especially in long sets of lunges and quads, to keep from relying heavily on my quads to get through a set. Even just bodyweight lunges are technically using a lot of weight to be performed (well, with me they are, LOL)...I can see how Tonique might create an imbalance, if more hamstring work doesn't get done. Personally, I must balance my heavier quads with a lot of weighted hamstring work- deadlifts, curls, bridgework with legs closer together, and I de-emphasize using a lot of weight squats and lunges because I'm already adding plenty of built-in weight! Tonique is probably very effective, but my knees hurt just looking at how many lunges, dips, and squats she's performing. I've found that putting on hamstring muscle is MUCH harder than putting on quad muscle. However, that is only my two cents.

(I want to say that I am not de-emphasizing my quad training because I have a problem with them getting bigger in terms of muscle. I don't want to add to the anti-heavy weights mentality for women out there. I love weight-training, and muscle is beautiful, IMHO. I train how I do because my hamstrings are too weak and flexible in comparison to my quads, by nature. It's common in women for quads to be about three times stronger than hamstrings, and that can lead to knee pain down the road.)

Also, Sylvia's back is quite curved in during leg lifts. While this form does allow for greater glute activity (per studies conducted on the muscle activation), it can also create tremendous strain on the lower back. Some people can do this without any issues, but a straight back may be safer in the long run. I didn't see her do any outer thigh or inner thigh leg lifts in any of the workouts I viewed, and they're a must for me to keep sleeker legs.

The first Tonique workout I saw ran about 65 minutes. One ran over two hours. It's an awful lot of jumping jacks, high-impact cardio, lunges, squats, kicks, and curtsy dips. I can tell it's not my thing to use on a regular basis, sorry. :( That said, her workouts could be good for cross-training purposes, and I'm sure it works well for some people.

Is it wrong to feel like this type of style is going backwards a bit for women? I don't find a woman in a thong bathing suit doing spread eagle moves empowering in any sort of way, including for fitness reasons. I'm sorry, I know I might be too judgmental. Seeing a teacher wearing nothing but a thong suit and doing spread eagles is just kind of discomforting to a lot of viewers, other women included. There's nothing wrong with being sexy or beautiful or showing off a great body.

This thread is getting more and more interesting to read:) I do not think you have been judgemental.
Each their own show off in a healthy or unhealthy way.

Yeah, really. It's not exactly, uh, the most hygienic thing to wear in the world. I mean, I haven't seen the clip, but I understand that type of fashion isn't the healthiest thing to wear. I love the look of high heels, but to wear on a regular basis? No way.

I cannot always help but notice a bouncy or hard perky bum as much a next guy or girl, but wearing polyester or rayon nearly up your arse ON PURPOSE does not seem like moving forward to me at all either. Forget how it looks, why would anyone give :D:D:D:D?

Thong during the day can be bad enough. It is in fact known to cause bacteria transfer yikes---I spare everyone details.
But wearing it while working out with all sweat dripping all over the place---what on earth was she thinking???:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O:eek:

Last edited:
This thread is getting more and more interesting to read:) I do not think you have been judgemental.
Each their own show off in a healthy or unhealthy way.

Thong during the day can be bad enough. It is in fact known to cause bacteria transfer yikes---I spare everyone details.
But wearing it while working out with all sweat dripping all over the place---what on earth was she thinking???:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O:eek:

Well, you know me. I live to make threads interesting...and to hijack them. ;) Anything to be helpful, LOL.

Yes, bacteria transfers. Ew. I can't imagine wearing a thong to work out in.

How does one not show sweat during a workout in a THONG??? You brought up an interesting thing there, Nathalie. That reminds me of tales told about filming the older workouts by The FIRM, where the exercisers changed into backup sets of their workout clothes frequently in order to prevent sweat stains showing on their leotards and leggings during filming. The lead and cast were working out for hours and hours in the summertime of South Carolina, 100% humidity and 100-degree heat outside, with no A/C going because the fan of it made too much noise on-camera. I do not know how the cast and crew survived those shoots. I'd have been dead in minutes!

I find it interesting that they didn't want to film sweat stains. Everyone sweats, its natural. If I'm not sweating buckets at the end of a workout, I need to workout harder. JMO. Sweating is lika a cleanse.

If I'm watching a workout, and no one is sweating, it's kind of a why bother?

Last edited:

Highlighted above would feel like a waste of time IMO.
I workout to sweat, huff & puff and pump the blood flow into muscles.:(;)

I do not always get these 3 elements on each workouts.
When I do it is a BLISS. oh well that is just me!

Ps I have to have at least a sweat and a huff!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that they didn't want to film sweat stains. Everyone sweats, its natural. If I'm not sweating buckets at the end of a workout, I need to workout harder. JMO. Sweating is lika a cleanse.

Actually, it was simply done for continuity of editing purposes. Besides the SC heat, there were the hot studio lights, and a good number of people in a relatively small space filming together. It would have looked odd to view a warm-up scene with people pouring out sweat already and looking like drowned rats, then look at a final stretch with everyone looking dry and flawless. :) Vol. 1 (1985) was a 5-day-long film shoot; far longer than any workout I know of today being filmed. As far as I know, no computer editing was used or available. Also, at the time, Fonda workouts were kind of the gold standard. As I recall, she always looked pretty darn glamorous (it was the 80's, though...), and I remember seeing little sweat on her. But I could be wrong.

Anna Benson definitely wasn't anti-sweat, I think she was trying to produce a workout that looked good and professional. In a particular time and place where glamour and beauty and femininity were still equated with women who didn't sweat much, I can understand why she felt the need to produce it as she did. Even now, I really never see a workout produced where someone is sweating like I do onscreen. Unless I'm just abnormally high-sweat...entirely possible. ;)

The FIRM classic workouts are definitely not anti-sweating when being performed either, not when done correctly! :D

Also, pathetic as I think this is, I remember reading on the FIRM boards years ago with disgust as fellow exercisers complaining about times when Tracie Long or another instructor was "sweating too much" on-camera. You can't please everyone, I understand, but really...it's a workout! They were often the same exact people saying Tracie Long, Jen Carman, or some other perfectly beautiful and fit instructor was "too muscular", though. Y'all know how I feel about comments like that! :(

Last edited:
Highlighted above would feel like a waste of time IMO.
I workout to sweat, huff & puff and pump the blood flow into muscles.:(;)

I do not always get these 3 elements on each workouts.
When I do it is a BLISS. oh well that is just me!

Ps I have to have at least a sweat and a huff!

Agreed. Not sweating during a workout would mean it's getting traded or sold pronto! I sweat during yoga, Pilates, anything. So if I don't sweat, I KNOW the workout's useless!

The amount of sweat I get out of a workout is an indicator to me (however true or untrue) of how good the routine was for my body and brain that day. Call me cuckoo, but the more sweat produced, the more giddy I get. Not because I think, "Oh, I burned more calories!" or anything like that. I just get proud of myself for completing the tough workout, and that gives me even more of an endorphin rush lasting the whole day through. It feels GREAT to sweat like that, from a physical standpoint. I always feel like I'm lighter and cleaner afterwards, even with loads of rehydration, and a shower or bath. I'm left in a better mood. I sleep better that night. A great sweat must be good for the internal organs or something, right?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.