Total Body Trisets compared to XTrain?

AnneMA

Cathlete
I have the Low Impact Series and have Supercuts and All Out from the XTrain series. I'm thinking of now buying XTrain Bi's and Tri's and Chest, Back and Shoulders, but I noticed on the video clips that Cathe incorporates the stability ball alot. My least favorite workout from the Low Impact Series is the Total Body Trisets where she uses the stability ball. Can anyone tell me how these two XTrain workouts compare to Total Body Trisets, if at all?

Thanks!

Hello ther!
All i can say is burn sets,,does not use a ball. I did lis trisets only two times. So i cant remember much about it.
I can say i dont feel like any of the xtrain,weights feels or gives me the same feeling of trisets because i just didnt like it.
Xtrains weight wo all of them are my favorite of any ive done. If u dont want to use stability ball then id say go for the burns sets dvd. I love love it. U go heavy to failure.

The other one chest back shoulder and bi n tri is in rounds and u do not do any exercises more then once example, you do chest flys then shoulder exercise then back then go back to chest but ud do a different exercise for chest. All on a ball.
Im not great at discribing wo but i wanted to say you honestly cant go wrong with any of the weights wo but the burn sets you go heavier then in the other one and no ball.
Hopefuly someone else can help describe it. Im in love with all of xtrain.!

Last edited:
Xtrain Chest/Shoulders/Back and Xtrain Biceps/Triceps both remind me (to some extent) of Tri-Sets upper body.. These X-train workouts use the ball, a mat, dumbbells and tubing. You do 8 rounds of 3 exercises (1 each for chest, shoulders, back) and you do NOT repeat the exercises. 16 reps per exercise but Cathe says if you are going heavy, get at least 10 reps in.

I have the Low Impact Series and have Supercuts and All Out from the XTrain series. I'm thinking of now buying XTrain Bi's and Tri's and Chest, Back and Shoulders, but I noticed on the video clips that Cathe incorporates the stability ball alot. My least favorite workout from the Low Impact Series is the Total Body Trisets where she uses the stability ball. Can anyone tell me how these two XTrain workouts compare to Total Body Trisets, if at all?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly the stab ball is used for chest press, incline curls, etc., you could use a chair for some of the moves and a bench for presses. I really like how she incorporates the ball in this w/o. I wan't a fan of trisets mostly because it wasn't challenging enough for me but I really like this series.

The stablility ball is used in about half the exercises in both XTrain Bi's/Tri's and Chest/Back/Shoulders so if it's the ball you're trying to avoid, you may want to skip them.

I like using a ball, but for me the 2 XTrain workouts give me a better overall workout and flow better than Trisets. Trisets has some good variety, but for some reason never quite felt like a "complete" workout. Even though the XT wo's alternate between body parts and don't repeat any exercises, I feel worked out, whereas Trisets left me wanting more.

Another difference - Trisets is on one DVD and the 2 Xtrain workouts on are separate ones (so there's no full upper body workout option.) There are lots of timesavers though.

I just did XT Chest, Back shoulders yesterday, and noticed the ball was used a lot. I think I'm going to mix it up, and use a bench with heavier weights next time around, and only use the ball for stuff that a bench doesn't really make sense.

Thanks!

You can definitely use your bench or step on an incline for all the stability ball moves. That way, you may be able to go a little heavier also. You'll miss out on the challenge to the core and glutes from keeping the body up and not drooping, but.....

X-train chest, back and shoulders I really enjoyed, more that Trisets upper body. IT feels more substantial to me, and even though you only do 1 set of each exercise, the work adds up across all 8 rounds of three exercises, plus the variety this provides is excellent and allows you to keep your focus mentally.

Clare

Thanks!

X-train burnset is a set containing traditional muscle building moves for 10 reps. Total Body triset is not. Neither is XTrain Bi's and Tri's and Chest, Back and Shoulders. No exercise is repeated and speed add a key element--- intensity.
Total triset contain functional exercises on stability ball for a different rep range, 16reps and 12reps, with moderate weight.

Now you can decide to purchase depending on what you want/need to achieve.

HTH

Last edited:
I personally don't care to use the ball when I use heavy weights. I always subbed my step for the ball when I do Xtrain. I use the ball only for preacher curl and some shoulder work. But all of my chest flies, bench presses, etc I do on my step (with or without an incline). I also feel that the step gives me better support.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.