Topical hair loss treatments needed

BAM

Cathlete
HELP!!! :( There certainly have been threads about this issue (and I'm sure I've started at least one ;)) but I believe there has to be some Cathletes out there who must know of some topical treatments that are slowing down their hair loss; making it look fuller; or perhaps starting to see some new growth. I'm reading reviews on various products and, of course, they're mostly mixed. I know as I know as I know that there are ABSOLUTELY topical treatments out there that really do work. The problem is, you don't necessarily hear of them. I know that one has to start internally with diet and perhaps supplements but for my purposes right now, I'm only asking for topical treatments. My hair is quite bad and I just lost a lot more that is quite noticeable and just adds to my already deeply challenged emotions.

So if you know of anything that really makes a difference, please let me know. I just saw on QVC this morning a HairMax laser comb that you use on your scalp 3x/week. I actually was feeling a little hopeful as callers called in with good results. Of course after reading all the reviews, you hear of all the negative experiences people have had. The product is $400 (which I can't afford) but at least if it actually worked, I could save for it in the future. Ah, the search continues. :(

Thank you!
Bam

Oh, I feel your pain, Bam. :( Yes, I do believe that a nutritiously balanced diet is going to work strongly in your favor; however, I honestly do not believe there currently exists any cure for thinning hair. I was very self-conscious about my thinning hair, so I now wear extensions. They make a world of difference! To me, the funniest thing is that out of my friends and family members, only ONE realized I had gotten them. They look that natural. ;) I know you said you didn't want to spend a lot, but hey, we only live once! Just something you may wish to consider. Take care.

Thanks, Carol and I'm glad the extensions have worked so well for you! I can only imagine how wonderful you feel! Can you tell me how much they cost you and how often you have to get them re-done? I have a lot of thinning on top so I'd want to cover that up. I "think" I would need a hair weave for that but haven't done much research into it. I'm all for spending money on what makes you feel good about yourself but I haven't been working for a long period of time so I just don't have the money for extensions/weaves right now. If I could at least find something topical to slow down the loss, I'd be happy. :)

Thanks again.

Bam

I know this is difficult for you :(. Have you had any blood tests done? Usually hair loss is a combination of things including an unhealthy scalp.

There are several blood tests that you can take for hair loss if you can go to a doctor. Do a google search on "blood tests to take for hair loss".

What affected me unknowingly was low ferritin levels (iron) for me. I was nearly anemic when I took a blood test after putting together my symptoms. I found that sweating is a way to lose quite a bit of iron and other minerals, and women definitely need iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium. I cannot tell you how much I sweat when I'm riding.

Another supplement that helped was Evening Primrose Oil and MSM. Do a google search on both of those supplements. I initially took EPO for other reasons and noticed it made my skin and hair feel good. I take MSM (sulfur ) for my knees and other joints. If you have scalp issues, like itching, use tea tree oil and anything that has rosemary and horsetail because an inflamed scalp will shed hair. I found that out again from wearing a helmet for hours and sweating for hours. Not good.

The other major culprit in hair loss is a swing in hormones, don't know your age, and your thyroid. One easy way to find out if your thyroid is not performing is taking your temperature first thing in the morning and then throughout the day and write it down. Normal temps are around 98.4, and if you are around 97.2 or below you may be hypo thyroid. If you are consistently above 98.4 and running hot, you may be hyper thyroid and that can also be a problem with triggering hair loss. I normally run 97.6 to 98.0.

One supplement I take is MegaFood Blood Builder because its food based and also Adrenal Strength by MegaFood. Now this isn't something I'm suggesting to you. I take these during race season to combat body stress from training (cortisol and adrenals) and loss of iron through sweat.

Good luck, I understand how this can be very difficult and wish you great success.

Wanted to add something about using Tea Tree Oil. I use a mild shampoo, pour it in my hand that drop about 10 drops of pure tea tree onto the shampoo and mix it with my finger and then put that on my head and work it in, just my scalp, not the rest of my hair (my hair is down my back). I let this sit on my scalp for the entire shower, when I'm finished with everything I rinse it off and then do the rest of my hair if it needs it.

Last edited:
HELP!!! :( There certainly have been threads about this issue (and I'm sure I've started at least one ;)) but I believe there has to be some Cathletes out there who must know of some topical treatments that are slowing down their hair loss; making it look fuller; or perhaps starting to see some new growth. I'm reading reviews on various products and, of course, they're mostly mixed. I know as I know as I know that there are ABSOLUTELY topical treatments out there that really do work. The problem is, you don't necessarily hear of them. I know that one has to start internally with diet and perhaps supplements but for my purposes right now, I'm only asking for topical treatments. My hair is quite bad and I just lost a lot more that is quite noticeable and just adds to my already deeply challenged emotions.

So if you know of anything that really makes a difference, please let me know. I just saw on QVC this morning a HairMax laser comb that you use on your scalp 3x/week. I actually was feeling a little hopeful as callers called in with good results. Of course after reading all the reviews, you hear of all the negative experiences people have had. The product is $400 (which I can't afford) but at least if it actually worked, I could save for it in the future. Ah, the search continues. :(

Thank you!
Bam

I've been using Rogaine for about 2 yrs now along with hair,skin and nail vitamins and I've noticed a considerable difference in my hair. Its thicker on top ( problem area) and just fuller through-out. It did take about 6 months for noticeable results though....

I went for a consultation on hair extensions and was told that I didn't have enough hair to support the extensions :( I guess I could have went and got a second opinion but never did.

HTH's:)

Horsetail helps a lot and will cause it to grow. I also do better with taking some magnesium. If you are drinking a lot of caffeine, you may want to back off on that because it blocks the absorption of calcium. My nails get thinner when I'm drinking a lot of tea or coffee.

I've been on the generic form of Coumadin (Warfarin) which is an anti-cougulant for blood clots since Oct 2011. I've always had really thick hair but I noticed it was thinning quite a bit. I googled the side affects of this drug and many people suggested taking Biotin daily. Since I've been doing that the loss has stopped (my hair hasn't thickened but it's not thinning anymore). :(

I get a bottle of 120 capsules at Walmart for about $6 so it's very economical. HTH. I feel your pain. :(

Kathy G

Thanks everyone for your wonderful explanations and suggestions! The reason why I'm looking for external applications at this time is because my body does not absorb and assimilate well what I am ingesting. I am working on this as I have been doing so for a very long time but until I can balance out my system, I was hoping to get some relief externally to at least reduce the amount of hair that falls out.

DirtDiva, without a doubt, my hormones are waaaaaay out of balance and have been for a long time. Again, I have done many things to balance them out and have worked with many naturopaths, homeopaths, acupuncturists, and the list goes on. There's a lot going on with my health which I am addressing but I'm wanting to find something that might be able to give me some progress with all the effort that I put in. Thanks for the supplement and tea tree suggestions. Have you noticed anything specifically from using the tea tree or would it be hard to tell since you're doing many things? Also on the primrose oil, how much do you take a day? I have 500 mg. softgels.

Punka272, I'm so glad the Rogaine helped you. It certainly is a commitment to do it for 6 months before seeing results. I know that I've researched that before and like anything else, some people benefit and others have no results but thankfully you are getting the results!

RapidBreath, horsetail has been on my list of things to try once my body has healed a bit more. I don't drink caffeine but thank you for sharing that it blocks the absorption of calcium.

Kathy G, I'm glad the biotin worked for you as it does for many people. Hopefully it balanced out what the Warfarin was doing. I did take biotin recently but because of my lack of absorption right now, I found no benefits but will probably try that again as well in the future.

Thank you again everyone for all of your suggestions and support. It is just SO helpful! :)

Bam

Thanks, Carol and I'm glad the extensions have worked so well for you! I can only imagine how wonderful you feel! Can you tell me how much they cost you and how often you have to get them re-done? I have a lot of thinning on top so I'd want to cover that up. I "think" I would need a hair weave for that but haven't done much research into it. I'm all for spending money on what makes you feel good about yourself but I haven't been working for a long period of time so I just don't have the money for extensions/weaves right now. If I could at least find something topical to slow down the loss, I'd be happy. :)

Thanks again.

Bam
Probably more than you prefer to spend right now based on what I am reading here. ;) And the extensions can't be placed way atop the head either. You poor dear, Bam - it sounds like you have many, many health issues to contend with. :(

I appreciate all the helpful info that was shared here on this topic. I have been taking Biotin for a long time. Does it work? I don't really know, but I won't stop taking it to find out. ;)

Interesting comment about the connection between caffeine and fingernails. I have very strong nails, but I get a lot of nail splits when my nails are without polish for over a week, which happens often. One of my daily pleasures is a large glass of my cold-brewed iced coffee mixed with my homemade almond and hemp milk (and stevia) every morning. I wonder if the coffee is causing my nail splits? Hmmmm

Bam, good luck to you on your hair rejuvenation quest. :)

DirtDiva, without a doubt, my hormones are waaaaaay out of balance and have been for a long time. Again, I have done many things to balance them out and have worked with many naturopaths, homeopaths, acupuncturists, and the list goes on. There's a lot going on with my health which I am addressing but I'm wanting to find something that might be able to give me some progress with all the effort that I put in. Thanks for the supplement and tea tree suggestions. Have you noticed anything specifically from using the tea tree or would it be hard to tell since you're doing many things? Also on the primrose oil, how much do you take a day? I have 500 mg. softgels.

I use Barleans EPO which is 1300 meg each. I take one of those at night. Regarding the Tea Tree Oil, that stuff is great as an antiseptic if you develop an itchy scalp from not being able to get to a shower (blame that on 24 hour racing) and stinky tent living. I was suggesting that if you have scalp irritation. Nothing works better for me then pure tea tree oil mixed in with shampoo undiluted.

Bam...if your hormones are out of wack there are so many reasons for that, everything from PCOS, heavy bleeding from fibroid tumors, pituitary and adrenal issues which govern the thyroid to begin with. So many things, I completely agree with your comments. There was a time a few years back when I didn't have health insurance and going to the doctor wasn't a reality, so I relied on 100 percent holistic approaches and found out so much it was mind boggling! Anyway, please keep looking and one of the most important places to start is the water you drink, including if you have a water softener on your main lines.

I've been on the generic form of Coumadin (Warfarin) which is an anti-cougulant for blood clots since Oct 2011. I've always had really thick hair but I noticed it was thinning quite a bit. I googled the side affects of this drug and many people suggested taking Biotin daily. Since I've been doing that the loss has stopped (my hair hasn't thickened but it's not thinning anymore). :(

I get a bottle of 120 capsules at Walmart for about $6 so it's very economical. HTH. I feel your pain. :(

Kathy G

Kathy---thanks for the tip. My husband has a genetic clotting disorder (Leiden Factor V) and has been on Warfarin for several years. His previously-lush head of hair has really thinned.... Not sure it's bothering him, but I'll mention the biotin to him. I'm hoping that he can go off Warfarin, if some of the new blood thinner prove to be successful in treating his disorder.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.