Too much time working out?

lora-kate1

Cathlete
I have been doing this rountine of one body part per day for 20 minutes but leg for an hour and then cardio on top of that. It lands up being close to an hour and a half per day. The routine looks like this

Day 1: Interval tape and Chest
Day 2: 40 minute run + 20 min abs + Back
Day 3: 60+ minutes legs
Day 4: Step tape and Shoulders
Day 5: Circuit tape and Biceps
Day 6: 40 minute run + 20 minutes abs + Triceps
Day 7: OFF

I feel like I spend too much time working out and wonder if cutting my cardio is possible. How do you cut a Cathe tape? It kills me to do it but I feel that every free second I have in the day I am working out. I think an hour a day is reasonable and the above schedule doesn't even include stretching! I want to look good but I am starting too think that I am a little obsessed with working out. I want to set a good example for my children but they are starting to say (and not in a good way) that Mommy exercises all the time .

Help!

I feel like I could have written this letter myself! i am a nurse and only work weekends and I work out between 1 hr 15 min to 2 hrs a day (I prefer 2) Mon-Fri. My husband and 11 yr. old daughter (and everyone else) think I'm crazy and my husband hates every minute of my exercise. I tell him I could be going to the gym instead of working out with Cathe at home, but he still fusses. I get cranky though if I can't work out at least an hour and feel like it's not enough. If I had to cut back I would cut back on the cardio though because I love weights. Did you get the Cathe catalog? There are premixes on a lot of her DVD's that I didn't realize were there! Her new DVD's have some good shorter cardio premixes and also some of the older ones. The Timesaver DVD has some great cardio mixes 30 min or less or sometimes I'll do half the IMAX's or low max.:7

not Cathe, but perhaps you could eliminate the circuit tape for this rotation. Maybe something like this:

1-Intervals plus Chest (approximately 70-80 minutes depending on intervals)
2-40 minute run plus abs and back (approximately 80 minutes)
3-Step and Shoulders (approximately 70-80 minutes depending on step)
4-Biceps and abs (approximately 40 minutes total)
5-Leg workout (60 minutes)
6-40 minute run and triceps (approximately 60 minutes)
7-OFF

This would cut down on a couple of days. I would change up your routine after a few weeks of this rotation or your body will adapt. Have you checked out the rotations forum? Perhaps you could change up your running routine after this rotation (it can get tough on your joints with all of the impact that you have). I believe that there are several rotations that would meet your hour or so requirement (give or take a few minutes). Just make sure that you listen to your body above all else. If you are experiencing signs of overtraining (exhaustion, restless, depression, not wanting to work out, soreness, etc.), then perhaps take a day or two. Also, think about what you want to gain (lose fat, tone, build strength, build muscle, increase endurance, etc.) and find a rotation or two that will cater to that specific result. Good luck:)

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...opic_id=6390&mesg_id=6390&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=7229&mesg_id=7229&page=

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=7396&mesg_id=7396&page=

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=7181&mesg_id=7181&page=

(Longer rotation for body part a day):
http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=2972&mesg_id=2972&page=2

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=2398&mesg_id=2398&page=4

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...opic_id=7080&mesg_id=7080&listing_type=search

time is not what is the most important in a workout, intensity is. I workout 5-6 days a week for 45 min to 1 hr tops. I make sure it is really intense. It is hard to cut back. Believe me I know b/c i to used to do 2 hrs a day and after a few years just got sick of it. I was afraid of gaining weight but in the end i saw better results and I felt so much better. Good luck.

What DVDs do you have?

Have you taken a look at the premixes for shorter versions of some workouts? They are a great option for a shorter workout that is already put together for you with warm up and cool down.

Personally, I do one hour per day of my own workouts. I try to never go more than one hour and 15 minutes but rarely exceed the one hour. Honestly, I cna barely fit in that one hour and don't see the need for much more (for me, at least). I teach, so on days that I teach, I do more than on hour.

>I feel like I could have written this letter myself! i am a
>nurse and only work weekends and I work out between 1 hr 15
>min to 2 hrs a day (I prefer 2) Mon-Fri. My husband and 11 yr.
>old daughter (and everyone else) think I'm crazy and my
>husband hates every minute of my exercise. I tell him I could
>be going to the gym instead of working out with Cathe at home,
>but he still fusses. I get cranky though if I can't work out
>at least an hour and feel like it's not enough. If I had to
>cut back I would cut back on the cardio though because I love
>weights. Did you get the Cathe catalog? There are premixes on
>a lot of her DVD's that I didn't realize were there! Her new
>DVD's have some good shorter cardio premixes and also some of
>the older ones. The Timesaver DVD has some great cardio mixes
>30 min or less or sometimes I'll do half the IMAX's or low
>max.:7
Wow, April71rn, this is weird cuz I'm an rn and work only weekends. I too work out I'd say an average of 90 min per day. On days I can't work out (yikes) or have to (heaven forbid) cut it short I'm (ok I'll admit it) tense and cranky! I have 3 1/2 yr old twin boys and I usually have to get up at 5 am or so to workout. Lately, because it gets light out earlier, they wake up earlier and beat me to the kitchen in the am before I finish and greet me with "Mommy, Are you exercising Again??!!!" The last time they said it I saw my husband sort of snicker in agreement, so I've been feeling sort of guilty...But the whole reason I switched to early am workouts was so it wouldn't interfere with anyone or anything. I figured this is 'me' time. I get my workout in and done for the day. I do know where you all are coming from and I definitely have my days where I feel bad for "exercising AGAIN". On a positive note, I guess thats what keeps us healthy and strong and able to keep on going and care for others. Right???
jackie

To jaclyn H. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY about spending time working out!!!!!!!!! My husband was skeptical at first when i stared to work out, saying I'd never stick to it. But 3 yrs. later, he has changed his mind. I'm a happier, fitter me and I feel i'm doing what is best for ME! GO FOR IT:) Kay

Hi Timber99:

You know I also have the same problem but let me tell you I used to run 6 or 7 miles per day, then do more cardio and pilates, at least an additional hour, since I have been doing Cathe workouts, I am very challenged and I stopped the running since I now have jumpers knee, but yet I do take days off you need to, I work full time and just feel I have 3 girls and on those free times now I can enjoy their company and still know my body is in great shape I got evauluated by a personal trainer and my body fat is only 21% I can live with that, I know the guilt you feel by not working out but if you give yourself rest time even if I is just 2 days per week you will feel you made the right move just give yourself time to adjust, I am sure you will still be fit a ever!!!
Good Luck

ninety minutes a day is not too much in my eyes. I think we all need a day off every week but other than that as a person becomes more advanced in workouts it can be a touch hard to get cardio/weights/yoga/abs all in enuff times a week in less time than that.

just my two cents. ;-

Edith

I agree with Edith that it is so hard to get it all in if you do less time. I think you need to listen to how you feel. Do you feel strong and healthy or are you tired, lethargic cranky? In my experience more cardio led me to fatigue and no gains (I didn't lose weight or gain definition). I cut back cardio and added heavy strength training and I feel so much better. Each one of us is different, you just have to find your mix. If you feel good then keep it up! I know people that can't survive without a hour of cardio a day, and equal amounts that won't do more than 15-20 min a day. They all look great!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.