too much cardio?

shev16

I am trying to lose weight and build up lean muscle. I usually run on a treadmill for 60 minutes 4 days a week and do weight training on arms, legs and abs 3 days a week. My question is, lately I have been reading a lot about losing muscle when you do too much cardio (or running specifically). I still have quite a bit of weight to lose which is why I am doing more cardio. Do I need to worry about losing muscle right now or is that something I should think about when I am closer to my "goal" fitness level? I read this forum all the time, but this is the first time I have posted. Everyone has very good tips, I've learned a lot!:) Thank you to anyone who responds.

Not Cathe, but this is what I have learned...

Doing cardio alone isn't neccessarly the best weight loss exercise. Mixing up weights with cardio is probably your best bet! Hard to believe but weight training burns more calories for weight loss than cardio. I used to think that if I did more cardio I would lose more weight, then I started reading all the fitness type magazines, and weight training is more the way to go, specially if you can combine cardio with it.

Try alternating days cardio then weights, all cardio one day then all weights the next day, cardio the next (giving your muscles the time off they need) then weight the next. Or you can do a cardio and weight combination all week, such as her new workouts that just came out. Throw those into a rotation that will take you 2 months to complete. You will be amazed at the end!

When her new workouts finally came to my door, I put them into a 5 day rotation and a run one of the days (so I am workingout 6 days a week). I did this rotation for 2 straight months (changing the days I might do a workout, but only workingout to the new ones for 2 months) and WOW great muscle definition and I notice my endurance kicked up a LOT and my heartrate was much better both at a resting rate and the ability to keep it going at a high and steady pace during the workout.

Trying to lose weight and build up lean muscle = cardio & weight combination leaning more to the weight side of training.

Melanie,

Are you doing the full routines on each day using the new workouts? I haven't done that since it is cardio and weights each day. I thought my muscles needed a day off. Is it okay since the weights are lighter?

Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.