Too much cardio?

shawna24k

Cathlete
Cathe,
I have read that you can actually do too much cardio and that cardio 6 days a week is too much. I would like your (and anyone else) opinion on this. Do you think that a person should keep their cardio workouts down to 3 or 4 days a week? Thanks.

Shawna

IMHO, any blanket statement like "cardio 6 days a week is too much" is downright silly. Cardio exercise can be many things (running, swimming, cycling, step, hi/lo, kickbox, power walking) and can have a range of intensities, and can be steady-state or interval, and can be 10 minutes or 3 hours. And much is dependent on the individual exerciser's capacities.

I don't hold much with that statement, obviously. Do what you feel comfortable with, and do what makes you feel energized and powerful.

Just my Point-Oh-Two -

A-Jock

i would also say it depends on your goals. most ppl aiming for muscle building workouts usually don't do alot of cardio when wanting to gain mass. there are times i do cardio 6 times a week. i vary the intensity and activity to keep from getting bored or getting injury from reuse(ie. i would step for 2 days in a row let alone 6 days a week b/c it could put to much pressure on my knees).

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

>i would also say it depends on your goals. most ppl aiming
>for muscle building workouts usually don't do alot of cardio
>when wanting to gain mass. there are times i do cardio 6 times
>a week. i vary the intensity and activity to keep from getting
>bored or getting injury from reuse(ie. i would step for 2 days
>in a row let alone 6 days a week b/c it could put to much
>pressure on my knees).
>
>

I understand now why the statement was made. I was on a forum where most of the goals are muscle building and body building. I guess that is the difference. I want muscle definition, but not a lot of bulk. So cardio would be good for me to do when ever I feel the need. I am doing an intensity rotation right now and I love it. Thanks you both for your comments.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.