Too Many Deadlifts?

petramom

Cathlete
Has anyone else had trouble doing deadlifts twice a week? I'm finding that my lower back and forearms need more recovery time and I'm not feeling great doing deadlifts during both the leg and back workouts. I'm thinking I should just do deadlifts during one of those workouts and find some kind of substitute for the other. The other option would be to go much lighter for the second workout, since I don't know of a good substitute for deadlifts.

I'm not yet doing STS, but if I had concerns about doing DL's twice weekly, I'd keep the deadlifts in the leg workout (as they hit the entire posterior chain, and work the hamstrings well) and do something different for back, like barbell rows or--if you want to somewhat emulate the lower back work of the deadlift--supermans (supermen?;)) or back extensions done while lying face down over a stability ball.

Rows will also call on the forearms, so if you still find that is a problem, try using straps or grips or hooks (only when you need them, like on the second workout of the week that stresses the forearms, trying to improve forearm strength and endurance by training them during the first workout).

HTH!

Since rows are also in the meso2 back workouts, that won't work as a substitute...
I sort of asked this same question in both the Ask Cathe and CatheTV forums (Deadlifts in Meso2 Back and Biceps, I think I titled it.) I'm hoping Cathe will suggest something, too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.