Tipping for Hair Color Redo?

I tried a new hairdresser (this is attempt #2 since we moved), and she, like the last girl, turned my hair orange in some spots. I contacted the owner of the salon and asked for my money back. She asked me to allow her best colorist to fix my hair color, and if I'm still not happy I will get a refund.

My question now is should I tip this new girl if she does fix it? I'm torn on this one. I've already tipped the last girl. Because it was night and this salon has horrible lights, I wasn't aware of the horrendous color until I got home. So, I feel like I've already tipped. I know it's not the new girl's fault, and I know she will get compensated by the owner for having to fix her colleague's mess-up. But I don't feel as if I should have to pay another $25 tip. Am I wrong?

So, what's the etiquette on this? Even if the new girl fixs the problem, I doubt that I will return to this salon. I just want it to be fixed and over with!

Thanks for your tips.

I had an orange hair crisis a little over a year ago. I'm naturally a level 3. My hairdresser lifts my hair up to a level 3 brown without having to add highlights. Since I pull reds, she uses a mixture with ash and neutral. Anyhow, I went to another lady and got level 3 golden brown. What a mistake. Thankfully, it was just the roots that were touched up with the golden brown. I guess that's what I get for cheating around on my hairdresser.:-( My hairdresser had to take me darker than what I was used to having. Over few months later, she put in highlights to help break up the dark color. It has only been recently that my color is back to the color I prefer without having to get highlights.

My advice is to read as much as you can about hair color, check out the color wheel, before you go back for a color correction. I remember googling about this very subject. I found a message board full of hairdressers who didn't know how to fix this orange hair! Scary!!! You can see if Killer Strands talks about orange hair. http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/
I would then ask the hairdresser what she plans to do to fix it (right down to color level and tone she will be using), and what the results would be. She may not be forthcoming with it... but under the circumstances she can't blame you for wanting to know what the heck she's gonna do to fix your color.

The salon I go to has ongoing training sessions for their stylists. They train them in what products to use and their techniques before they let them loose. While they are being trained, they wash hair and assist.

Personally, I wouldn't go back there. I'd rather get my money back. I'd shop around for another salon. When you do go to a new salon ask for the most experienced colorist.

If you do decide to go back to the salon, I would tip the colorist unless the colorist is also the owner. It's not the other employee's fault for messing up your hair.

Best wishes!
Wendy

hey,
If the color turns out satisfactory, then a tip would be fair.
Color corrections are NOT easy and im sur ethe girl will get paid for the original cost of the color, NOT what she would be charging for the correciton.
If everything turns out OK, no huge hardships and the color is alright, I would tip, even if it's modest.
May I ask what exactly happened?

I went in for highlights and told the girl what has happened the last three times with my hair. The first time was over a year ago. This was the very first time someone had "broken the base" on my hair. I've been highlighting my hair for about 9 years, and it always looks good. Enter the "breaking the base." It turned the part where my new growth was orange. So, she "fixed" it by putting in more highlights. This somewhat worked and I had my hair done several more times.

We moved and on a referral went to have my hair highlighted. The first two times, my hair turned out OK. Not really exactly what I wanted, but close. This girl "broke the base" and it didn't do anything weird to my hair. Enter second "breaking the base" orange hair disaster.

So, I go to a new girl. I explained my frustration with this whole "breaking the base" thing, and how my hair looked great before this was done, and how out of the 4 times it's been done, two of those times have resulted in orange hair. Enter orange hair disaster #3. This time I feel VERY upset because I clearly told this girl what had happened and my concerns.

I just don't get why this keeps happening. Why do people keep "breaking the base" if it seems to cause the problem?! I'm never going to let anyone do it again, I'll tell ya that!

Thanks for the suggestions on tipping. I'm just so upset that I will prob. end up paying even more money (in the form of tipping) for having someone else fix a problem that should have never happened in the first place. I want to just take the tip back from the first girl, and give it to the one who has to fix it. OK, enough of my ranting.

I'd tip her the % you usually tip. Like you said, it's not her fault that this happened, and she'll be spending time working with you that she could be spending on someone else who would be tipping her.

clothesminded - I have had my hair highlighted for years, but have never had the "base broken". Why do they keep doing that to your hair? I can't imagine it's mandatory? I have fairly dark hair naturally, but get caramel highlights. My stylist only does the roots of my current highlights, so I really haven't had a problem with the highlights taking over. If I think my hair is getting too light, I just have her put in a few lowlights to break up the color. If I'd had the base broken nightmares you have had, I would tell them where to stick it if they even brought up the procedure again! ;)

I totally get what you're saying. Why should YOU have to dole out any more money to fix something that was the salon's mistake. It's true that it's not the fault of the person correcting the problem but you wouldn't have to be going to her if a mistake wasn't made to begin with. I think the salon should take care of the tip. Since you're not planning on going back there, and if you have the spirit to do this, AFTER your color is complete, how about going up to the manager and stating to her that the salon (or the person who screwed up your color) should give the tip to the person who corrected your color as it should NOT be your responsibility to continue paying for a service that was not done correctly to begin with. I've dished out money before to have corrections made and I was upset afterwards that I had to do this. Let us know what happens.

Bam

I can't find a good hair person since I've moved, and I seem to have the same hair problem and have to go in a second time as well. I am so torn about the new girl's tip because it wasn't her fault, but at the same time, I've already paid good $ for getting my hair done and I don't want to go back to stylist #1 for obvious reasons. x(

I find that when I give stylist #1 a $25 tip, stylist #2 gets around $10 or so. I know it's not fair, but to me, getting my hair done is expensive and happens seldom.

I'm still not sure what I will do in a couple weeks once I go back. I've even thought of expressing my thoughts to the owner.

Today when I was at the dentist's office, he asked me if I had done something different to my hair. It must really look bad if a male, whom I don't even really know, noticed! How embarrassing.

The more I think about this situation the more I get anger. I'm having this issue with people not doing their jobs lately, and this is just another example. People just don't seem to have as much pride in their work anymore. it's a shame. I can understand making mistakes, but then not admitting to them and trying to minimize the situation is just unacceptable to me. There needs to be some sort of accountable. OK, I'm done!!

I think the most fair thing would be for the original stylist to give stylist 2 the tip you gave her...but that probably won't happen!

Hi,

Sorry to hear your are having to go through these hair botches. I am trying hard to figure out this term "Breaking the base" . Are they putting an all over color on your regrowth along with highlighting? Are the Highlights the hair that is orange? If you can explain the process(es) that they have done up to this point maybe I can give you some support. How dark is your natural hair color. What color highlights are you trying to acheive? Is it the regrowth only that turned orange?

You may want to consider going to this new stylist for ONLY a consultation and this would give you an opportunity to ask all the question about the correction that she would be doing. This way you have the chance to get a feel for the stylist and if you feel she has the experience in color correction and YOU feel comfortable with her. By just going for a consultation you are not agreeing to have any service done. You are probably wanting to get it corrected as soon as possible, but you may want to go to another salon for a second opinion from a colorist.

Kara

I think the fact that you returned is enough. This was an attempt to save your business and if you thought your hair turned out on the second try I'd go back to her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.