Thyroid-less and Desperate

dm22

Two years ago, I had my thyroid taken out. Now I've just switched from Synthroid to NatureThroid. But I can't lose weight. I don't have a ton to lose - only 10 pounds - but it won't budge.

Just like when I had a thyroid, I work out 6 days a week. I do weights three days a week and cardio three days a week (Cathe or Michelle Dozois). I also walk on my lunch hour about 3 days a week. I do yoga, because it makes me happy, about four days a week. My eating is super healthy with a calorie intake of about 1250-1300/day with a cheat day about every other week.

I'm getting to be absolutely desperate. I've talked to every "expert" I can find but most people only know about hypothyroidism, not thyroidectomies. I can't "boost" my thyroid because I have no thyroid.

Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. To see my workouts, go to my blog - http://itsallabouthasteningslowly.blogspot.com/ - as I chronicle them weekly.

Hi dm22, I have just two quick observations after looking at the workouts listed on your blog. One - for the amount you workout, your calorie intake seems very low. I know it sounds weird to say eat more to lose weight, but that is something you might want to look into. Two, you say you do weights 3 days, and cardio 3 days, but I see a lot more cardio than weight work listed on your blog. I see some metabolic weight work, but how about adding some straight weight lifting workouts? I see you have Cathe Live and there are plenty of total body weight workouts to try. So lift more weights, add more muscle, feed those muscles and burn more fat. Just my two cents!

Last edited:
Hi Catwoman7631 and thank you for the suggestion. I do one straight weight workout at the gym every week. The other weights I do are combined with cardio. I can add in another pure weight workout but my frustration is that this routine worked for me before I lost my thyroid. I had no problems staying at my ideal weight. But without a thyroid, I'm struggling to find the right combination of workouts + calories. If I cut back cardio and eat more (eat more than when I had a thyroid), I just don't see how I will lose wight.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm up for trying it since I obviously need to change something. Has anyone had luck eating MORE and LOSING weight?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm up for trying it since I obviously need to change something. Has anyone had luck eating MORE and LOSING weight?

I don't have personal experience with thyroidectomy, but I will say that, YES, I have had results with eating more and losing weight. Several years ago, I was following the Weight Watchers program and lifting weights with Cathe, but I had hit a plateau. My WW coach kept telling me to cut calories and eat less, but it wasn't working. I finally listened to my body, gave it the calories it needed for my workout program, and the pounds started melting away.

I also want to add my two cents about lifting weights in order to lose weight. Over the past year, I haven't been able to get the scale to budge, in spite of all the cardio and metabolic weight workouts I was doing. So, I committed myself to an STS rotation and reduced my cardio significantly. Three weeks in, and seven pounds down! :):)

Don't be afraid to experiment. What has worked for me in the past, no longer works for me now.

Thank you, karategirl. I really appreciate the feedback.

How many calories did you add when you started the STS rotation. I'm seriously considering doing it; I know I do too much cardio. But, in my defense, doctors, nutritionists, everyone has told me to eat less and exercise more. I can't physically exercise any more at this point. So I think it's time to change how I exercise.

I will experiment!

I agree, cut the cardio some, and add more weights. I have Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) and more weights are definitely the ticket for me. It was so easy when I had a working thyroid. Now it is definitely a balancing act. I wish you luck in finding your balance.

I am hypothyroid too. On naturethroid and cytomel. Diagnosed about two years ago. I switched my diet to gluten free and lower carb. Has worked really well for me. My carbs come mainly from veggies, nuts/seeds, cheese and occasionally fruit. Increasing my good fats and protein actually made me lose weight. I wasn't trying to lose. Just trying to improve my health and thyroid. I was also a cardio junkie. Still prefer it but now have added circuit/metabolic workouts with weights only periodically. Hoping you find something that works.

I haven't experienced hypo nor hyperthyroidism as such. I have gained fat loss, weight loss with more calories than 1200.
I did meal prep because for me it works that way. Although I have type 2 diabetes in close family from my mother side, I have managed to get my self pass through the net.I needed to track and temporarily scrutinize my meal when I lost cause I wanted to prove to myself I could after being
too long on low calorie allowance. I also knew there was no way I could lift heavy consuming 1200. The all idea was simply delusional.
It worked for me. ;)

You have had great advises. I would just add to be patient when you increase your calories. You need to RE-SET your metabolism
on top of your condition. It will take some time but hang in there!

Thanks for the great replies. In a few weeks - after vacation - I'm going to switch things up... Eat more and change my workouts to 50/50 cardio/weights. Maybe that'll help re-calibrate my metabolism.

Thanks for the great replies. In a few weeks - after vacation - I'm going to switch things up... Eat more and change my workouts to 50/50 cardio/weights. Maybe that'll help re-calibrate my metabolism.

Please keep us all posted here. We are eager to hear the outcome of your re-calibration and eventually
inspire and/or LIFT up someone ;). Take care:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.